• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late Antiquity/Early Mediaeval Roleplay Thread

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
"What is your ransom, how much should I pay you to keep Megaris with me?"
"Nothing, old man. This thief cannot be ransomed. Now saddle up, little gnat, we need thieves like you, not pious old pensioners who don't even drink wine."
Kasra's eyes fixated on Megaris; the look of 'I will make you a prince,' etched into them amongst the amber flames.
Um...ok. Better then you murdering me I guess. He says getting on the saddle

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Um...ok. Better then you murdering me I guess. He says getting on the saddle
"Your horse will join us. Farzad has already roped him at the back. I hope you can ride fast, thief!"
Bashar looked up at Kasra,
"No ransom at all? This is not our culture. But at least tell me where you intend taking him."
"Why would I tell you that? Fool!"
"The war has been over for a day, and instead of rebuilding we cause more consternation. You used to be a great class of men; now look at you."
"I have no time for idle chat, we are going!"
"This temple, Megaris," Bashar said, "Keep your eye on this temple, or they wouldn't have come out of the way here looking for it so far. Whatever you need, it's at this house. Don't forget."

VoidCat

"Your horse will join us. Farzad has already roped him at the back. I hope you can ride fast, thief!"
Bashar looked up at Kasra,
"No ransom at all? This is not our culture. But at least tell me where you intend taking him."
"Why would I tell you that? Fool!"
"The war has been over for a day, and instead of rebuilding we cause more consternation. You used to be a great class of men; now look at you."
"I have no time for idle chat, we are going!"
"This temple, Megaris," Bashar said, "Keep your eye on this temple, or they wouldn't have come out of the way here looking for it so far. Whatever you need, it's at this house. Don't forget."
Magaris sighs. I can ride fast he says.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Magaris sighs. I can ride fast he says.
With that, the horses left, blazing away in the morning sun. Dust and ash brushed up, covering the temple in yet more of the same, glittering in a dark cloud.
"We are not going to the city you came from. We are going to Bulathis. Keep your wits about you, and don't get caught stealing next time. there will be no mercy for you." Kasra then turned to one of his followers at the back, "If you see that old man again, kill him."

VoidCat

With that, the horses left, blazing away in the morning sun. Dust and ash brushed up, covering the temple in yet more of the same, glittering in a dark cloud.
"We are not going to the city you came from. We are going to Bulathis. Keep your wits about you, and don't get caught stealing next time. there will be no mercy for you." Kasra then turned to one of his followers at the back, "If you see that old man again, kill him."
So uh what is your name? Mine is Megaris. Megaris says...and exactly who are yall guys? What y'all have plan for me?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
'You're certain it's this way?', the man muttered, disbelief clear in his tone. 'I suspect you're making this up. We've been heading due west for days, and I've got enough water to last until tonight. Last time I listen to you.'

The camel deigned to respond, arrogant creature that it was. Not for the first time, Narses wondered whether a donkey would have made a more agreeable companion. Or a goat. But no, a goat would never be able to...

Narses stopped short as he crested a small dune in an endless sea of them. 'Well Jamal, I take it back. There's the dome of the temple.'

He scratched his chin idly, eyes taking in the temple, and the surrounds, letting his gaze rest in each shadowy pool cast by the morning sun. Horses, perhaps a half dozen, tended by a couple of men. Well, that was unfortunate, but not altogether unexpected. The question now was whether to approach regardless, or wait. He thought about asking the camel, but Jamal was never a creature of action.

In the end, the decision was made for him. More figures emerged from the temple, mounting up, and riding away at great speed. Narses took a moment to empathise with their poor horses, for truly he could feel the heat in the sun beginning to bite. He supposed they weren't riding too far. With a quick final glance around to make sure he was now alone, he gave a gentle tug on Jamal's rope, and the two headed down, soon reaching the front of the temple. Narses looked around the area where the horses had been tied off, and found a suitable post to fasten Jamal to. Although the thought of the beast having enough energy to actually run off was laughable.

'Wait here, Jamal. I'll have a quick look around. If I can't find it, we can find somewhere close to make camp. Whistle if anyone approaches, okay?'

The camel gave no indication he was listening. Typical. Shaking his head, Narses headed towards the temple entrance.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
'You're certain it's this way?', the man muttered, disbelief clear in his tone. 'I suspect you're making this up. We've been heading due west for days, and I've got enough water to last until tonight. Last time I listen to you.'

