• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDS Contradiction of the Bible. Tenable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Within LDS doctrine, it is said that there are multiple gods. However, in the Bible (Isaiah 45:5) it says, "I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me."

Now if god himself in the Bible says that he is the only god, how is the mormon position of multiple gods tenable? And given that it is contradictory to the word of god, how can it call itself christianity?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
So you are absolutely convinced that Isaiah not only heard God, but accurately recorded exactly what God wanted to say, if not you have no point at all.

Also are you aware that the words in italics in your scripture quote were not in the original Hebrew but were added well over a thousand years later by the translators, who "thought" it would make the meaning clearer.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
So you are absolutely convinced that Isaiah not only heard God, but accurately recorded exactly what God wanted to say, if not you have no point at all.

I'm personally an atheist. But you often hear tales of the incontrovertible word of god, that god's word is the law, and that god's word is the only word, etc, etc, etc. Is it then, really, tenable to contradict the word of god in the bible and label your religion with Christianity? I'm not saying Isaiah was right, or recorded things correctly, I'm simply saying that the claim is one of god's incontrovertibility.

Lyndon

Premium Member
Unless you take the scripture seriously, its really hard to have any meaningful debate, as you don't even believe in what you are debating. Sufficing it to say there are multiple ways to interpret any scripture, and not all, if not most Christians don't believe in the fundamental word for word accuracy of everything in the Bible as being inspired, that's more in the realm of right wing fundamentalists like Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson. Who make about as much sense as Al Qaeda when it comes to scriptural interpretation.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Unless you take the scripture seriously, its really hard to have any meaningful debate,

I'm simply debating it on it's own strength.

as you don't even believe in what you are debating. Sufficing it to say there are multiple ways to interpret any scripture, and not all, if not most Christians don't believe in the fundamental word for word accuracy of everything in the Bible as being inspired, that's more in the realm of right wing fundamentalists like Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson. Who make about as much sense as Al Qaeda when it comes to scriptural interpretation.

It's not just Isaiah, however. There is also 2 Corinthians 11: 3-4 to consider.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Youd have to provide a source from their book saying LDS believe in multiple Gods. When they had visit me, they said there is only one.
Within LDS doctrine, it is said that there are multiple gods. However, in the Bible (Isaiah 45:5) it says, "I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me."

Now if god himself in the Bible says that he is the only god, how is the mormon position of multiple gods tenable? And given that it is contradictory to the word of god, how can it call itself christianity?

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Youd have to provide a source from their book saying LDS believe in multiple Gods. When they had visit me, they said there is only one.

It's in Mormon Doctrine, page 163.

From what I've heard of ex-mormons, that is a common lie they tell because they think the idea of many gods, and becoming gods would be too hard to sell.

Last edited:

Lyndon

Premium Member
I find the idea of an atheist that wants to use fundamentalist Christianity to discredit Mormonism a bit hard to sell!!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

From what I've heard of ex-mormons, that is a common lie they tell because they think the idea of many gods, and becoming gods would be too hard to sell.
I cant find that source online. Too much bias sites. I talking to a mormon on their site:
Mormon.org | What is the Mormon Church and Religion?

They dont believe in the trinity (God te father IS Jesus) More God is a title used for all three which makes it lool like mutiple Gods but they arent.

Here is the convo:

Now chatting with Christian & Miles

M (Mormon)
Hello there!
9:07 AM

C
Hi Carlita

C

The chat asked for a topic:

Myth about multiple Gods?

M
Myth about multiple Gods?...what do you mean?

C
Sorry, havnt used chat in years. I hear LDS believe in multiple Gods. It was said in their book on page 163. Is that true or a myth?
9:09 AM

C
No problem! We are happy to explain

Saying we believe in multiple Gods gives people a wrong impression. We do believe that God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are 3 separate beings. "God" is a title that can be applied to any of them. But we only worship God the Father. Saying we believe in multiple Gods, while true, makes it sound like we worship many different gods (polytheism). That isn't true
9:11 AM

C
Then its more the trinity rather than three separate gods?
9:12 AM

M
Yes, though to make sure that we are clear, we do believe that God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three different beings who work in unison to carry out God the Father's will.
9:13 AM

C
Oh. Thats why. Its not the trinity (The Father Is Jesus. Jesus Is the Holy Spirit) more each are seperate they work as you said in unison (like a marriage)?
9:16 AM

C
Yes! Exactly - for us, it's like how the scriptures say for a husband and wife to be "one flesh." Figuratively, they are completely unified
9:18 AM

C
That makes more sense. The Book of Mormon says the same?
9:21 AM

C
Yes it does- would you like some examples? We could find some verses if that would be helpful

C
Sure!
9:22 AM

M
Give us one moment to pull that up for you. :)
9:23 AM

C
"36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one." 3 Nephi 11:36
9:24 AM

C
Nice!
9:25 AM

M
If you'd like to read more, there is an index of references on the topic here:
9:27 AM
Godhead

Godhead

Last edited:

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I cant find that source online. Too much bias sites. I talking to a mormon on their site:
Mormon.org | What is the Mormon Church and Religion?

