• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS Films

FFH

Veteran Member
The Christmas Box and Timepiece double set DVD (Richard Paul Evans)

The-Christmas-Box---Timepiece.jpg

Richard Thomas and James Earl Jones

The Christmas Box and The Timepiece have aired back to back on TBN - Trinity Broadcasting Network more times than I can count so I've seen them a few times. It has a great message, that being...family should be first priority in our lives, over work, friends, etc.

Last time I saw Richard he urged me to read another fictional book he had just written, "The Letter," the final book of the triligy after "The Christmas Box" and "The Timepiece". He said it had a moral theme which would help those struggling in their marriages. I thought to myself I don't need his book, my marriage is fine, It quickly went downhill after I last saw and spoke to him at Jordanelle Lake, in Utah, on an Elder's quorum boating outing. We both moved out of that ward after that. He saw something wrong or amiss in my marriage I didn't quite see or see coming. I should have taken him seriously. He's a great guy, no one better to associate with.

The Salt Lake and the surrounding area library system has it and it should be in all the major DVD rental places.

71S7YZ0CTCL._AA280_.gif

EvansRichardP_1l.jpg

Richard Paul Evans

His advertisements for his books still air constantly during the break between LDS conference sessions, here in Salt Lake. He's always writing new stuff.

Richard Paul Evans - New York Times Bestselling Author

Richard Paul Evans - Angel Statue

Richard Paul Evans - Wiki

Francine

If you had not already noticed this is a thread for LDS-themed movies usually by LDS directors. While MMM is a fascinating subject, it is really not the theme of this thread.

1. The original post only says, "Looking for LDS films." Dogma and The Da Vinci Code are Catholic films, even though many Catholic leaders warn against seeing them.

2. This is literally the last time I will see anything you post, unless you are quoted by another person.

Bishka

Veteran Member
2. This is literally the last time I will see anything you post, unless you are quoted by another person.

Are you really going to take offense that bad? Honestly, it's just an internet forum and I am a random pixel here. Good luck with that though.

FFH

Veteran Member
If Dutcher made a rated "R" film, would you see it?
To me, R means junk, no need to see it. I really have no need for more junk in my life.

R fims usually leave me feeling down more than up. I'ld rather be uplifted than brought down lower than I was before I see any film.

R's never uplift, but only bring one lower than they were before, even if the artistic value of the film is of a higher quality.

Who cares about the artistic value of any film if it brings you down or makes you feel lower than you were before wasting 2 hours watching any R film.

I'ld be surprised if Dutcher did an R film, he knows better. If he did, my guess would be that he was fishing for a few extra bucks is all.

FFH

Veteran Member
If you had not already noticed this is a thread for LDS-themed movies usually by LDS directors. While MMM is a fascinating subject, it is really not the theme of this thread.
Technically not, but It happens to be a film I'ld like to see about our history. It may be good, we don't know yet, I'll rent it and see.

I'm glad she suggested it. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
1. The original post only says, "Looking for LDS films." Dogma and The Da Vinci Code are Catholic films, even though many Catholic leaders warn against seeing them.

Dogma was a great movie by the way. never saw the davinci code, i wanted to though....

Catholic leaders also warned against seeing "The Golden compass" which is funny ebcause by saying those thigns, if you saw the Golden Compass you would see a clear picture of a large establishment abusing power to indimidate and control knowlegde.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
To me, R means junk, no need to see it. I really have no need for more junk in my life.

R fims usually leave me feeling down more than up. I'ld rather be uplifted than brought down lower than I was before I see any film.
So you apparently have seen some R-rated films. May I ask which ones?

R's never uplift, but only bring one lower than they were before, even if the artistic value of the film is of a higher quality.
Oh, I definitely disagree with you on that! "Schindler's List," was one of the most uplifting movies I've ever seen.

Who cares about the artistic value of any film if it brings you down or makes you feel lower than you were before wasting 2 hours watching any R film.
I don't know why anybody would choose to watch a movie that brought them down, but then I guess I've just seen a few R-rated movies you haven't. Besides, I don't see a movie's artistic value and its rating as having anything at all to do with each other.

