• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning about people’s faith & what they believe in, how they think about it & try to practice it

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I practice my beliefs at the foundation first of a Universalist philosophy. The first assumption is the limitations of the fallible human nature. No individual ancient or present religion is adequate in and of itself frr a basis for belief or universal nature of humanity and our physical existence. The Universalist view considers the different religions and belief systems objectively first as their place in history and culture where the originated. Science is the only objective basis for the evolving knowledge of the nature of our physical existence. Scientific knowledge is subject to change with new knowledge, where ancient religions and and beleif systems are less open to change based on new information

The traditional tribal nature of humans desire for a sense of of belonging and identity dominates human choices and justification of one belief over another. Most often a version of the religion they were raised in.

From the Universalist perspective I believe in an evolving nature of the human potential for spiritual evolution, This evolving spiritual nature of humanity is expressed as a potential, because most ancient world views are resistant or refuses to change. Clinging to one ancient religion or belief system limits the potential limited freedom of choices,

More to follow . . .

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member
I practice my beliefs at the foundation first of a Universalist philosophy. The first assumption is the limitations of the fallible human nature. No individual ancient or present religion is adequate in and of itself frr a basis for belief or universal nature of humanity and our physical existence. The Universalist view considers the different religions and belief systems objectively first as their place in history and culture where the originated. Science is the only objective basis for the evolving knowledge of the nature of our physical existence. Scientific knowledge is subject to change with new knowledge, where ancient religions and and beleif systems are less open to change based on new information

The traditional tribal nature of humans desire for a sense of of belonging and identity dominates human choices and justification of one belief over another. Most often a version of the religion they were raised in.

From the Universalist perspective I believe in an evolving nature of the human potential for spiritual evolution, This evolving spiritual nature of humanity is expressed as a potential, because most ancient world views are resistant or refuses to change. Clinging to one ancient religion or belief system limits the potential limited freedom of choices,

More to follow . . .
Clinging to one modern religion or belief system limits the potential limited freedom of choices,

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Clinging to one modern religion or belief system limits the potential limited freedom of choices,
There in reality NOT only one modern religion. No it opens up people to the possibility of alternate freedom of choices advance in knowledge based on academic science and history, Clinging to ancient tribal world views limits ones choices and tends to reject the changes and advances in our knowledge, and other religious beliefs as well. This is based on actual polls of peoples beliefs that reject the sciences of evolution and the scientific history of our universe as documented

Beliefs in the exclusiveness of one ancient religion or church limits one to the beliefs of that one church or religion.Our knowledge of academic science and history changes over time ancient tribal religions are resistant to change and often refuse to change.

Last edited:

Tomef

NOTE: I intentionally posted this in the Interfaith forum, which I thought was a non-debate forum.

I’ll be inviting people here to ask them questions about their faith, not as representatives of their religion or other association, but about how they think about it personally and try to practice it. I have some specific people in mind, but if anyone would like to volunteer for it, I’m interested.

(later) It doesn’t have to be a religious faith. It can be any way of life a person believes in and tries to practice.
I try to find ways to justify the behaviours my brain dictates.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
NOTE: I intentionally posted this in the Interfaith forum, which I thought was a non-debate forum.

I’ll be inviting people here to ask them questions about their faith, not as representatives of their religion or other association, but about how they think about it personally and try to practice it. I have some specific people in mind, but if anyone would like to volunteer for it, I’m interested.

(later) It doesn’t have to be a religious faith. It can be any way of life a person believes in and tries to practice.
So have you learned anything here yet? If so, what?

Niatero

*banned*
So have you learned anything here yet? If so, what?
I always learn from every conversation. I don't remember what I learned from the ones in this thread. Would you like me to go back through it and try to remember? It would mostly be about how some specific people think about their faith and practice it, because that was my purpose in this thread.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I always learn from every conversation. I don't remember what I learned from the ones in this thread. Would you like me to go back through it and try to remember? It would mostly be about how some specific people think about their faith and practice it, because that was my purpose in this thread.
For me, certain things will stick out. I think that's what I meant, but I'm a 'between the lines' reader, so here I often learn as much about the individual than what the individual says. I think if you retain it, you learned it. But so often there is just the 'that's insightful' single thought, with no retention.

