• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learned and Adapted Behaviors

nPeace

Veteran Member
Cockroaches do not need light, in order to see what they eat.
I do. I don't have a light of my own, so I depend on what's available.
Interestingly, for all the years of life, scientists give to mammals, none have evolved light.
Yet, we see... not in millions of years, but a lifetime, teeth of mammals develop.

What does this tell us?
It tells me certain things can develop even through adaptation, while other things may not, but can be a feature of design... like lights.
See how genes play a role in this.
These can be used in conjunction with a "natural feature"

For example, the angler fish might use light to feed on vegetation in it's original state, but it does so for its new diet as well.

Like the bonnethead shark.
The bonnethead shark's diet of seagrass has researchers stumped
Scientists have discovered that some sharks are eating a large amount of seagrass, as a significant part of their diet—but experts aren’t sure why the fish are deviating from their traditional carnivorous diet.

New research has shown that seagrass can make up more than 50 percent of a bonnethead shark’s diet. The small, shovel-headed sharks are closely related to the more familiar hammerheads.

The scientists are arguing on this one also. "Well maybe they are not feeding on the grass. Maybe they are eating other animals that feed on grass."
"Yeah, let's wait until they feed then eat them." :D Ha Ha

While they argue that out...
It turns out whale sharks aren’t full carnivores, a new study has found.
Veggie-eating shark surprises scientists
Whale sharks ... are sharks, so it’s long been believed these gentle giants rely almost exclusively on animal protein.

That’s not what an intriguing new study published this month in the journal Ecological Monographs found, though. Careful investigation of blood and tissue samples from over a dozen whale sharks suggests that they actually have a pretty omnivorous diet that includes plants and algae.

Careful investigation. There we go.
Oops.
There’s usually a bit of a catch, though. While stable isotopes are frequently used to infer animal diets, the method often relies on making assumptions about how the animals process the nutrients from their foods.
:facepalm:

LOL. I guess that for the most part, is what the scientist, and fellow believers, have to go on - inferences that require making some assumptions, which are not necessarily correct... or just dead wrong.
Unless of course, the scientists are actually willing to carry out actual practical experiments that can produce actual evidence...

The world's first omnivorous sharks have been confirmed by scientists, who say the bonnethead shark is the first and apparently only of its kind to get nutrients from vegetation
At the time, it was not clear if they were eating the seagrass because it formed part of their diet. It is accepted that sharks are uniformly carnivorous, so it was assumed the sharks could be ingesting seagrass by accident.

The team fed captive sharks a diet made up of 90% seagrass and 10% squid. They then analyzed how well they digested and assimilated seagrass material. Findings showed the sharks were able to digest the seagrass with "at least moderate efficiency," revealing it could retain nutrients and potentially survive on vegetation alone.

Now that's what I call science. Scientists have now confirmed bonnetheads are, indeed, omnivores, on the basis of actual experimentation.

However, if things like these baffles scientists, why would anyone think that they might not be baffled by other things of that nature. I can only think of one reason why that would be.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Archaeopteryx - Wikipedia
Archaeopteryx was generally accepted by palaeontologists and popular reference books as the oldest known bird
Archaeopteryx was long considered to be the beginning of the evolutionary tree of birds. However, in recent years, the discovery of several small, feathered dinosaurs has created a mystery for palaeontologists, raising questions about which animals are the ancestors of modern birds and which are their relatives

Oh. Mommy, look. It's a bird.
No, it's a dino.
No. It's DinoBird.
:shrug:

Meanwhile...
While scientists continue to argue, the world keeps on turning.
giphy.gif

...and getting more and more chaotic.
The only person surprised to learn that dinosaurs and birds are closely related is you, apparently. :shrug:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Ah. I see.
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and
will create itself from nothing," he writes. "Spontaneous
creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing,
why the universe exists, why we exist.

What Hawking is saying, is the universe "spontaneously created itself"
m1709.gif
from nothing - another way of saying, "the universe is like the Trinitarian Jesus who resurrected himself from the dead" Or, "the universe is like the genie that was releases by the "Law of gravity" tripping." Or... :p

On the serious tip though, YoursTrue, he is saying, that the "law of gravity" set off the expansion they call the Big Bang.
However, to me, that is saying that it is not a law, when it does something different to what it has been doing normally.

However, they will tell you that the Big Bang, is one of many, which occurs every xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx years. So, it is normal.
This is all wishful thinking though. No one can tell us what caused this super inflation, and what slowed it.

