• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lebanese Band’s Concert Is Canceled After It’s Accused of Blasphemy

danieldemol

Premium Member
Lebanese Band’s Concert Is Canceled After It’s Accused of Blasphemy

‘A Lebanese music festival has canceled a concert by a major indie music band, Mashrou’ Leila, after it was accused of blasphemy and received death threats because a member had shared an image of the singer Madonna as the Virgin Mary.

The controversy has raised questions about religious tolerance and freedom of expression in the relatively moderate, multi-sectarian and Muslim-majority country.

The Byblos International Festival, one of the country’s most popular music events, canceled the Aug. 9 concert by Mashrou’ Leila over fears of “bloodshed” after the image angered the Maronite Christian Church and prompted threats of violence from hard-line Christian critics.’

Read more here: Lebanese Band’s Concert Is Canceled After It’s Accused of Blasphemy

Road Less Traveled

The controversy has raised questions about religious tolerance and freedom of expression in the relatively moderate, multi-sectarian and Muslim-majority country.

Sounds like a publicity exercise they should have been allowed to have without threats of violence imo

They had to have known in advance what would happen. That it would trigger the beast in certain people.

That’s what a lot of publicity exercises do (real or made-up)....they show how easily many people are offended, violent, get flared up over petty things. Or the exercises are even by design to trigger people. This can be used as a tool to gradually diminish and take away certain freedoms of expression. Just as freedom of expression can be used as a tool to trigger certain people. Since it’s not that difficult to assess anyone’s beliefs, what they hold dearly to, knowing human nature...and then know precisely what can be done to trigger them. Predictable programming. Like easy bait. Already knowing in advance how to push the buttons of anyone.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
They had to have known in advance what would happen. That it would trigger the beast in certain people.

That’s what a lot of publicity exercises do (real or made-up)....they show how easily many people are offended, violent, get flared up over petty things. Or the exercises are even by design to trigger people. This can be used as a tool to gradually diminish and take away certain freedoms of expression. Just as freedom of expression can be used as a tool to trigger certain people. Since it’s not that difficult to assess anyone’s beliefs, what they hold dearly to, knowing human nature...and then know precisely what can be done to trigger them. Predictable programming. Like easy bait. Already knowing in advance how to push the buttons of anyone.
Violent response to blasphemy is not a given aspect of human nature, and is easily deprogrammed by normalising dissent or desensitising people to blasphemy through exposure to it from a young age.

In essence what i’m saying is that being sensitive to blasphemy is a choice, not an inevitable aspect of human nature

Road Less Traveled

Violent response to blasphemy is not a given aspect of human nature, and is easily deprogrammed by normalising dissent or desensitising people to blasphemy through exposure to it from a young age.

In essence what i’m saying is that being sensitive to blasphemy is a choice, not an inevitable aspect of human nature

Most of those people I’m sure were indoctrinated, molded from a young age though and had no choice in becoming what they are in having violent responses/reactions to perceived blasphemy.

Definitely agree that if would have never been their default nature had not been programmed that way.

I’m sure that some public freedom of expressions are designed to try and deprogram, de-sensitize. But they also have a lot of of reverse-effects as well. Especially when ‘faith,’ ‘beliefs,’ and ‘god’ come into play. . most are set in stone and will never change. A lot of them would be intent-based, whether good or bad. This one doesn’t seem bad, as a lot of people still came to show their support after the cancellation and put the fanatics under the spotlight. Although Madonna isn’t the greatest influence in my perception, or the ‘like a virgin’ reference. Yet we’ll see what happens as they’ve already been banned from a few countries. By the looks of things and the different groups and authorities that got involved to get it cancelled... it doesn’t look good. But even making a small imprint on some youths, would be beneficial.

Last edited:

Road Less Traveled

Another thing, it’s like an orchestrated joke that was played. They had to have already known the negative reception that Madonna has gotten before in past performing in areas with same/similar religion.

So why not throw her on a Virgin Mary, as a ‘like a virgin’ joke. And another joke of worshipping one idol to another idol in Madonna.

To me, it funny but at the same time I wouldn’t deliberately have stirred up the populace. Now there will probably come with bans on particular performers in the area/country.

Road Less Traveled

People said the same thing about Christianity in the US and look at it’s marked decline.
I think that old individuals may not change but the young ones who replace them can and I hope eventually will change to let go of fanatacisms that belong in the past

I’m all for conquering a lot of doctrines and harmful fanaticism's with any religion. Yet at the same time, it seems like a lot of intent is trying to get youth’s to go from fanaticism’s into ‘worldly’ sleaziness rather than awareness of the garbage in both or the good in both.

