• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Korean pop group facing backlash in China over comments on Korean War

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
BTS Faces Backlash in China Over Korean War Comments

K-pop supergroup BTS has risen to become one of the world’s most popular musical acts, but just three days before its company Big Hit Entertainment’s big IPO, it was hit with an unexpected stumbling block in the Chinese market: a single sentence about world history that has sent brands fleeing.

In a speech to accept a prize earlier this week from the Korea Society, a New York-headquartered non-profit that seeks to build mutual understanding between the U.S. and South Korea, band member RM said: “We will always remember the history of pain that our two nations shared together, and the sacrifices of countless men and women.”

He added that it was especially meaningful to accept the General James A. Van Fleet Award, which is awarded for those who have made “outstanding contributions” to promoting U.S.-Korea relations this year, the 70th anniversary of the Korean War.

Apparently, these comments were considered offensive in China, which has declared a boycott against the Korean musical group.

Although he made no mention at all of China, Chinese internet users and state-run media were quick to slam the comment for not acknowledging the sacrifices of Chinese soldiers who fought with North Korea against the U.S. and the South.

I'm not really sure what the basis of complaint is here. The Chinese and the North Koreans were the enemy in that war.

Hashtags claiming that “BTS humiliated China” were trending in China Monday, with one user writing, “If you want to make money in China you should consider the feelings of Chinese fans.” The tabloid-esque Global Times trumpeted that “the band’s totally one-sided attitude to the Korean War hurst the feelings [of Chinese netizens] and negates history.”

I thought the Chinese were trying to dissociate themselves from the excesses of Maoism, but I guess not. Besides, the Chinese chose to enter that war when they had no reason to. They ostensibly entered the war because they erroneously believed the U.S. was planning to attack China. That did not happen, and Truman made a very emphatic point about not wanting to attack China when he fired MacArthur. So, China's pretext for entering the war was completely bogus all along.

So what, exactly, are they complaining about now? If the Chinese had stayed out of the war, then Korea would be under a unified government today. The only reason North Korea exists at all is solely because of China. Whether the Chinese are actually aware of this is another matter, although I think it's disingenuous for them to say that the band was "negating history."

Even China’s foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian chimed in on the matter Monday. Asked whether the ministry felt that RM’s comment was a “matter of national dignity,” he said: “We all should learn lessons from history and look forward to the future, hold dear peace and strengthen friendship.”

Whose history are they referring to? Were they not aware that the agreement to divide up Korea was made by the Allies at Yalta in 1944? The Chinese weren't present at Yalta and had nothing to do with the deliberations or agreements reached at that conference. At the time, we believed we needed the Soviets to declare war on Japan in order to achieve final victory. Korea was an unfortunate victim of circumstance, but regardless, it came about that way due to joint agreement between the capitalists and the communists.

It then becomes a question of which side actually started the Korean War. But regardless, the Chinese involvement and intervention on the side of the North would indicate that they were doing Stalin's dirty work. They were ostensibly acting as a puppet for a foreign government, and this is something that brings them "national pride"? Maybe they need to rethink their position and redefine the parameters of what constitutes Chinese "nationalism." The only Chinese Nationalists there were at the time were on Taiwan - and Taiwan was on the U.S. side at that time. That's why it was called Nationalist China.

PureX

Veteran Member
Apparently, these comments were considered offensive in China, which has declared a boycott against the Korean musical group.
These things are rarely about what the politicians say they are about. My guess is that it has more to do with internal Chinese politics than any actual perceived offense.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'm not really sure what the basis of complaint is here. The Chinese and the North Koreans were the enemy in that war.

I thought the Chinese were trying to dissociate themselves from the excesses of Maoism, but I guess not. Besides, the Chinese chose to enter that war when they had no reason to. They ostensibly entered the war because they erroneously believed the U.S. was planning to attack China. That did not happen, and Truman made a very emphatic point about not wanting to attack China when he fired MacArthur. So, China's pretext for entering the war was completely bogus all along.

So what, exactly, are they complaining about now? If the Chinese had stayed out of the war, then Korea would be under a unified government today. The only reason North Korea exists at all is solely because of China. Whether the Chinese are actually aware of this is another matter, although I think it's disingenuous for them to say that the band was "negating history."

Whose history are they referring to? Were they not aware that the agreement to divide up Korea was made by the Allies at Yalta in 1944? The Chinese weren't present at Yalta and had nothing to do with the deliberations or agreements reached at that conference. At the time, we believed we needed the Soviets to declare war on Japan in order to achieve final victory. Korea was an unfortunate victim of circumstance, but regardless, it came about that way due to joint agreement between the capitalists and the communists.

It then becomes a question of which side actually started the Korean War. But regardless, the Chinese involvement and intervention on the side of the North would indicate that they were doing Stalin's dirty work. They were ostensibly acting as a puppet for a foreign government, and this is something that brings them "national pride"? Maybe they need to rethink their position and redefine the parameters of what constitutes Chinese "nationalism." The only Chinese Nationalists there were at the time were on Taiwan - and Taiwan was on the U.S. side at that time. That's why it was called Nationalist China.

Probably affects their citizens score.

MNoBody

worthy opinions of any useful merit are not possible to form if all sides of any story are not made clear, the prudent will refrain from "going off, half-cocked"....I'm sure there is some witty meme that would express that idea well.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
I'm uhhhh strongly tempted to post this South Park episode.

South Park - Season 23, Ep. 2 - Band in China - Full Episode | South Park Studios US

Yup, temptation won over. This is what happens when you do business with China. They tend to get offended easily.

So what, exactly, are they complaining about now?

From your own quotes, they are literally complaining not about anything the Korean group did say, but about what they didn't say. They didn't mention how their enemies in a war did a great job! Uhhh yeah, that's because they are Koreans and couldn't say that and expect to return to their country?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Who cares what China thinks. They banned Bjork from performing for her comments in support of Tibetan independence, too, and there's plenty of other examples. Who cares.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
RM has quite a reputation sticking up for what he believes in, and for being true to himself. It's likely he won't sell out to China very easily. I do not expect much in the way of apologies from him, unless considerable pressure is brought to bear on him by, say, his company, fans, etc.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I wonder if the Chinese government actually has to power to enforce the boycott on its citizens. Or is it like Trump calling for a boycott on Goodyear?