They all have their ideas, but some scientist think they are appealing to magic, or miracles.
It's all conjectured, as you rightly pointed out.
Yes. I've been reading more by esteemed scientists and their possibilities are just that -- imaginings. As many have pointed out, no proof.

YoursTrue

Interestingly, for all the years of life, scientists give to mammals, none have evolved light.
Yet, we see... not in millions of years, but a lifetime, teeth of mammals develop.

What does this tell us?
It tells me certain things can develop even through adaptation, while other things may not, but can be a feature of design... like lights.

For example, the angler fish might use light to feed on vegetation in it's original state, but it does so for its new diet as well.

Scientists have discovered that some sharks are eating a large amount of seagrass, as a significant part of their diet—but experts aren’t sure why the fish are deviating from their traditional carnivorous diet.

New research has shown that seagrass can make up more than 50 percent of a bonnethead shark’s diet. The small, shovel-headed sharks are closely related to the more familiar hammerheads.

The scientists are arguing on this one also. "Well maybe they are not feeding on the grass. Maybe they are eating other animals that feed on grass."

Whale sharks ... are sharks, so it’s long been believed these gentle giants rely almost exclusively on animal protein.

That’s not what an intriguing new study published this month in the journal Ecological Monographs found, though. Careful investigation of blood and tissue samples from over a dozen whale sharks suggests that they actually have a pretty omnivorous diet that includes plants and algae.

Oops.
There’s usually a bit of a catch, though. While stable isotopes are frequently used to infer animal diets, the method often relies on making assumptions about how the animals process the nutrients from their foods.

LOL. I guess that for the most part, is what the scientist, and fellow believers, have to go on - inferences that require making some assumptions, which are not necessarily correct... or just dead wrong.
Unless of course, the scientists are actually willing to carry out actual practical experiments that can produce actual evidence...

The world's first omnivorous sharks have been confirmed by scientists, who say the bonnethead shark is the first and apparently only of its kind to get nutrients from vegetation
At the time, it was not clear if they were eating the seagrass because it formed part of their diet. It is accepted that sharks are uniformly carnivorous, so it was assumed the sharks could be ingesting seagrass by accident.

The team fed captive sharks a diet made up of 90% seagrass and 10% squid. They then analyzed how well they digested and assimilated seagrass material. Findings showed the sharks were able to digest the seagrass with "at least moderate efficiency," revealing it could retain nutrients and potentially survive on vegetation alone.

Now that's what I call science. Scientists have now confirmed bonnetheads are, indeed, omnivores, on the basis of actual experimentation.

However, if things like these baffles scientists, why would anyone think that they might not be baffled by other things of that nature. I can only think of one reason why that would be.
Some honest scientists do relay what they think might have been, but of course, they don't "know." Yet they also realize that life exists on the earth because the atmosphere is just perfect for it, with light also just right. They describe the events as if maybe it came about by natural causes, but there is no proof of that. Yet Genesis amazingly provides the series of events that happened to set up life on the earth. I also re-read Genesis account and see that each 'day' (a figurative time element) was done. (Except of course for the last 'day'.)

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

What does this tell us?

Oops.

What I get out of this post is the illogical conclusion that if scientists don't know everything, then what YOU believe without benefit of any reason or evidence is true by default.

It doesn't work that way, but feel free to continue to be wrong. You have that right.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Some honest scientists do relay what they think might have been, but of course, they don't "know." Yet they also realize that life exists on the earth because the atmosphere is just perfect for it, with light also just right. They describe the events as if maybe it came about by natural causes, but there is no proof of that. Yet Genesis amazingly provides the series of events that happened to set up life on the earth. I also re-read Genesis account and see that each 'day' (a figurative time element) was done. (Except of course for the last 'day'.)
Genesis is amazingly wrong about that, actually.

David Davidovich

Archaeopteryx - Wikipedia
Archaeopteryx was generally accepted by palaeontologists and popular reference books as the oldest known bird
Archaeopteryx was long considered to be the beginning of the evolutionary tree of birds. However, in recent years, the discovery of several small, feathered dinosaurs has created a mystery for palaeontologists, raising questions about which animals are the ancestors of modern birds and which are their relatives

No, it's a dino.
No. It's DinoBird.
:shrug:

I don't understand your confusion. Science is about learning and discovery. Because you and I and others wouldn't even be able to have this conversation on a computer if it weren't for scientists and inventors such as Charles Babbage, Alan Turing, Michael Faraday, Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, Albert Einstein and others. But it's not as if they knew all their knowledge from birth. However, they learned by trial and error, and I'm sure had quite a few disagreements with other people. Therefore, I don't understand how you can use that logic as a basis for an argument.

