• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Land of the Free

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I personally couldn't give a rats tail about the "bennifits package" (except the religous rights I don't have currently) I just want to be able to be counted for what I am.

wa:do

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
painted wolf said:
hmm... Nunavut seems like a step in the right direction... if everyone helps to keep it on its feet untill it can run on its own.
99% of the US congress would suffer anurisms if you suggested such a thing here. ;)

For an idea how most people view US Native civil rights just check out the "Indian Mascots" thread... :banghead3

You disunderstood me PM . I said the courts are often in support the First Nations here now . { often , not always } . Not so much the other people ... well , that depends upon the people , as I'm sure it does in the U.S. . :) We also have " cards " here . However , a recent excample of the courts backing Fisit Nation's Rights was a Provincal Supreme Court ruling that Metis have the Right to hunt outside the Provincal laws , just like a " full Status Indian ". Which personally I think is good , and bad . It is great as far as Rights go , but bad in that it is much easier to get a Metis card . { as they give them out , not the government , and as a Metis already is of " mixed blood " ... well , there are quite a few of them and my concern is for the game }.

Nunavut is a special case . The NWT was a territory to begin with , and there are few " outside " people up there { other then Druidus and } . The same thing would never likely happen with the Salish People who have land IN Greater Vancouver . { Actually there are a half dozen or so Reserves within Greater Vancouver } . And Nunavut remains a " territory " { which means it doesn't have the powers of a Province } .

ES , I have seen some of your dream catchers on your web site . They are cool . As you say , very unique . :)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
true there is a difference between the people and the court...

what is the difference between a provence and a territory?

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Ok , I figured that I had better look it up to make sure . :)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/fact_06e.html

" The territories are not sovereign units. Their powers are delegated by Parliament, so they are subordinate bodies. The territories also have elected assemblies that follow many of the same practices as the provincial and federal governments. They hold many of the same responsibilities as provincial governments in areas such as health, transportation, social assistance and the environment. "

Perhaps I should point out that Parliament is Federal . There is also a thing called " the Not Withstanding Clause " which kinda gives any Province the Right of Veto { within the Province }. For excample , Quebec has used it to over-ride Federal Language Laws . That Clause does not apply to a Territory .

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
ahh.. thanks for that. So its like the US territories then... no real voting rights?

anyway, just goes to show that the road isn't over... we have a lot of walking left to do. :cool: