• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Late Antiquity/Early Mediaeval Roleplay Thread

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Rules:

1. For now, 3 main characters per person to stop anything becoming too convoluted. That's not to say you have to have 3, but that this is a maximum.

2. Characters portraying a faith different from your own must be done respectfully and carefully. Religious conflicts and various insults lobbed at other religious folks must be clearly understood as being part of this fiction and not the actual views of the writer, but keeping appreciation for the time period and how people spoke casually, so a Christian calling a Pagan a 'damn idol worshipper' would be alright because it has a context.

3. Characters must have limits in strengths and powers. This is classed as 'very low fantasy' so keeping things as normative as possible with light magic is favoured.

4. Please stick as closely to the era (vaguely 7th century) as possible, but license for gaps in knowledge etc. is allowed, and nitpicks about history should be kept to a minimum unless it's a glaring error.

5. Be creative; set the scene, take your time. Have fun :)

Anyone can join.

START.

The only thing remotely standing, burned and broken as it had been, was an old temple - after all the fighting, no-one knew to which group exactly it belonged. It was domed and colourful but empty, while a stench yet emanated from within. Smoke, wet earth and other, unidentifiable smells hovered around the building as the sun began to rise upon it, the silver dome reflecting rays necessitating hand to brow raising. Whoever had sacked this temple and whoever owned it were long gone - temporarily or permanently - and it now dominated the destruction like a last sign of hope. As yet, the land about it was deserted, the waking still being at prayer, now surrounded with ash and debris.

Bashar Ibn Sharif looked up. No shots had been fired today from any direction. The holy house had been ransacked, the belligerents chased away, and now the swords and stones had fallen silent. Unafraid, Bashar led himself into the ruin through an empty doorhole, expecting only more vacancy. Instead, he saw someone at the far end by a stone table. Raising his head and narrowing his brows in confusion, he stared at the figure, saying only,

"What now?"

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
The Rules:

1. For now, 3 main characters per person to stop anything becoming too convoluted. That's not to say you have to have 3, but that this is a maximum.

2. Characters portraying a faith different from your own must be done respectfully and carefully. Religious conflicts and various insults lobbed at other religious folks must be clearly understood as being part of this fiction and not the actual views of the writer, but keeping appreciation for the time period and how people spoke casually, so a Christian calling a Pagan a 'damn idol worshipper' would be alright because it has a context.

3. Characters must have limits in strengths and powers. This is classed as 'very low fantasy' so keeping things as normative as possible with light magic is favoured.

4. Please stick as closely to the era (vaguely 7th century) as possible, but license for gaps in knowledge etc. is allowed, and nitpicks about history should be kept to a minimum unless it's a glaring error.

5. Be creative; set the scene, take your time. Have fun :)

START.

The only thing remotely standing, burned and broken as it had been, was an old temple - after all the fighting, no-one knew to which group exactly it belonged. It was domed and colourful but empty, while a stench yet emanated from within. Smoke, wet earth and other, unidentifiable smells hovered around the building as the sun began to rise upon it, the silver dome reflecting rays necessitating hand to brow raising. Whoever had sacked this temple and whoever owned it were long gone - temporarily or permanently - and it now dominated the destruction like a last sign of hope. As yet, the land about it was deserted, the waking still being at prayer, now surrounded with ash and debris.

Bashar Ibn Sharif looked up. No shots had been fired today from any direction. The holy house has been ransacked, the belligerents chased away, and now the swords and stones had fallen silent. Unafraid, Bashar led himself into the ruin through an empty doorhole, expecting only more vacancy. Instead, he saw someone at the far end by a stone table. Raising his head and narrowing his brows in confusion, he stared at the figure, saying only,

"What now?"
Jamie Helmsfield didn't take his eyes off of floor which he lazily danced his sword upon. "Now?" he asked. "We will never make it to civilization before the night's dawn. All we can do is wait for the sun to set and the beasts of the night to take us..."

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Jamie Helmsfield didn't take his eyes off of floor which he lazily danced his sword upon. "Now?" he asked. "We will never make it to civilization before the night's dawn. All we can do is wait for the sun to set and the beasts of the night to take us..."
Ibn Sharif further narrowed his eyes, drawing the loose fabric hanging from his turban over his face as if to disguise himself. Those same eyes darted around the rest of the building, noting only broken windows, remnants of home-made weaponry, burn stains and a set of stone steps leading in a spiral from behind the table.
"Those beasts are also dead..." Bashar's voice showed clear suspicion, "And so are whoever owned this house..."
In the same suspicious tone.

Just then, behind himself, he heard a soft exhale and turned to look over his shoulder at Megaris,
"By Allah, this house still calls to people, even in such a ruined state..." and made eye contact with the person.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Ibn Sharif further narrowed his eyes, drawing the loose fabric hanging from his turban over his face as if to disguise himself. Those same eyes darted around the rest of the building, noting only broken windows, remnants of home-made weaponry, burn stains and a set of stone steps leading in a spiral from behind the table.
"Those beasts are also dead..." Bashar's voice showed clear suspicion, "And so are whoever owned this house..."
In the same suspicious tone.

Just then, behind himself, he heard a soft exhale and turned to look over his shoulder at Megaris,
"By Allah, this house still calls to people, even in such a ruined state..." and made eye contact with the person.
Megaris sighed.

VoidCat

Look I don't want any trouble cried Megaris. He stepped forward. I just am tired from wandering but it seems this place is in ruin.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Look I don't want any trouble cried Megaris. He stepped forward. I just am tired from wandering but it seems this place is in ruin.
"Be assured," Bashar had a quiet, gravelly voice, "I am the last person to give you any trouble here, stranger; after what we've been through, we have no energy left for trouble. My name is Bashar ibn Sharif."

VoidCat

"Be assured," Bashar had a quiet, gravelly voice, "I am the last person to give you any trouble here, stranger; after what we've been through, we have no energy left for trouble. My name is Bashar ibn Sharif."
My name is Megaris. I'm not from around here. What happened?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
My name is Megaris. I'm not from around here. What happened?
"A civil war turned into chaos as foreign invaders took advantage of our weakness, every city was besieged. People speaking unknown languages, with unknown faiths, they all came and robbed, raped and pillaged. It's been nearly a century since then, and now here we are, finally at an end. Our country is broken up. Every other man thinks he's the rightful Caliph."

Bashar looked around, opening his arms wide,

"This is what we fought for."

VoidCat

Megaris sighed. Well. He said. This is not good. He pulls out a canteen of water and drinks. I have some food if y'all need it. He pulls a bag off his shoulder. Outside of this temple I have a horse somewhere. Since y'all won't be able to make it back to the city by sundown perhaps it's a good idea to make camp here?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Megaris sighed. Well. He said. This is not good. He pulls out a canteen of water and drinks. I have some food if y'all need it. He pulls a bag off his shoulder. Outside of this temple I have a horse somewhere. Since y'all won't be able to make it back to the city by sundown perhaps it's a good idea to make camp here?
"The sun is not yet finished rising and we are wondering about dusk? My friend, more can happen here in 12 hours than happens in most lands in 12 years. The city is not somewhere I ought to find myself, I find, right now. A camp sounds ideal."

He uncovered his face, revealing his long greying beard and large nose.

"Is your food halal? If not, I'm afraid I must refuse."

Just then, something caught Ibn Sharf's eye and he glanced upwards east of the domed house.

VoidCat

Megaris looks frantic. What do you see? He asks shifting nervously looking off to the area Ibn Sharf was looking towards

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Megaris looks frantic. What do you see?
"It looks like this holy house may be popular for reasons beyond God..." Bashar walked a little closer to the figures now approaching on horses, armed, covered, all dressed the same. "There must be something..." he trailed off and looked back at the building, "Or someone here they want."

He looked at Megaris,

"It's too late to run, they have horses, and I am an older man. Perhaps they will be inclined to diplomacy..." but his tone did not suggest anything of the sort, and soon the mounted men were upon the two.