Meanwhile...
While scientists continue to argue, the world keeps on turning.
giphy.gif

...and getting more and more chaotic.

That has absolutely nothing to do with this topic, but if anything, sounds more like a soft form of proselytizing.

David Davidovich

Thank you, nPeace. Also, see my quote below.

click here: If birds descended from dinosaurs, why are they warm-blooded? › Ask an Expert (ABC Science)

After an explanation of a complicated fossil study, this next article quote goes on to explain the results:

click here: Were dinosaurs warm or cold-blooded? Scientists might finally have an answer (inverse.com)

So, nPeace, tell me what kind of birds have teeth? Also, do you mind showing us the links to the articles for your quotes?

Also, it's okay if you ignore some of my questions, @nPeace. Because that only deteriorates my confidence (if any) in your answers or the faith group that you represent.

David Davidovich

So far no one, and I mean no one has seen fish transforming by "natural selection" into landlubbers. In fact, the entire idea of fish "naturally evolving by natural selection" to air-breathing landlubbers is ridiculous.

Yes, very ridiculous. LOL :smile:

Look @YoursTrue Hairy fish. :laughing:

Well, perhaps not fish, but they are mammals that lay eggs like either fish or reptiles. Therefore, an animal with an intermediate stage is not as ridiculous as YoursTrue stated. ;)

The reason that odd, egg-laying mammals still exist today may be because their ancestors took to the water, scientists now suggest.

The egg-laying mammals — the monotremes, including the platypus and spiny anteaters — are eccentric relatives to the rest of mammals, which bear live young. In addition to laying eggs, other quirks make them seem more like reptiles than our kin. They have a reptilian gait with legs on the sides rather than underneath the body, for instance, and a single duct for urine, feces and sex instead of multiple openings.

click here: Why Odd Egg-Laying Mammals Still Exist | Live Science

Also, here is a very interesting 3-minute video:

YoursTrue

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
No, it's a dino.
No. It's DinoBird.

Exactly as we would expect from a process like evolution, where there are no clear lines between species, but where it rather is a blurry gradual mess going from one to the other.

Just like with this one here

upload_2023-2-17_13-41-16.png

Which are human and which aren't?

It's rather clear for the extremes. Not so much for the middle ones.

It all comes down to what is beautifully reflected in this analogy:

upload_2023-2-17_13-43-20.png

Having said that........... let's not forget that unraveling evolutionary history is one thing. Detailing and confirming that the evolutionary process took place, is another.

But I wouldn't expect intellectually dishonest creationists to acknowledge such.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

What does this tell us?

2 things.

First, that you'll grasp at any straw you can think of.
Second, that there are many ways to be alive and live.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Yes. I've been reading more by esteemed scientists and their possibilities are just that -- imaginings. As many have pointed out, no proof.

Maybe you should read the book and the do an effort to understand the papers, instead of just take the quote mine and pretend that that's all that was said about it.

Then again, that would actually require you to open your mind for an inch or two and actually be prepared to spend some energy learning and reading.

And you aren't prepared to do any of that, are you?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
As I don't have a pre human personal motive.

I think.

I look at animals.

Big giant animals like dinosaurs are elephant and maybe giraffe. About size of a living body.

I see birds living beside them..
on top of their backs or flying in the sky.

Small types to large body types living together.

No dinosaurs living anywhere in discussing biology. As it's medical body present to be biology. Or genesis.

What is biology..
The living. DNA is exactly inside living body as body owner.

I don't lie for peer reviews. Self rewards or monetary benefits. I'm not pretending I'm a God who created all things then changed all things.

Reason as I'm human.

I'm born by human sex a baby. The first two humans were the first two humans.

Correct scientific human used terms.

Behaviour...whom pretends they created all things then changed all things. As in self presence they do and had changed all things?

Human men scientists.

David Davidovich

What does this tell us?

Oops.

Is this a response to my question about anglerfish since @nPeace never quotes my posts or never directly talks to me, but only refers to me in the third person? Because I didn't really want to spend time reading all this prattle, however, I did see the word "light" so I'm wondering if this is @nPeace's response to my speculation question about the anglerfish in post #143 and my other question about angler fish in post #205.

David Davidovich

Is this a response to my question about anglerfish since @nPeace never quotes my posts or never directly talks to me, but only refers to me in the third person? Because I didn't really want to spend time reading all this prattle, however, I did see the word "light" so I'm wondering if this is @nPeace's response to my speculation question about the anglerfish in post #143 and my other question about angler fish in post #205.

I guess no one else knows either.