• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS Questions and Debates

FFH

Veteran Member
Ask questions, discuss, debate...

The LDS church has standard answers to questions, which I think most if not all are aware of, but it makes for a more interesting conversation to expand on these basic truths..within reason...

Basic doctrines are discussed in LDS meeting houses and most of us never really get into deep doctrines or speculations in any church setting, but only in our personal studies...

Speculations and debates welcome here.

If you want to ask me a personal question about myself or my beliefs that's fine too.

jonny

Why do we need yet another one of these threads? I never got this question answered in the last one of these that you started.

jonny

What are the coordinates of Kolob? Can you see it from earth? Is it or isn't it in our universe? How long do you think it will be before we have a shuttle capable of getting there? Do you think we'll make it back to Kolob before Christ returns for His Second Coming?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The LDS church has standard answers to questions, which I think most if not all are aware of, but it makes for a more interesting conversation to expand on these basic truths..

Well, here's my two cents worth:

Harold B. Lee: All that we teach in this Church ought to be couched in the scriptures. … We ought to choose our texts from the scriptures, and wherever you have an illustration in the scriptures or a revelation in the Book of Mormon, use it, and do not draw from other sources where you can find it here in these books. We call these the standard Church works because they are standard. If you want to measure truth, measure it by the four standard Church works. … If it is not in the standard works, you may well assume that it is speculation. It is man’s own personal opinion, to put it another way; and if it contradicts what is in the scriptures, you may know by that same token that it is not true. This is the standard by which you measure all truth. But if you do not know the standards, you have no adequate measure of truth.

Joseph F. McConkie: In presenting a lesson there are many ways for the undisciplined teacher to stray from the path that leads to his objective. One of the most common temptations is to speculate on matters about which the Lord has said very little. The disciplined teacher has the courage to say, ‘I don’t know,’ and leave it at that. As President Joseph F. Smith said, ‘It is no discredit to our intelligence or to our integrity to say frankly in the face of a hundred speculative questions, “I don’t know” ’

J. Reuben Clark Jr.: Only the President of the Church, the Presiding High Priest, is sustained as Prophet, Seer, and Revelator for the Church, and he alone has the right to receive revelations for the Church, either new or amendatory, or to give authoritative interpretations of scriptures that shall be binding on the Church, or change in any way the existing doctrines of the Church”. We should not teach our private interpretation of gospel principles or the scriptures.

Elder Spencer W. Kimball: There are those today who seem to take pride in disagreeing with the orthodox teachings of the Church and who present their own opinions which are at variance with the revealed truth. Some may be partially innocent in the matter; others are feeding their own egotism; and some seem to be deliberate. Men may think as they please, but they have no right to impose upon others their unorthodox views. Such persons should realize that their own souls are in jeopardy.”

Wilford Woodruff: I wish to say that in my acquaintance in this Church, I have seen men, from time to time rise up and try to be servants of God. They try to explain things they know nothing about, to make themselves appear clever. There is a great deal of this kind of thing in this age. There was one of the leading Elders of the Church who went before the people and undertook to preach certain principles. Joseph heard of it and desired him to present the doctrine to him in writing. He wrote it, and when he completed it read it to the Prophet. He asked Joseph what he thought of it. “Why,” said Joseph, “it is a beautiful system, I have but one fault to find with it—” “What is that, Brother Joseph?” Joseph said—“It is not true.” So I say, every little while someone, thinking he is smart, tries to teach something that is not in the Doctrine and Covenants and Church works, and which is not true. … Do not speculate on things you know nothing about, for it will benefit no one.

FFH

Veteran Member
Harold B. Lee said:
This is the standard by which you measure all truth. But if you do not know the standards, you have no adequate measure of truth.
Another distant relative, as is Hugh B. Brown, whom you've also quoted, yet he's closer. My mom's maiden name is Brown and Hugh is my Grandfather's brother or uncle, can't remember which. Seen him at a funeral, but that's about it..

Again, Katzpur I totally agree, and I measure all that I investigate, with what is written in scripture...

We have the right to receive personal revelation, concerning any truth, according to scripture.

There is a wealth of truth out there. The LDS church and it's leaders aren't going to hold our hands, concerning every matter of truth that's out there....

We have the right to investigate things outside our basic beliefs. There is absolutely no harm in this, for instance, the Shroud of Turin, and what was the other thing we were discussing ????.....long pause.... oops brain freeze....oh yeah....whether Christ was married or not...

