• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L Sound

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you find to be a problem with that pronunciation?
I just dislike the sound and I've noticed people using it more and more; it's not something I grew up hearing. It only happens in certain words, he can clearly say the l sound as normal in other words, and as a linguist I wonder about it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I just dislike the sound and I've noticed people using it more and more; it's not something I grew up hearing. It only happens in certain words, he can clearly say the l sound as normal in other words, and as a linguist I wonder about it.

I'm interested to hear an example of how you usually hear it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Most people sound like cartoon characters to me these days.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It's called a 'dark L'. I pronounce some words this way ... "absolutely", "excellent", "likely", rarely for example. But not in milk or Louis, or when the L is in some other places. It's pronounced at the back of the mouth, almost like a guttural stop.
I thought this at first but it's not; it seems deeper than that; afaik all English speakers make this dark and light l distinction. it sounds different to me.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
this pronunciation grates on me and I keep hearing it in so many speakers now. Why is this?
I can't hear the difference... which means... I'm one of them. :eek: I'm part of the problem. :(:confused::D

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not as far back in the mouth.

Hear how Michael says it at around 0:26 Beware of Globalism: World Economic Forum Will Have Record Participation Next Week - YouTube
I finally worked it out. It seemed weird at first, because global with the L I grew up learning the tongue is near the teeth. Or I might have thought that. I haven't really noticed, but working it out it sounds kind of like the "laid back" non-Valley Girl California accent (I'm close to it but enunciate things a bit more) (laid back being the words of a native born and raised Californian).