They dont believe in the trinity (God te father IS Jesus) More God is a title used for all three which makes it lool like mutiple Gods but they arent.

Here is the convo:

Now chatting with Christian & Miles

M (Mormon)
Hello there!

C
Hi Carlita

C

The chat asked for a topic:

Myth about multiple Gods?

M
Myth about multiple Gods?...what do you mean?

C
Sorry, havnt used chat in years. I hear LDS believe in multiple Gods. It was said in their book on page 163. Is that true or a myth?

C
No problem! We are happy to explain

Saying we believe in multiple Gods gives people a wrong impression. We do believe that God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost are 3 separate beings. "God" is a title that can be applied to any of them. But we only worship God the Father. Saying we believe in multiple Gods, while true, makes it sound like we worship many different gods (polytheism). That isn't true
9:11 AM

C
Then its more the trinity rather than three separate gods?
9:12 AM

M
Yes, though to make sure that we are clear, we do believe that God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three different beings who work in unison to carry out God the Father's will.
9:13 AM

C
Oh. Thats why. Its not the trinity (The Father Is Jesus. Jesus Is the Holy Spirit) more each are seperate they work as you said in unison (like a marriage)?
9:16 AM

C
Yes! Exactly - for us, it's like how the scriptures say for a husband and wife to be "one flesh." Figuratively, they are completely unified
9:18 AM

C
That makes more sense. The Book of Mormon says the same?

C
Yes it does- would you like some examples? We could find some verses if that would be helpful

C
Sure!
9:22 AM

M
Give us one moment to pull that up for you. :)
9:23 AM

C
"36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one." 3 Nephi 11:36
9:24 AM

C
Nice!
9:25 AM

M
If you'd like to read more, there is an index of references on the topic here:
9:27 AM
Godhead

Godhead

Sorry, I got myself mixed up!

It speaks of plural gods in Doctrine and Covenants Section 132:18-20, 37 and in the Book of Abraham Chapters 4 & 5.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Joseph Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good non biased read on Joseph Smith, founder of LDS sect.
Smith established an organized religion that for a time attracted thousands.
Evidently the church owned bank failled which really ticked off many people that lost all their money.
While in jail a mod stormed the building and killed Joe.
Cased closed.
Still it's a pretty good read.
The LDS were responsible for murdering members of a wagon train traveling west.
Nasty.
One church leader responsible for the murders was executed by military firing squad.
The LDS organization has/had ties with the mob and helped finance Las Vegas, all so known as sin city.
LDS members claim to be Christains but I find that very arguable.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I hate to burst your very fragile bubble, but "Mormon Doctrine" is a book outlining one man's interpretations of Mormon doctrine. It is absolutely non-canonical. In other words, "Mormon Doctrine" is not Mormon doctrine. :confused:

Yeah, well ex-Mormons are a super reliable source of information on Mormonism -- you know, kind of like Judas would have been an super reliable source of information on Christianity in general.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Wow, it's truly scary when a "follower of Mycroft" goes after Mormonism like he was a fundamentalist Christian. Okay, here's your answer...

There are numerous places in the Bible where "gods" other than the Abrahamic "God" are mentioned. Here are just a couple:

Deuteronomy 10:17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward…

Joshua 22:22 The LORD God of gods, the LORD God of gods, he knoweth, and Israel he shall know; if it be in rebellion, or if in transgression against the LORD…

You can go ahead and try to tell me that these verses mean something different than what they actually say, and that the "gods" mentioned are actually "false gods." If that were the case, then God would be the "God of false gods." How else would you explain the verses I gave as examples? Mormons worship "one God," just as all Christians do.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Joseph Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good non biased read on Joseph Smith, founder of LDS sect.
Smith established an organized religion that for a time attracted thousands.
Evidently the church owned bank failled which really ticked off many people that lost all their money.
While in jail a mod stormed the building and killed Joe.
Cased closed.
Still it's a pretty good read.
Yup, case closed. A mob of roughly 200 men killed Joseph Smith and not one arrest was ever made. Ya gotta love that selective justice.

The LDS were responsible for murdering members of a wagon train traveling west.
Nasty.
Very nasty. Much like the nasty Haun's Mill Massacre.

The LDS organization has/had ties with the mob and helped finance Las Vegas, all so known as sin city.
:D Oh, that's a good one. Your source?

LDS members claim to be Christains but I find that very arguable.
Based on what you think you know about us, I can understand your skepticism.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Book of Abraham

Chapter 4 verses 3-5

3 And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light; and there was light.

4 And they (the Gods) comprehended the light, for it was bright; and they divided the light, or caused it to be divided, from the darkness.

5 And the Gods called the light Day, and the darkness they called Night. And it came to pass that from the evening until morning they called night; and from the morning until the evening they called day; and this was the first, or the beginning, of that which they called day and night.
source

Status
Not open for further replies.