• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning about "no identity"

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When listening to a sufi master something "clicked" in my mind :) (in a good way)
He said, to truly be a sufi one should not identify as a sufi :confused: I was thinking WUT...come on:eek:
A sufi is someone who do not identify with anything (self identify with the body and mind) And when one seeking a selfless lifestyle...there is suddenly no sufi to be identified by :oops:

Other people will identify you by what you say, do or think....but as a being who seek no identity sufism become conter intuitive to the path. you identify as something, that mean you are not free of self.....

:confused: Mister "Conscious thoughts has a bit more work to do" :oops:

Last edited:

Orbit

I'm a planet
That's very Taoist. They have a concept called "wu wei" which is "trying-not trying" or "doing-not doing" roughly. It's the idea that when you find your path, there is no striving, or trying, you simply "are".

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That's very Taoist. They have a concept called "wu wei" which is "trying-not trying" or "doing-not doing" roughly. It's the idea that when you find your path, there is no striving, or trying, you simply "are".
Yes, i seen this in Tao too ( the little i looked in to it)
But if one look in to any spiritual/religious path there will be aspects of no identity too. the teaching of how to get to the wisdom is different, but they speak about very similar issues :)

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
That does come across as very wise to me!

Labels have their use, in a very limited way... Ultimately they are superficial, though. All they really do is to make conversation less confusing. They don't actually carry any real identity with them, however.

@Conscious thoughts the Sufi is going to be different than any other Sufi, as his experiences will be different than any one else's, so then that label begins to lose any definition beyond a surface description for a religious path. What's more, our own understandings of what a word even means differs from person to person, so my idea of what a Sufi is will be unique to me.

All things are this way.

Where I work, I talk to people who are going through hard things in life... Sometimes the conversations become philosophical or spiritual in nature. They assume I'm religious or spiritual, and it surprises them when they learn that I am a naturalist and an atheist. Those labels don't really describe who I am as a person, though.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That does come across as very wise to me!

Labels have their use, in a very limited way... Ultimately they are superficial, though. All they really do is to make conversation less confusing. They don't actually carry any real identity with them, however.

@Conscious thoughts the Sufi is going to be different than any other Sufi, as his experiences will be different than any one else's, so then that label begins to lose any definition beyond a surface description for a religious path. What's more, our own understandings of what a word even means differs from person to person, so my idea of what a Sufi is will be unique to me.

All things are this way.

Where I work, I talk to people who are going through hard things in life... Sometimes the conversations become philosophical or spiritual in nature. They assume I'm religious or spiritual, and it surprises them when they learn that I am a naturalist and an atheist. Those labels don't really describe who I am as a person, though.
When asked "What does it mean to be religious or spiritual" the answer will be different no matter who one ask :) It is important to let those who have an answer be able to tell their understanding, without putting our ego infront of us and say "No, you are wrong"
It is better to ask "how did you come to that answer?" and then accept the answer that is given.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Conscious Thoughts is not defined as Sufi, rather being a Sufi has became an expression of who he is.

Hmm. Likewise, god is not god because of the existence of creation, he is god because of the act of creating.

In other words, we are not defined by our identity, but our expression of it.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Conscious Thoughts is not defined as Sufi, rather being a Sufi has became an expression of who he is.

Likewise, god is not defined as a creator, but is a creator because creation is an expression of who he is.

In other words, we are not defined by our identity, but our expression of it.
How does one respond to wisdom like that.....

The Crimson Universe

In Advaita Vedanta (Hinduistic Monism) we are also told to give up our identity with the body, mind and ego, since we are neither body, nor mind, nor ego, nor the social status or labels we acquire while we live on earth. We are pure Spirit / Consciousness. :)

MonkeyFire

IMO were not free from self, but it is in a deep meditated slumber waiting us in the midst of heavenly paradise in perfect condition, while he placed his consciousness in a body he created for a purpose, without a self, that I may be liberated from samsara.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Hazrat Inayat Khan who brought Chisti Sufism to the West had this to say that to me applies to the OP

From his discourse "Freedom of the Sufi":

Sufism cannot be called a religion because it is free from principles, distinctions and differences, the very basis on which religions are founded; neither can it be called a philosophy, because philosophy teaches the study of nature in its qualities and varieties, whereas Sufism teaches unity. Therefore it may best be called simply the training of the view. The word Sufi implies purity, and purity contains two qualities. Pure means unmixed with any other element, or in other words that which exists in its own element, unalloyed and unstained. The second quality of purity is great adaptability.

Such is also the nature of the Sufi. In the first place he purifies himself by keeping the vision of God constantly before him, not allowing the stains of earthly differences and distinctions to be mirrored upon his heart, nor good or bad society, nor intercourse with high- or low- class people. Nor can a faith or a belief ever interfere with his purity.

The Sufi shows his universal brotherhood in his adaptability. Among Christians he is a Christian, among Jews he is a Jew, among Muslims he is a Muslim, among Hindus he is a Hindu;...