The camel deigned to respond, arrogant creature that it was. Not for the first time, Narses wondered whether a donkey would have made a more agreeable companion. Or a goat. But no, a goat would never be able to...

Narses stopped short as he crested a small dune in an endless sea of them. 'Well Jamal, I take it back. There's the dome of the temple.'

He scratched his chin idly, eyes taking in the temple, and the surrounds, letting his gaze rest in each shadowy pool cast by the morning sun. Horses, perhaps a half dozen, tended by a couple of men. Well, that was unfortunate, but not altogether unexpected. The question now was whether to approach regardless, or wait. He thought about asking the camel, but Jamal was never a creature of action.

In the end, the decision was made for him. More figures emerged from the temple, mounting up, and riding away at great speed. Narses took a moment to empathise with their poor horses, for truly he could feel the heat in the sun beginning to bite. He supposed they weren't riding too far. With a quick final glance around to make sure he was now alone, he gave a gentle tug on Jamal's rope, and the two headed down, soon reaching the front of the temple. Narses looked around the area where the horses had been tied off, and found a suitable post to fasten Jamal to. Although the thought of the beast having enough energy to actually run off was laughable.

'Wait here, Jamal. I'll have a quick look around. If I can't find it, we can find somewhere close to make camp. Whistle if anyone approaches, okay?'

The camel gave no indication he was listening. Typical. Shaking his head, Narses headed towards the temple entrance.
Bashar watched as he saw the lone figure ride over the dunes - just as one group left another man had begun approaching the temple, showing the aged old man that his hunch about the house was probably right. The full morning sun now beat upon the huge, intact silver dome. But for what? Who was worshipping here now? Yet the place had clearly been well defended - even if the inside were trashed, it could be refurnished. Nothing a couple of days hard labour couldn't fix.

Ibn Sharif had no means of transport - that had also been stolen - and he knew he'd have to rely upon the friendliness of a stranger to help. Now Megaris' horse was also gone his first hope had dissipated. So as the man descended the dune, Bashar once more shielded his eyes to see the newcomer. Oh, what was this? A native? He rode a camel, not a horse, the best animal for the sand, by far, and had, as much as Bashar's old eyes could tell, a look of surprise on his face.

As the stranger approached the temple and tied his camel, the old man gave a,

"Salaam alaikum, I see this place is frequented. How are you, stranger? Where have you come from? I do apologise for lack of provisions, should you need any, we have just been robbed. Twice, in fact. This house seems to do that to people."

The loose ends of his green turban blew about in the slight breeze, which was nothing but welcome, and he turned his gaze once more to the building,

"It has been ransacked, but who is responsible for that we don't know."

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So uh what is your name? Mine is Megaris. Megaris says...and exactly who are yall guys? What y'all have plan for me?
"I'm Kasra. I report directly to the New Shah. You are going to be entering his territory proper soon - but the Temple you saw is certainly ours, too. No-one is safe there - especially not old codgers like your friend. Those holy fools will be the first to go."

The ride was not long but it was hot, stuffy and made temperatures short; sweat was coursing down Kasra's neck as they rose, the horses now slowed to a canter in the desert fire. In time, they had reached a gated, heavily fortified city. Men wearing the same uniforms as the mounted crew were standing by the entrance - not two or four of them, but 12 men unidentifiable behind their cloth masks.

"Let me in you crazy magic bandits!" Kasra laughed loudly. One of the guards, on hearing Kasra's voice, went calmly to action, opening the huge iron gate to a city full of people speaking in an ancient tongue from the west; buildings adorned with huge symbols of an ibis and other, less easily identifiable symbols.

"Welcome to Bulathis. We are the Bulathi people. No holy fools or pious pilgrims here, thief."

VoidCat

"I'm Kasra. I report directly to the New Shah. You are going to be entering his territory proper soon - but the Temple you saw is certainly ours, too. No-one is safe there - especially not old codgers like your friend. Those holy fools will be the first to go."

The ride was not long but it was hot, stuffy and made temperatures short; sweat was coursing down Kasra's neck as they rose, the horses now slowed to a canter in the desert fire. In time, they had reached a gated, heavily fortified city. Men wearing the same uniforms as the mounted crew were standing by the entrance - not two or four of them, but 12 men unidentifiable behind their cloth masks.