"Now, now, here's a fight waiting to happen!" the one at the head laughed. "Look at these two soldiers!" He made eye contact with both Bashar and Megaris, lingering on the latter, "So, give us your wares or your head; the choice is yours. Hurry, mind, I'm hungry."

VoidCat

"It looks like this holy house may be popular for reasons beyond God..." Bashar walked a little closer to the figures now approaching on horses, armed, covered, all dressed the same. "There must be something..." he trailed off and looked back at the building, "Or someone here they want."

He looked at Megaris,

"It's too late to run, they have horses, and I am an older man. Perhaps they will be inclined to diplomacy..." but his tone did not suggest anything of the sort, and soon the mounted men were upon the two.

"Now, now, here's a fight waiting to happen!" the one at the head laughed, "Look at these two soldiers!" He made eye contact with both Bashar and Megaris, lingering on the latter, "So, give us your wares or your head; the choice is yours. Hurry, mind, I'm hungry."
Megaris hands over the food and a canteen wordlessly. He looks at Basher worriedly.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Megaris hands over the food and a canteen wordlessly. He looks at Basher worriedly.
Bashar caught Megaris' glance and watched as the wares were handed over, silent as a stone while the man bagged the food and drink.
"You are the followers of the Hermetica, are you not? I can see by your clothing and your jewellery. Do you know who last owned this place?"
"I do not. Do you realise you are being robbed, old man?"
"By God, I do, but then you realise you are a robber?"
"This land is ours! We are only taking things back that you have stolen. Is that not true?" Kasra, the bandit, looked intently at Megaris, "I saw you, you little gnat, taking these things. Did you not steal them from the midnight bazaar?"

VoidCat

Bashar caught Megaris' glance and watched as the wares were handed over, silent as a stone while the man bagged the food and drink.
"You are the followers of the Hermetica, are you not? I can see by your clothing and your jewellery. Do you know who last owned this place?"
"I do not. Do you realise you are being robbed, old man?"
"By God, I do, but then you realise you are a robber?"
"This land is ours! We are only taking things back that you have stolen. Is that not true?" Kasra, the bandit, looked intently at Megaris, "I saw you, you little gnat, taking these things. Did you not steal them from the midnight bazaar?"
I umm...Megaris chokes on his words... Look I didn't steal them. I paid with the marketer previously! A day before I took them.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I umm...Megaris chokes on his words... Look I didn't steal them. I paid with the marketer previously! A day before I took them.
"That's funny, you're funny. Get on my horse. This old man cannot save you, and you are in the desert with only some worn shoes and an old ruin. Get on my horse, funny one."
Bashar looked at the scene before him; a small troop of bandits wasn't worth fighting, nor did he have the strength in his older age to try.
"Megaris, these are a warrior people. They can teach you great things. Dark, terrible things, but powerful. I would not recommend the kind of rituals they do. They are an old people who follow an old God these lands have never known. But.... it is up to you. I can surely pay for your ransom."

VoidCat

"That's funny, you're funny. Get on my horse. This old man cannot save you, and you are in the desert with only some worn shoes and an old ruin. Get on my horse, funny one."
Bashar looked at the scene before him; a small troop of bandits wasn't worth fighting, nor did he have the strength in his older age to try.
"Megaris, these are a warrior people. They can teach you great things. Dark, terrible things, but powerful. I would not recommend the kind of rituals they do. They are an old people who follow an old God these lands have never known. But.... it is up to you. I can surely pay for your ransom."
I don't think they gonna teach me. Help! Megaris whispered...i guess that guy I paid must not have been the marketer

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think they gonna teach me. Help! Megaris whispered
"What is your ransom, how much should I pay you to keep Megaris with me?"
"Nothing, old man. This thief cannot be ransomed. Now saddle up, little gnat, we need thieves like you, not pious old pensioners who don't even drink wine."
Kasra's eyes fixated on Megaris; the look of 'I will make you a prince,' etched into them amongst the amber flames.