• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Killings in the Bible

greenfields100

What are people's thoughts on the massive amount of violence depicted in the Bible?
When I used to be a Christian, I was unaware of many of the nastier things depicted in the Bible due to the fact that I would read (for the most part) "popular" passages and remain ignorant of the rest. When I finally did research, I was shocked at the seemingly random killings and genocides depicted. Here is an example of some:
http://see_the_truth.webs.com/YHVH_Murderer.htm
Why are so many Christians either ignorant or apathetic about such violence? And why is discussing the violent parts of the Bible discouraged by Christian leaders, if Christianity is true?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What are people's thoughts on the massive amount of violence depicted in the Bible?
When I used to be a Christian, I was unaware of many of the nastier things depicted in the Bible due to the fact that I would read (for the most part) "popular" passages and remain ignorant of the rest. When I finally did research, I was shocked at the seemingly random killings and genocides depicted. Here is an example of some:
Jehova: "A Murderer and a Liar from the Beginning"
Why are so many Christians either ignorant or apathetic about such violence? And why is discussing the violent parts of the Bible discouraged by Christian leaders, if Christianity is true?
I think it gives it more credence and validity. If it nothing but a fabricated story, they would have painted a beautiful picture.

What I find condescending is calling Christians ignorant, apathetic and making a made up story that it is discouraged by Christian leaders.

greenfields100

I see your point, but my problem is not that violence is depicted in the Bible, but that it is depicted as divinely committed or divinely sanctioned. Some Christians argue that "god only kills out of necessity", but a truly all-powerful being would not need to kill to bring about positive change any more than an all-powerful surgeon would need to cut people open to heal them.

Kenny

Premium Member
I see your point, but my problem is not that violence is depicted in the Bible, but that it is depicted as divinely committed or divinely sanctioned. Some Christians argue that "god only kills out of necessity", but a truly all-powerful being would not need to kill to bring about positive change any more than an all-powerful surgeon would need to cut people open to heal them.
Good point. I think the problem, IMV, is the part of "all-powerful" and its connotations at the expense of the purpose for creating humanity with free will. In my view, "all-powerful" doesn't translate into "all controlling".

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
In my spiritual-religious system, the most prominent attributes of the supreme God YHVH are ultimate Creation, ultimate Destruction, and ultimate Order over ultimate Chaos. Biblical myths portraying YHVH as having consumed people in fire and having destroyed them with lightning, winds, ice, hellfire, storms, floods, war, disease, famine, superpowered humans, wicked spirits and death angels, etc... are just pure awesome. Epic. Badâss. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the destructive aspects of YHVH.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
might doesn't make right; if it had Jesus stated he had 12000 legion of angels he could have called on.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I think it gives it more credence and validity. If it nothing but a fabricated story, they would have painted a beautiful picture.

What I find condescending is calling Christians ignorant, apathetic and making a made up story that it is discouraged by Christian leaders.
IMO most christians are ignorant of their own, so called "holy bible"; otherwise they wouldn't allow a preacher, padre, father, priest, to feed it to them in bits and pieces. they would give up the librarian reading it to them and read if for themselves. there is no excuse for those who are literate to expect another to read a book for them.

for some, there is obviously a negative bias to the word "ignorant"; which simply means to be unaware, or without knowledge.

jesus refers to some as fools

matthew 23:17 & 19

Kenny

Premium Member
IMO most christians are ignorant of their own, so called "holy bible"; otherwise they wouldn't allow a preacher, padre, father, priest, to feed it to them in bits and pieces. they would give up the librarian reading it to them and read if for themselves. there is no excuse for those who are literate to expect another to read a book for them.

for some, there is obviously a negative bias to the word "ignorant"; which simply means to be unaware, or without knowledge.

jesus refers to some as fools

matthew 23:17 & 19
I think you have just given an overview of just about everybody in every faith or no faith.

omega2xx

If you eve were a Christian(and i am not doubting it) you still are. You have become a prodigal.

In conservative Christianity the violent parts are discussed, but not as frequently as the other parts. What I find curious is why any Christian would say that because of the violence God instituted against others, is to automatically label God unloving, uncompassionate, etc. Why not look for the WHY.

Let me offer a few thought for you to chew on.

First, the eternal destination of those killed is never changed. No one will be able to stand before God in the final judgment and shake their finger at God and say "you did not treat me fairly."

Now the killing of the children. Those under the age of accountability go to heaven when they die. If they had lived to adulthood they would probably taken the religion of their pagan parents, and then they would not go to heaven. What would you prefer?

The Bible says God is full of lovingkindness and compassion. If you believe He is not always like that, you should find another God.

Psa 103:8 - The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I don't think that those passages provide evidence that God is cruel. They provide evidence that He was the figment of the imagination of those people.

What do we do when we want to annihilate entire nations or races because of insufficient Lebensraum? Well, we have first to fight the natural empathy of our soldiers. And how do we do that? Simple, we default any member of the competing race as wicked (little children included) beyond redemption, and we can prove that by claiming that this is what God also thinks. For God is with us, and not with them.

Ciao

- viole

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Keeping the old testament was a very bad idea.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

If you eve were a Christian(and i am not doubting it) you still are. You have become a prodigal.

In conservative Christianity the violent parts are discussed, but not as frequently as the other parts. What I find curious is why any Christian would say that because of the violence God instituted against others, is to automatically label God unloving, uncompassionate, etc. Why not look for the WHY.

Let me offer a few thought for you to chew on.

First, the eternal destination of those killed is never changed. No one will be able to stand before God in the final judgment and shake their finger at God and say "you did not treat me fairly."

Now the killing of the children. Those under the age of accountability go to heaven when they die. If they had lived to adulthood they would probably taken the religion of their pagan parents, and then they would not go to heaven. What would you prefer?

The Bible says God is full of lovingkindness and compassion. If you believe He is not always like that, you should find another God.

Psa 103:8 - The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness.

Making of a terrorist. 101.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

"I think it gives it more credence and validity. If it nothing but a fabricated story, they would have painted a beautiful picture. "

You are joking, right? Violent stories are the number one type of stories humankind likes to fabricate.

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
"I think it gives it more credence and validity. If it nothing but a fabricated story, they would have painted a beautiful picture. "

You are joking, right? Violent stories are the number one type of stories humankind likes to fabricate.

No, I'm serious. Because humans are violent, it would be of high suspect if there wasn't any.

lostwanderingsoul

Have you read any history books lately? Plenty of violence. Wars and killings are a part of human history. The Bible is a record of some of this violence.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Just so you know, that site is run by a Satanic neo-Nazi cult that believes that Satan is a blond, blue eyed alien living on another planet who hates Jews and communicates with his followers through telepathy. They think the Jews created Christianity as a plot to enslave gentiles and that Hitler and Himmler were trying to bring about a Satanic utopia. That stupid page even quotes from "the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion", which is a known anti-Semitic forgery. It then goes on to take a bunch of Talmudic quotes out of context, like anti-Semites are known to do. (The Talmud isn't even a part of the Bible, FYI!) It also babbles on about nonsense about "satan" coming from a Sankrit word and UFOs.

If you're going to try to debate, you're going to have use better sources than that.

rusra02

Premium Member
I believe when God destroys the wicked, as he did at Sodom and the surrounding cities, he does so in righteousness and justice. Not even 10 righteous men could be found in Sodom. God would have spared the entire city on their account, had there been 10 such ones. (Genesis 18:32) One wonders at the lack of outrage shown about the tens of millions slaughtered by their fellowman in our time, including millions of innocent children deliberately targeted. We are in no position to criticize the true God, IMO.