"Let me in you crazy magic bandits!" Kasra laughed loudly. One of the guards, on hearing Kasra's voice, went calmly to action, opening the huge iron gate to a city full of people speaking in an ancient tongue from the west; buildings adorned with huge symbols of an ibis and other, less easily identifiable symbols.

"Welcome to Bulathis. We are the Bulathi people. No holy fools or pious pilgrims here, thief."
Ah well it looks nicer then I thought here. So many symbols I wonder what they mean. The New Shah...what would he say to you bringing me here? Said Megaris

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah well it looks nicer then I thought here. So many symbols I wonder what they mean. The New Shah...what would he say to you bringing me here? Said Megaris
"The Shah..." Kasra cut himself off and at last took down his face covering, showing a smile now, "I'm sure you'll find out. We have our own ways here and they're not open for discussion to newcomers like you." Kasra hailed a strange woman on the street and called her over, "Tell them the temple is gaining visitors - we saw an old Ishmaelite man, a priest of some description, and another man approaching by camel from the east. There's little time before they fortify it again, and it had best not be the Ishmaelites and their upstart religion."

The woman nodded and took off walking the way she'd come, disappearing into a throng of people as Kasra and his crew took off at a trot within the city, heading towards a large, beautiful house in the near centre.

Last edited:

VoidCat

"The Shah..." Kasra cut himself off and at last took down his face covering, showing a smile now, "I'm sure you'll find out. We have our own ways here and they're not open for discussion to newcomers like you." Kasra hailed a strange woman on the street and called her over, "Tell them the temple is gaining visitors, we saw an old Ishmaelite man, a priest of some description, and another man approaching by camel over from the east. There's little time before they fortify it again, and it had best not be the Ishmaelites and their upstart religion!"

The woman nodded and took off walking the way she'd come, only disappear into a throng of people as Kasra and his crew took off at a trot within the city, heading towards a large, beautiful house in the near centre.
Megaris watched as the house approach. It's beautiful he said. Megaris wondered in his head if he should plan escape later. He had been paying attention the whole time as they rode. He took note of Kasra's hostility towards Ibn Sharf and other Muslims. Good thing he wasn't one. He was raised Christian but long ago had left that faith. Now he didn't really have any solid beliefs

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Narses was still talking to Jamal as he moved towards the entrance of the temple. But his ears caught a shuffling noise, and his attention was drawn to an older man exiting the building. Once upon a time he would have cursed himself at being surprised so, but this was simply the wages extracted by a period of relative peace in his life, and he couldn't really say he preferred the alternative. He stopped short as the man spoke.

"Salaam alaikum, I see this place is frequented. How are you stranger, where have you come from? I do apologise for lack of provisions, should you need any, we have just been robbed. Twice, in fact. This house seems to do that to people."

"It has been ransacked, but who is responsible for that we don't know."

"Wa alaikum assalaam, friend..."

Narses considered his options. Sun-weathered and dressed in local garb as he was, it was highly doubtful he'd be mistaken for a local once his slightly accented Arabic was aired. So, the truth then. Or at least as much of it as he wanted to give a stranger he'd just met.

"I have a little food and some water. Not as much of the latter as I'd like, but I'm happy to share in exchange for information. And perhaps some directions to where I might find more, assuming there is no well here. I'd heard the temple...had seen better days. It seems those rumours were true. I'm Narses Rhagabe. Well met."

And there it was. Using his real name marked him clearly a Byzantine, but telling the man something he was likely to quickly guess didn't seem much of a gift.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Narses was still talking to Jamal as he moved towards the entrance of the temple. But his ears caught a shuffling noise, and his attention was drawn to an older man exiting the building. Once upon a time he would have cursed himself at being surprised so, but this was simply the wages extracted by a period of relative peace in his life, and he couldn't really say he preferred the alternative. He stopped short as the man spoke.

Narses considered his options. Sun-weathered and dressed in local garb as he was, it was highly doubtful he'd be mistaken for a local once his slightly accented Arabic was aired. So, the truth then. Or at least as much of it as he wanted to give a stranger he'd just met.

"I have a little food and some water. Not as much of the latter as I'd like, but I'm happy to share in exchange for information. And perhaps some directions to where I might find more, assuming there is no well here. I'd heard the temple...had seen better days. It seems those rumours were true. I'm Narses Rhagabe. Well met."