And even if the Virgin Mary is a statue or someone that never existed, for me is represents a pure mind giving birth to something good inside of someone. Literal virgins, anything or anyone pure just get mocked in this world. Like taking something that represents virginity/purity and then putting some sleazy lady on it. There are far better ways to decondition and desensitize than a mockery, a joke, and through sleaze.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I’m all for conquering a lot of doctrines and harmful fanaticism's with any religion. Yet at the same time, it seems like a lot of intent is trying to get youth’s to go from fanaticism’s into ‘worldly’ sleaziness rather than awareness of the garbage in both or the good in both.

And even if the Virgin Mary is a statue or someone that never existed, for me is represents a pure mind giving birth to something good inside of someone. Literal virgins, anything or anyone pure just get mocked in this world. Like taking something that represents virginity/purity and then putting some sleazy lady on it. There are far better ways to decondition and desensitize than a mockery, a joke, and through sleaze.
The idea that virginity = purity is in my opinion false. And I think you have your priorities wrong if you consider the mocking of virginity to be a greater sin than threatening people with violence.

Road Less Traveled

The idea that virginity = purity is in my opinion false. And I think you have your priorities wrong if you consider the mocking of virginity to be a greater sin than threatening people with violence.

I understand when someone reads the word ‘Virgin,’ they automatically think ‘someone that has never had sex.’ Yet, I used the alternative definition for it. (Pure, untainted.)

I’d like you to read everything I’ve written in this thread if willing, and show where I’ve ever mentioned that threats with violence are a lesser ‘sin’ than mocking purity. If you feel you need to create someone’s priorities for them in order to tell them they’re wrong, so be it.

Threats with violence, mocking purity, and youth females being like Madonna are all pretty jacked up.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
I understand when someone reads the word ‘Virgin,’ they automatically think ‘someone that has never had sex.’ Yet, I used the alternative definition for it. (Pure, untainted.)

I’d like you to read everything I’ve written in this thread if willing, and show where I’ve ever mentioned that threats with violence are a lesser ‘sin’ than mocking purity. If you feel you need to create someone’s priorities for them in order to tell them they’re wrong, so be it.

Threats with violence, mocking purity, and youth females being like Madonna are all pretty jacked up.
Fair enough, although I’m not overly familiar with Madonna, so I don’t know if your claim that she is impure is worthy or not.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Only one of these things is "pretty jacked up". People's right to free expression is more important than some fanatic feeling offended and getting violent because he thinks his religion was insulted. Stop making excuses for extremist lunatics. What's really offensive here is you equating those things. Besides, if these losers get pissed over a silly pic of Madonna, they'd probably blow my head off over the things I wear and say.

Road Less Traveled

Only one of these things is "pretty jacked up". People's right to free expression is more important than some fanatic feeling offended and getting violent because he thinks his religion was insulted. Stop making excuses for extremist lunatics. What's really offensive here is you equating those things. Besides, if these losers get pissed over a silly pic of Madonna, they'd probably blow my head off over the things I wear and say.

You’re late to the conversation, and a lot of other things said... but feel free to lie and twist my words, accuse me of making excuses, equating things, and being offensive.

Just about every human does this, as have I in the past... so I get it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I’d like you to read everything I’ve written in this thread if willing, [...]

I did, and I think it's an awfully long, pseudo-sophisticated word salad that beats around the bush instead of getting to the core issue--the threats of violence for the mere expression of freedom of speech.

The cancellation of the concert points to an intellectually and culturally stifled environment where dissent of religious thought is often met with hostility and blind hatred. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. This is not exclusive to any specific religion; at this point it seems to be as much a cultural ailment as it is a manifestation of any religious belief. There are millions of religious people elsewhere who don't threaten violence upon feeling offended.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You’re late to the conversation, and a lot of other things said... but feel free to lie and twist my words, accuse me of making excuses, equating things, and being offensive.

Just about every human does this, as have I in the past... so I get it.
I read the posts in this thread. It's okay if you don't have a response but I know how to read, so the problem isn't on my end. You whined about people insulting "purity" and girls being like Madonna and then equated those things with threats of violence. You are the one who wrote the sentence where those three things are listed and said they're "all pretty jacked up".