Niatero

*banned*
For me, certain things will stick out. I think that's what I meant, but I'm a 'between the lines' reader, so here I often learn as much about the individual than what the individual says. I think if you retain it, you learned it. But so often there is just the 'that's insightful' single thought, with no retention.
I might be able to list some things that I've learned from discussions in this forum, but they aren't associated in my mind with any specific threads.

jimb

Premium Member
There in reality NOT only one modern religion. No it opens up people to the possibility of alternate freedom of choices advance in knowledge based on academic science and history, Clinging to ancient tribal world views limits ones choices and tends to reject the changes and advances in our knowledge, and other religious beliefs as well. This is based on actual polls of peoples beliefs that reject the sciences of evolution and the scientific history of our universe as documented

Beliefs in the exclusiveness of one ancient religion or church limits one to the beliefs of that one church or religion.Our knowledge of academic science and history changes over time ancient tribal religions are resistant to change and often refuse to change.
"Ancient tribal world views"? LOL! "Advances in our knowledge"? LOL! "Polls"? LOL! "Scientific history of our universe"? LOL!

Belief in the exclusiveness of anything, including science, limits one's knowledge.

"Ancient tribal religions" clearly shows your bias, and that you don't know what you're talking about.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
"Ancient tribal world views"? LOL! "Advances in our knowledge"? LOL! "Polls"? LOL! "Scientific history of our universe"? LOL!
Yes as documented nad you blindly fail to acknowledge.
Belief in the exclusiveness of anything, including science, limits one's knowledge.
Academic science and history evolves and changes as new knowledge is available, Ancient religions do not. It is the ancient tribal religions that believe in the exclusiveness of their belief.

Like you, the exclusiveness of you beliefs is clear and specific in spades: "only those that believe as you do understand the truth."
"Ancient tribal religions" clearly shows your bias, and that you don't know what you're talking about.
Yes, I am most definitely biased concerning the advancing knowledge of science and history that is open to the increase in the freedom of choices as knowledge increases. You view is entrenched in "only those that believe as you do know the truth." This view limits the freedom choices as new knowledge becomes available foe the change in the evolution of knowledge.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I have a faith, but no rituals nor practices. My faith is internalized with the hope and understanding that will produce my actions naturally. I figure if I can reach my heart with right understandings then my actions will flow from that.

jimb

Premium Member
Yes as documented nad you blindly fail to acknowledge.

Academic science and history evolves and changes as new knowledge is available, Ancient religions do not. It is the ancient tribal religions that believe in the exclusiveness of their belief.

Like you, the exclusiveness of you beliefs is clear and specific in spades: "only those that believe as you do understand the truth."

Yes, I am most definitely biased concerning the advancing knowledge of science and history that is open to the increase in the freedom of choices as knowledge increases. You view is entrenched in "only those that believe as you do know the truth." This view limits the freedom choices as new knowledge becomes available foe the change in the evolution of knowledge.
a) documented by whom?
b) Clearly you have no understanding of religious beliefs
c) and only those who believe as you do think they understand the truth
d) thank you for admitting your thinking is biased
e) you believe that knowledge evolves, but say nothing about faith. That shows your clear lack of understanding of spiritual things.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
**Interfaith Discussion is for just that, discussion. Any debating is subject to moderation by Rule 10.**
10. Debating in Non-debate Forums or Posting in DIR/ONLY Forums
Religious forums is structured to provide spaces for many different kinds of conversations. Different kinds of conversations belong in different areas of the forum:

1) Debates should be kept to the debate areas of the forums, including Religious Debates, General Debates, and Political Debates. Debating anywhere other than these forums may result in moderation. Same Faith Debates is governed by special rules described here. Only members of the specified groups(s) can participate in these threads.

2) All DIR (Discuss Individual Religions) forums are for the use of members who identify with those groups or practices. Debating is not permitted in DIRs; debates between members of specified groups should be posted in Same Faith Debates. A member may select up to a maximum of three (3) DIRs with which they identify. A member may change their selection of DIRs at any time, but the total number of DIRs selected must never exceed three (3). Members who do not identify with a DIR group may not post in that DIR section; we recommend creating a thread in the Religions Q&A instead where there is more freedom to comment. DIR forums are not to be used as a cover to bash others outside of the DIR group.

3) The Political World forum has several "only" subforums that are for the use of members who identify with those political leanings. Members who do not identify with those political leanings are not allowed to post there. "Only" subforums are not to be used as a cover to bash others outside of the "Only" group.