And there it was. Using his real name marked him clearly a Byzantine, but telling the man something he was likely to quickly guess didn't seem much of a gift.
I am about to head to sleep. I will respond tomorrow! :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Megaris watched as the house approach. It's beautiful he said. Megaris wondered in his head if he should plan escape later. He had been paying attention the whole time as they rode. He took note of Kasra's hostility towards Ibn Sharf and other Muslims. Good thing he wasn't one. He was raised Christian but long ago had left that faith. Now he didn't really have any solid beliefs
Kasra was now eyeing up Megaris with a weird gaze for a few moments, then spoke,
"Yes. It is. I'm glad you like the architecture... Funny thing to comment on, in your situation, but I suppose that's what the desert does to you."

"There may be a well..." Bashar mused aloud, "It's possible there's one in the Temple, or they wouldn't want it so badly. Not for drinking all the time, I suspect, but something more religiously inclined. I know the Christians of old had some funny beliefs about the water here, but that sect is long dead as far as I know..."

Ibn Sharif at once heard the foreign tones in the man's speech, but wasn't about to probe further considering the state of the whole land right now. Almost everyone was a foreigner here and belonged to some weird sect or other, having come to escape persecution elsewhere - especially from the Bulathi people, or so he'd heard.

"I know there are cities west and north of here, but the west is eh, how should I say it... by invitation only. I don't know where you came from to come here but your best bet would be to go north, there are some small camps along the way, shepherds and nomads and the like. But please, come in..."

Bashar held his arm aside to bid Narses entrance, a loose decoration falling from the ceiling with a loud smash as he did so.

VoidCat

Megaris thought a little bit as the house came closer. They can teach you powerful things Bashar had said. He always wanted to be powerful. Provided they don't kill him that intrigued him. He thought about asking what Bashar had meant but decided against it. Better to watch and observe. Perhaps the Shah would allow him to be taught such things. Perhaps he might not need to escape. But just in case they tried to kill him he tried to think of an escape plan. Well he had a knife in his boot but he couldn't fight well with it. He'd have to try running and disappearing in the crowd hoping for the best. The horses slowed and stopped at the house. Megaris got up from the horse and looked nervously to Kasra. What now? he asked...Do we go in? Whose house is it anyway? The Shah's?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
"There may be a well..." Bashar mused aloud, "It's possible there's one in the Temple, or they wouldn't want it so badly. Not for drinking all the time, I suspect, but something more religiously inclined. I know the Christians of old had some funny beliefs about the water here, but that sect is long dead as far as I know..."

Narses frowned a little at that. His own relationship to the Church could be a little complicated, but he was no heathen. Still, the man probably meant some local sect of Christians, rather than the Byzantine Church.

Ibn Sharif at once heard the foreign tones in the man's speech, but wasn't about to probe further considering the state of the whole land right now. Almost everyone was a foreigner here and belonged to some weird sect or other, having come to escape persecution elsewhere - especially from the Bulathi people, or so he'd heard.

"I know there are cities west and north of here, but the west is eh, how should I say it... by invitation only. I don't know where you came from to come here but your best bet would be to go north, there are some small camps along the way, shepherds and nomads and the like. But please, come in..."

Narses figured he might as well give the man some of his background. After all, if this was a trap of some sort, he was about to walk into it anyway. Not like he was going to come this far and not enter the temple.

'I hail from Constantinople. But I rarely see her walls these days, for in truth I'm a child of the roads. Still, my family is of there, and I still feel like she is my home, for all that I sleep wherever I lay. It is from the north that I have travelled to here, and no doubt spent some nights in those very same small camps you have mentioned. Their advice was that there was little trade here these days, and that the whole area was under a cloud, but they gave little enough detail on why. Still...I'm not threat to anyone, and hardly wealthy enough to rob. Unless they want my uppity camel, of course, in which case I'd be most obliged to them.'

Bashar held his arm aside to bid Narses entrance, a loose decoration falling from the ceiling with a loud smash as he did so.

It was like a punctuation point, the darker interior echoing slightly with the sound of the breakage. Narses hadn't been a soldier in many a day, but some habits broke hard.

'Friend, I wonder if I might get you to carry these canteens for me, in case there is water inside the temple?'

The fact that this would fill the stranger's hand with something soft, and a poor weapon was no coincidence.

'I need to bring in my gear box. I've got some dried foods in it, perhaps we can find a comfortable place to talk.'

Not to mention a dagger. Because truly, you never could tell when on the road.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I was meaning to reply tonight but I've had a bit to drink so I'll be back asap.

<3