Liven up a bit, and discuss these issues. It's all good....and sort of fun to break away from what we already know...

This is a liberal religious forum, not an LDS one...no more dislclaimers needed, especially if I'm in the general religious debates section and not the LDS DIR section.

You are a perfectionist, I can tell, I used to be too, until my life was pretty much turned upside down and everything I owned seemed to slip away from me, now all I see is Christ and his goodness in my life, no riches required, just his goodness..

Last year I lost 20 grand....

This life is not in any way perfect and it never will be and we will mess up to one degree or another...

I've felt the perfect love of Christ flood my being and it's wonderful, way beyond just feeiling the spirit, when the spirit touches you, and you get chills, but it's a feeling of perfection, like everything is perfect and unbroken, physically and spiritually and all things are made new again....

Perfection is only found in Christ's love... He is the source of perfection, not us...

We can imitate that which is perfect, but can never be perfected without Christ's love and his atoning sacrifice for us...

FFH

Veteran Member
The scripture which is flooding my mind right now is...

"Perfect love casts out all fear"
~ Jesus ~

FFH

Veteran Member
Tell us about the LDS obsession with Jello salad. Is there anything that they won't put into Jello?
Where's that Jello thread someone did a while back ???

FOR LDS: Jello? (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page)

The obsession of Jello stems from being so cheap, scrimping and saving money at any cost, for instance, at the expense of one's health, so those practicing this tradition, can take one more trip to Lake Powell or San Diego or buy a bigger house or fancier car or cabin in the woods...

Horrible, I hate Jello and won't ever eat it again...

Bishka

Veteran Member
The obsession of Jello stems from being so cheap, scrimping and saving money at any cost, for instance, at the expense of one's health, so those practicing this tradition, can take one more trip to Lake Powell or San Diego or buy a bigger house or fancier car or cabin in the woods...

Or their bullet bikes. :rolleyes:

FFH

Veteran Member
Or their bullet bikes. :rolleyes:
I don't own a car, but yes I ride a 19 year old bullet bike to work that I bought ten years ago for 900 bucks...just rode it to work today and do throughout the winter.

My wife doesn't drive or have a license...

So seriously we have no car it saves me a boat load of money so we can eat right...

NO JELL-O smoothies for me...

Edit: Actually I own a car it just has not moved for over two years.. 87 Honda Accord. Anyone wants it it's all yours...

Bishka

Veteran Member
I don't own a car, but yes I ride a 19 year old bullet bike to work that I bought ten years ago for 900 bucks...

My wife doesn't drive or have a license...

So seriously we have no car it saves me a boat load of money so we can eat right...

NO JELL-O smoothies for me...

Edit: Actually I own a car it just has not moved for over two years.. 87 Honda Accord. Anyone wants it it's all yours...

So what does your wife do all day? Sit at home like a good 'stay-at-home' wife?

FFH

Veteran Member
So what does your wife do all day? Sit at home like a good 'stay-at-home' wife?
Yeah, that's all she wants to do...

She's too scared to drive and no one can convince her to...

Edit: She just gets rides from people in the ward..

madhatter85

Transhumanist
My wife is a stay-at-home wife as well. she likes it that way because then she has enough time to herself to relax, work out, read, write. (she has a batchelor's in English). And i prefer it that way, she takes care of the house, i make the money.
she takes care of the bills, i take out the trash. I'm especially greatful to her becasue every time i look in the dresser i have clean clothes... She's an amazing woman.

FFH

Veteran Member
My wife is a stay-at-home wife as well. she likes it that way because then she has enough time to herself to relax, work out, read, write. (she has a batchelor's in English). And i prefer it that way, she takes care of the house, i make the money.
she takes care of the bills, i take out the trash. I'm especially greatful to her becasue every time i look in the dresser i have clean clothes... She's an amazing woman.
Sounds like my wife exactly, except for the paying the bills part... ours is all automatically deducted...

FFH

Veteran Member
You give a person a fish, you feed them for a day, you teach them how to fish and feed them for a lifetime.
Yeah, well, she doesn't want to be taught how to drive.

She took driving lessons and nearly got her and her instructor killed and the instructor said it would be better if she stayed off the road..:(

I do all the grocery shopping, she doesn't do any of that and I don't mind at all, I like to shop and like doing laundry so we fight over it.. hehe.. its funny...and we usually cook together...or fix seperate things...