• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Language resources

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
You know, I took four years of French and it's just been rotting in the back of my skull. I shouldn't let that go to waste. Anyone know of good free resources to practice language skills?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You know, I took four years of French and it's just been rotting in the back of my skull. I shouldn't let that go to waste. Anyone know of good free resources to practice language skills?

Visit the country.
Listen to french speakers.
Find a french news channel on the internet (france24 is good) and compare with American news.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Quebec?:D
Martinique? (I recommend the Ti Punch)

But your issue will be that you can't easily speak - I presume. So what do you want to do? Is it mostly to understand French spoken to you, or to read French?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Quebec?:D
Martinique? (I recommend the Ti Punch)

But your issue will be that you can't easily speak - I presume. So what do you want to do? Is it mostly to understand French spoken to you, or to read French?

Right, I just want to be able to more fluently read and type it. I won't be able to speak it. Hearing it and understanding would also be good.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Checked out the free language apps?
I could suggest one or two, but can't think of one off the top that would be aphonia friendly.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I could suggest one or two, but can't think of one off the top that would be aphonia friendly.

Do they require talking to them? That wouldn't work if so (I mean, as you note). But typing to an app would be great. Especially if it pronounces for me. I may not be able to speak it but it'll still be important when I'm listening to it.

Still, otherwise being able to read more reliably would be great.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Looks like Duolingo might let me listen and type what I hear, but I don't know if it's mandatory to ever talk back to it

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I guess conjugations can be really harsh.

Not to mention gender nouns.
I know the gender of a noun because I think of the noun gender in Italian...but how do English speakers guess? Omg...

A trip to some French speaking country like Québec can be very useful, if you ask me.

Pronunciation is not difficult at all because there are stable rules (and few exceptions), so that is not a problem, in my opinion.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I guess conjugations can be really harsh.

I know the gender of a noun because I think of the noun gender in Italian...but how do English speakers guess? Omg...

A trip to some French speaking country like Québec can be very useful, if you ask me.

Pronunciation is not difficult at all because there are stable rules (and few exceptions), so that is not a problem, in my opinion.

I took four years total, two in high school and continued for two years when I started college (testing into the higher classes). But that's been a long time. I can still look at French and understand most of it by piecing it together and figuring out the words I don't know from the context, but yes, in terms of things like conjugations and genders, I have forgotten a lot. I'm hoping that the knowledge hasn't atrophied completely and just starting to keep up on practicing will help.

I'd like to be able to read French scientific papers and French poetry basically (pretty much because I already have a "head start" from my earlier life choices of taking the classes).

I'll never have to pronounce it (I have a disability; I can't speak), but being able to hear it pronounced would still be helpful if I intend to pronounce it right in my head as I read it (and understand any potential speakers).

exchemist

Veteran Member
Right, I just want to be able to more fluently read and type it. I won't be able to speak it. Hearing it and understanding would also be good.
Well you could try reading a bit in French, with a dictionary to hand in case you get stuck. But I imagine you will have enough reading to do with your studies, so this may not appeal very much. The crucial thing will be to find a topic of interest to you, so you are motivated to find out what it says.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Well you could try reading a bit in French, with a dictionary to hand in case you get stuck. But I imagine you will have enough reading to do with your studies, so this may not appeal very much. The crucial thing will be to find a topic of interest to you, so you are motivated to find out what it says.

Some of these apps look like they come in 5 minute chunks. Thinking that's my best bet if I can find one that doesn't want me to talk to it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I took four years total, two in high school and continued for two years when I started college (testing into the higher classes). But that's been a long time. I can still look at French and understand most of it by piecing it together and figuring out the words I don't know from the context, but yes, in terms of things like conjugations and genders, I have forgotten a lot. I'm hoping that the knowledge hasn't atrophied completely and just starting to keep up on practicing will help.

I'd like to be able to read French scientific papers and French poetry basically (pretty much because I already have a "head start" from my earlier life choices of taking the classes).

I'll never have to pronounce it (I have a disability; I can't speak), but being able to hear it pronounced would still be helpful if I intend to pronounce it right in my head as I read it (and understand any potential speakers).

Oh, I understand.
I think this channel can be useful to memorize useful words and phrases.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

You know, that gives me a thought too. I could start seeing if I can find relevant French papers for my weekly reading. I try to add 3 papers a week to Zotero. I could start trying to add and digest at least one French one (on top of the English 3).

exchemist

Veteran Member
You know, that gives me a thought too. I could start seeing if I can find relevant French papers for my weekly reading. I try to add 3 papers a week to Zotero. I could start trying to add and digest at least one French one (on top of the English 3).
That sounds like a good idea. I expect there will be a learning curve for the technical terms in French but once you have got those it may be quite easy to follow.

I found, when I visited a French marine diesel engine builder at St. Nazaire to discuss lubrication, that I was able to follow the conversation more easily than when I have to follow social chit-chat at family gatherings. It was less idiomatic and the subject did not keep changing all the time! And we were poring over diagrams, which also helped.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I was told early on that most gender le/la can be sorted by thinking sex. If it can be penetrated or has an accessible inside its female, if it can penetrate its male.

Examples

La maison, female, you can go inside

le crayon (pencil) et la trousse (pencil case)

Who says romance languages aren't sex based?

Edited to remove exception

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I was told early on that most gender le/la can be sorted by thinking sex. If it can be penetrated or has an accessible inside its female, if it can penetrate its male.

Examples

Table and chair. Table is female, because the chair can penetrate the space underneath. Chaise penetrates that space.

La maison, female, you can go inside

le crayon (pencil) et la trousse (pencil case)

Who says romance languages aren't sex based?

Omg...:p