I'ld be surprised if Dutcher did an R film, he knows better. If he did, my guess would be that he was fishing for a few extra bucks is all.
Well, we'll have to see. It wouldn't surprise me if he did.

nutshell

That's a broad assumption. Junk exists regardless of rating. Also, there are plenty of non-junk R films.

I'd be curious to know what R films you're watching. There's many uplifting R films.

Logical fallacy: extreme statement. R's do, indeed, uplift. Again, the rating and whether the film is uplifting or not are distinct characteristics of the film.

I care about the artistic value and find messages in many films that are great food for thought, whether uplifting or not.

I think the main issue is that we approach movies differently - we go for different reasons.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Did the prophet change it from not watching R movies to not watching bad movies. I also thought the reason was because so many PG-13 and even PG are as bad as some R movies were back in the day.

I've seen a few R movies or parts thereof. Only one a really enjoyed, that was 300. THough there are some parts I would have cut out.

THIS IS SPARTA!!!

FFH

Veteran Member
So you apparently have seen some R-rated films. May I ask which ones?
I seriously cannot remember any, except Braveheart, and of course Schindler's list, who hasn't seen that.

Just watched "The World Trade Center" with Nicholas Cage, which is a true story of two Port Authority police officers who were taken out alive after the towers collapsed. One of them claimed to have seen Christ while stuck in the rubble, which was shown/illustrated in the film. Christ appeared to him as an incentive, I guess, to hang on until he was rescued.

Some others I've seen recently are "Amazing Grace" (Story of WIlber Wilberforce who was instrumental in helping to abolish the slave trade in Europe) The guy who wrote "Amazing Grace" was a slave trader who reformed/converted to Christianity and inspired Wilber to do what he did.

Will be watching "Incovenient Truth" tonight, a documentary on the various causes and affects of global warming, with Al Gore, new release.

That's just to give you an idea of what I like other than LDS.

nutshell

Did the prophet change it from not watching R movies to not watching bad movies. I also thought the reason was because so many PG-13 and even PG are as bad as some R movies were back in the day.

I've seen a few R movies or parts thereof. Only one a really enjoyed, that was 300. THough there are some parts I would have cut out.

THIS IS SPARTA!!!

I understand that the BYU Film department is not the General Authorities, but according to them, the General Authorities position is that we be careful of what we watch regardless of the rating. In other words, it's not about the rating - it's about the content.

For example, Schindler's List may be a great movie that is acceptable for the general LDS audience. It's rated R. However, the latest PG-13 from a Saturday Night Live alum may not be acceptable for the general LDS audience.

FFH

Veteran Member
Nutshell said:
Junk exists regardless of rating
Agreed.
Also, there are plenty of non-junk R films.
Agreed, they come in great packages, meaning they are very will done, no doubt about that, but the message of most R films is definitley not good or just flat out junk entertainment and very mind numbing. I can find the same on U-tube and save the trip to the rental store.

FFH

Veteran Member
Okay, just remembered "Passion of the Christ" was R, of course, again who hasn't seen that, which is a great example of what I'm talking about. I did not come away from that feeling uplifted, as was also the case with Braveheart, even though both should be considered good "inspiring" films. Both were very well done, but I felt nothing after viewing these films. If a film is truly inspiring I'll want to see it more than once at least.

Neither of these films will I ever watch again, they did nothing for me, maybe a little, but not enough to justify spending another two hours of my life on each of these films.

nutshell

but the message of most R films is definitley not good or just flat out junk entertainment and very mind numbing. I can find the same on U-tube and save the trip to the rental store.

Again, I think you're making too broad a statement.

nutshell

Okay, just remembered "Passion of the Christ" was R, of course, again who hasn't seen that, which is a great example of what I'm talking about. I did not come away from that feeling uplifted, as was also the case with Braveheart, even though both should be considered good "inspiring" films. Both were very well done, but I felt nothing after viewing these films. If a film is truly inspiring I'll want to see it more than once at least.

Neither of these films will I ever watch again, they did nothing for me, maybe a little, but not enough to justify spending another two hours of my life on each of these films.

"Passion of the Christ" I have not seen. However, I can tell you that it is NOT meant to be a "good inspiring" film. Rather, it is told in the tradition of Catholicism, that being one of pain and suffering. It was supposed to horrify you - not inspire.