• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS Contradiction of the Bible. Tenable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
You didn't hear? Back in the 90s God changed his mind about black people. It's not their fault.

The Book of Mormon disagrees. And, supposedly, the Book of Mormon is the perfect, incontrovertible word of God (even though it was changed).

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Sorry sir, I was not referring to you. My mistake.
I knew you werent, but you are just insulting another RF contributor. Bad form. you can ridicule his beliefs all you want, but you can't insult him personally. That is disrespectful. Religion and ideas are fair game though.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I'm usually very patient and have been in this thread. But the reference to "god banged her good" is over the top disgusting, offensive, and inappropriate.It shows no class. One can argue his point without being so offensive.
Why does it bother you? Why would God care, for that matter? I don't find it offensive and I believe in God. Not the Virgin birth though,

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I'm sorry but how do you see these as being contradictory?

2 Nephi
22 And now, behold, if Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end.

23 And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin.

24 But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things.

25 Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have jo
y.

Here is the implication that Adam and Eve's transgression was necessary.

This contradicts the Bible:

Genesis:
16 To the woman he said, “I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;with painful labor you will give birth to children.Your desire will be for your husband,and he will rule over you.”

17 To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which
I commanded you, ‘You must not eat from it,’ “Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life.

18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you will eat the plants of the field.

19 By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.”

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Why does it bother you? Why would God care, for that matter? I don't find it offensive and I believe in God. Not the Virgin birth though,

As a christian, do you agree with anything in Mormon doctrine? Do you believe Joseph Smith was a prophet of God? Do you believe their president 'holds the keys to the kingdom'?

How do you view the LDS usage of the term 'christian'?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
As a christian, do you agree with anything in Mormon doctrine? Do you believe Joseph Smith was a prophet of God? Do you believe their president 'holds the keys to the kingdom'?

How do you view the LDS usage of the term 'christian'?
I could not care less about them using the word. I have my beliefs, which, to be honest with you, aren't the much more far-fetched if at all. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I could not care less about them using the word. I have my beliefs, which, to be honest with you, aren't the much more far-fetched if at all. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

But mormon doctrine essentially undermines the sacrifice of jesus. They believe that one is saved through works, which undermines the idea that you are saved through christ's sacrifice.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
But mormon doctrine essentially undermines the sacrifice of jesus. They believe that one is saved through works, which undermines the idea that you are saved through christ's sacrifice.
Who knows. Maybe that idea makes more sense. To tell you the truth, I think it kind of fits more with Jesus' message.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Who knows. Maybe that idea makes more sense. To tell you the truth, I think it kind of fits more with Jesus' message.

What about this?

My belief is that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the restored church of Christ. This means that it is the only church on earth that has God's priesthood, God's prophets, and a "fullness" of the gospel. The President of our church holds the same keys of the kingdom that Jesus gave to Peter. Nobody else on earth holds those keys.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Do you find that the idea of LDS being the 'Restored Church of Christ' undermines Christianity in general?
No, but only because it is not a viable threat. It's like the homeless guy on the corner preaching. You give him change because you feel sorry for him.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
No, but only because it is not a viable threat. It's like the homeless guy on the corner preaching. You give him change because you feel sorry for him.

But if LDS were more widely accepted and less widely ridiculed, the doctrine would undermine Christianity?

Scott C.

Just one guy
Let me try a different approach to answer the question on the virgin birth. Some may ask the following question of a Mormon:

"Do you believe that God the Father engaged in a sacred physical and intimate union with Mary which caused her to conceive his only begotten Son?" The answer is no. She conceived without physical union with any man or with God.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Let me try a different approach to answer the question on the virgin birth. Some may ask the following question of a Mormon:

"Do you believe that God the Father engaged in a sacred physical and intimate union with Mary which caused her to conceive his only begotten Son?" The answer is no. She conceived without physical union with any man or with God.

Better.

Now address the contradictions between 2 Nephi 5:21 and Acts 17:2.

Status
Not open for further replies.