• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lack Of Education Leads To Lost Dreams And Low Income For Many Jehovah's Witnesses

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Educated people form "correct beliefs"? Really? So then we should observe unity among the world's academia in how to solve the economical and social problems facing people today.
Then by that standard, the Bible is probably the furthest thing from a "correct belief" as there is no unity among the world's Christians in how to interpret their own book.
Hardly....if anything, it ultimately destroys humility and creates more arrogance and disunity
You say this, yet arrogant professors tend to not be very popular.
evident by examining these issues on the political world stage
Only a very slim portion of academia actually have any sway in such issues.
(I didn't know colleges offered a Major in Ethics; maybe in Social Psychology? Uh....nope.)
Not sure about specifically a major in ethics, but that is generally covered under philosophy.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the difference between Jehovah Witnesses and other, traditional religions is that they’ll work to immediately isolate this individual from families and friends…unless that friend or family member is willing to come along for the ride. They will give smiles and attentions to everything this person says, and shower him with praise for his thoughtful questions and responses. They will work diligently to replace his friends with members of the congregation, and they will implant doubts about the spirituality or motives of anyone who complains or disagrees with their teachings
I got this as well. I attended as a teenager by myself, and they sort of made me a mascot, talking about how brave and strong I was to be a JW with a nonbeliever family. Many assumed I had 'oppositional' family even though my mom was the one who introduced me and was very supportive. But so long as my mom wasn't interested in joining, she was the outsider I was being long-suffering with until I could leave the house.

Thanda

But I also have JWs that I stopped associating with because they let their non-JW daughter think that her brother went missing, when really he just wanted to separate from his wife against policy and took off for a while to think on things. They figured letting their daughter think he was missing was better than letting her be in a position to 'tempt him during this fragile time.'

They thought their daughter was going to sleep with her own brother?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Educated people form "correct beliefs"? Really? So then we should observe unity among the world's academia in how to solve the economical and social problems facing people today. Is this what we see? Hardly....if anything, it ultimately destroys humility and creates more arrogance and disunity, evident by examining these issues on the political world stage, led by educated men; everyone thinks their way is best!

And a 'well-honed heart'? Jeremiah 17:9 doesn't agree, not thru higher education, anyway. (I didn't know colleges offered a Major in Ethics; maybe in Social Psychology? Uh....nope.)
I disagree with Jeremiah, obviously.
You would be surprised about how much unity there actually is among economic theories about the steps needed to solve economic and social problems. The problem has always been that there are people in power whose self interests are against implementing any of that as actual policy. Also how many study do I need to show that clearly shows that the more educated a country's population is, the better its socio-political-economic and ethical conditions are. In fact your criticism is entirely the wrong-headed. It is precisely because education brings with it so much opportunity for growth and power, that in a system where only a few people have it to a high degree, it is possible for such people to "capture" and keep for themselves the highest rungs of socio-economic-wealth-happiness ladder. Thus one advocates for universal and easy access to good quality higher education for all, so that the full capabilities of everyone can be expressed.

But there is absolute certainty that those problems are never going to be solved by most of what the Bible recommends.

There are of course graduate studies and vigorous graduate research programs in theoretical and applied ethics. But one could simply take a basic education in ethical thinking by attending an introductory course at least.

But ethical education has always been the central goal of ancient philosophy, and it has been emasculated by church and then the state as neither institution has ever wanted people who can question their authority or their holy books with their own well-developed understandings of right and wrong. Critical Education (intellectual and moral) makes one autonomous thinking beings, a power onto oneself, and authority, masquerading as God or the Flag has little interest in allowing such things.

Regarding the Bible, I consider that Eve did the right thing in thinking for herself and eating the fruit from the tree, based on the observable qualities of the tree and the fruit and thus exposing both the god and the snake and tyrannical and deceptive beings respectively and not worthy of either being followed or listened to.That was what the knowledge the Tree provided. That both god and the snake were evil beings and need to be discarded. The rest becomes irrelevant after that analysis, does it not?

Oeste

I got this as well. I attended as a teenager by myself, and they sort of made me a mascot, talking about how brave and strong I was to be a JW with a nonbeliever family. Many assumed I had 'oppositional' family even though my mom was the one who introduced me and was very supportive. But so long as my mom wasn't interested in joining, she was the outsider I was being long-suffering with until I could leave the house.

Yes! I got the same smile and "fine example" routine, but I attended with my cousin. Neither my mom, dad, aunt or uncle opposed our attendance because all they saw were two teenage kids attending church and having bible studies. They were totally unaware of the Organization's suggestion that Satan was likely influencing them to stop us from having a study, attending meetings or doing field service, or that at some point I would likely have to make a choice between the Organization (oft times confused with "Jehovah") and my friends and family.

Regarding higher education, you may remember these little gems (the "truth") from back in the day.

upload_2017-2-26_21-9-43.png

Unfortunately, my cousin became a member. The only reason he or my old friends can talk with me now is because I never did.