• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS question about becoming a God.

lovedmb

Each degree of glory has a "kingdom" associated with it. We refer to them as the Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial Kingdoms. The Celestial Kingdom is the highest of the three. Those who enter into this degree of glory will receive "all that the father hath" and will become like God.
I took this from the LDS thread, because I have a specific question for discussion that is a bit off topic to that thread. (the quote was from a post made by jonny)

This is something that has always made me scratch my head, but I always kind of shelved it, so I want to present it here.

My questions are:

Do you believe that God is unchanging?
If you are LDS, do you believe that you will become like God?
If God is unchanging does that mean you will be equal to God at some point, and thereby negate his Godhood?

Input from others is welcome, I really would be interested in how others view this doctrine.

Bishka

Veteran Member
lovedmb said:
I took this from the LDS thread, because I have a specific question for discussion that is a bit off topic to that thread. (the quote was from a post made by jonny)

This is something that has always made me scratch my head, but I always kind of shelved it, so I want to present it here.

My questions are:

If you are LDS, do you believe that you will become like God?
If God is unchanging does that mean you will be equal to God at some point, and thereby negate his Godhood?

Input from others is welcome, I really would be interested in how others view this doctrine.
We will NEVER be equal to God, ever. God is so far above us. I'll leave this to Johnny and Nutshell and Soyleche, because I'll end up making myself look like an idiot.

lovedmb

beckysoup61 said:
We will NEVER be equal to God, ever. God is so far above us. I'll leave this to Johnny and Nutshell and Soyleche, because I'll end up making myself look like an idiot.
So you believe God is changing?

illyena

lovedmb said:

My questions are:

We believe that God was once a man, that he himself started out as a spirit child in the premortal realm, that he worshiped a God that was the father of his spirit just as he is the Father of ours. That he kept the covenants of the plan of salvation on his world and was resurrected, attained the Celestial Kingdom and became A God, then went on to create countless worlds and have countless spirit children, then he places many of us(his spirit children) on this earth and became OUR God, now we follow the same path as him and may someday become Gods of our own worlds provided that we keep our covenants. God will always be a God and his Godhood will never cease, it is a plan of progress and increasing Glory, the glory of our Becoming like him belongs to him, or in simpler term, our performance increases his Glory or relects well upon him. He will always be higher up than us in degrees of glory, he will always be our Father.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
illyena said:
We believe that God was once a man, that he himself started out as a spirit child in the premortal realm, that he worshiped a God that was the father of his spirit just as he is the Father of ours. That he kept the covenants of the plan of salvation on his world and was resurrected, attained the Celestial Kingdom and became A God, then went on to create countless worlds and have countless spirit children, then he places many of us(his spirit children) on this earth and became OUR God, now we follow the same path as him and may someday become Gods of our own worlds provided that we keep our covenants. God will always be a God and his Godhood will never cease, it is a plan of progress and increasing Glory, the glory of our Becoming like him belongs to him, or in simpler term, our performance increases his Glory or relects well upon him. He will always be higher up than us in degrees of glory, he will always be our Father.
Finally, someone summed it up into one paragraph. I've been confused about this for a while now.

lovedmb

illyena said:
So you won't *really* be like God. As he is always your God. Right? So you will always have more to strive for? Is there something greater than being all powerful for eternity?
How can you be all powerful, the Word, God, if there is someone more powerful than you? Does God have a God?

dan

God is unchanging, but our glory adds to His glory. If you want to think of that growth in glory as change then be my guest.

We are commanded by Jesus Christ to be perfect, even as God is perfect. We believe we have within us (as His offspring) the potential to become like Him. As we grow and become more like Him we add to His glory. We can never catch up to Him because our glory always amplifies His.

We believe the mission of God is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. I was speaking with a Hebrew professor today about the meaning of Hebrew words translated "LORD our God" in the Old Testament. יְהוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ We cannot be sure of the transliteration of this because the word we pronounce as "Jehovah" is incorrect. That word hasn't been pronounced in about 2,000 years. No one knows what it means, though. The best guess that people have is that it is a conjugation of the Hebrew verb lihiyot, which means "to cause to be." Elohim, the other half of the phrase, means god or gods. If the "to cause to be" theory is correct (and it's the best guess right now) then the phrase "LORD my (your) God" repeated throughout the Old Testament means "One who causes gods to be."

I don't think it wrong to believe that our Father in Heaven wants us to grow up to be like Him.

dan

lovedmb said:
So you won't *really* be like God. As he is always your God. Right? So you will always have more to strive for? Is there something greater than being all powerful for eternity?
How can you be all powerful, the Word, God, if there is someone more powerful than you? Does God have a God?
He will always be my God, no matter how far I progress. Does God progress right now? People always say something is for the glory of God. Does He need us to do that if He cannot add glory upon Himself? Can He grow in glory?

illyena

lovedmb said:
Think of the relationship you have with Your father/dad/male genetic parent of your physical body (no not trying to be smart, just get misunderstood way too often)

When you are a Child He is Taller, Older, smarter, more powerful, more educated, and more experienced than you.
As you get older you gain knowledge, age, height, knowledge, power and experience. When you become an adult both you and your father are adults, but he is still your father, he still has more experience, he still has more knowledge, think of this going on for eternity, if the 2 of you learned a the same rate for eternitiy would you ever know as much as him or have as much experience as him.

As it is with our Heavenly father, we will be come adults(Gods) and he will be an adult (a God) and we will both increase in experience and knowledge ( Glory) but we will never be able to be equal to him, because he is always increasing as are we.

lovedmb

illyena said:
Think of the relationship you have with Your father/dad/male genetic parent of your physical body (no not trying to be smart, just get misunderstood way too often)

When you are a Child He is Taller, Older, smarter, more powerful, more educated, and more experienced than you.
As you get older you gain knowledge, age, height, knowledge, power and experience. When you become an adult both you and your father are adults, but he is still your father, he still has more experience, he still has more knowledge, think of this going on for eternity, if the 2 of you learned a the same rate for eternitiy would you ever know as much as him or have as much experience as him.

As it is with our Heavenly father, we will be come adults(Gods) and he will be an adult (a God) and we will both increase in experience and knowledge ( Glory) but we will never be able to be equal to him, because he is always increasing as are we.
So how is God "God", if he has someone more powerful, more knowledgeable than him hanging around?

illyena

lovedmb said:
So how is God "God", if he has someone more powerful, more knowledgeable than him hanging around?
I take it that your definition of God means, the ONE being that Knows everyting, understands everyting, is all powerful and is better than EVERYBODY else, noone is his match and equal and he alone rules everything.

We hav a diffierent view of what makes God 'God', immortal, omnicient and omnipotent yes, but not intrinsically solitary.

lovedmb

dan said:
He will always be my God, no matter how far I progress. Does God progress right now? People always say something is for the glory of God. Does He need us to do that if He cannot add glory upon Himself? Can He grow in glory?
I cannot wrap my brain around this. If you are always progressing, then you would never be God, or like God, because God has no need to learn, grow, progress. Do you think God progresses right now?
I dont' understand why God demands people to worship him why he feels he needs more glory (which seems silly, since as God he would have all that he needed at any given time), he should not need anything at all from humans. But that is a whole 'nuther thread.

lovedmb

illyena said:
I take it that your definition of God means, the ONE being that Knows everyting, understands everyting, is all powerful and is better than EVERYBODY else, noone is his match and equal and he alone rules everything.

We hav a diffierent view of what makes God 'God', immortal, omnicient and omnipotent yes, but not intrinsically solitary.
So by definition, that makes you polytheistic. You believe in other Gods. (Note please I did not say *worship*)

illyena

lovedmb said:
I cannot wrap my brain around this. If you are always progressing, then you would never be God, or like God, because God has no need to learn, grow, progress. Do you think God progresses right now?
I dont' understand why God demands people to worship him why he feels he needs more glory (which seems silly, since as God he would have all that he needed at any given time), he should not need anything at all from humans. But that is a whole 'nuther thread.
The bottom line to this is family relationships. When you have children you want to see them grow up and be happy and successful. It is the same with God and us, as his Children he wants us to grow up to be like him, he wants us to progress, it is not selfish motivation that says (what can these humans do for me) it is far more altruistic (how can I make my children happy within the confines of the laws) dont have children because we are selfish, we have them because we want to increase(there are alot of different ideas behind that concept)
Gods increase is through us, His Children