• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Karma & Works Are Literally the Same Word

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
From Sanskrit Karma (कर्म) and from Greek Ergon (ἔργον) both mean 'actions, works or deeds'.

This is absolutely appalling, that the religious groups are so divided they think these are totally alien concepts; when they both should be encompassed as the same understanding. :innocent:

LukeS

I think they're similar, but karma is understood in relation to dharma, or cosmic law, whereas works are understood in relation to God who can forgive and test etc, and is personal rather than being automated.

wizanda

Premium Member
Which religious groups?
Lol, you need to ask?

Dharmic religions use the word Karma, and Abrahmic Christian religions use the Greek Ergon...

There is the question of Jewish 'works of the Law (Torah)', and not necessarily that being seen in the larger context of all 'action'; which is often put as 'righteousness' as an overall concept...

So hopefully one of the Jewish members can add their own Rabbinic understanding, on all action/works being counted as righteousness, which then leads to our salvation/liberation/moksha. :innocent:
I think they're similar, but karma is understood in relation to dharma, or cosmic law, whereas works are understood in relation to God who can forgive and test etc, and is personal rather than being automated.
Again language barriers, and not enough knowledge has led to these divisions, that don't really exist...

To follow the Dharma is to be Righteous...

Through doing good Works, we show our Righteousness, and through maintaining good Karma, we show we follow the Dharma. :innocent:

LukeS

I heard that "dharma" can be derived from a root connoting "protection" (form these guys the NKT What is Dharma? | About Dharma ) - if so that's similar to "taqua" or piety/god consciousness in Islam, which also connotes protection. The pius are "mutaqun" or protected, guarded etc. Similar to the idea of a "dharma practitioner".

However as far as I know the NKT associate God with the dharmakaya or "buddhamind", and say Allah (swt) is a desire realm God, in fact a demon (devaputra) ruling over the lower realms (kamaloka, aka desire realm cf kama sutra, or the desire manual).

They are proper mushrik (polytheists), associating themselves with God as much as possible, theologically, in idol worship etc. Is it any wonder the capitalists' West are all over them (Buddhists)? Or maybe its just the appeal of novelty. Its a very tragic process, so called "men of peace" ought to get a life instead. Then again to be fair meditation, trance etc can be calming... and there are elements of wisdom in Buddhist life.

"The parable of those who take protectors other than Allah is that of the spider, who builds (to itself) a house; but truly the flimsiest of houses is the spider's house;- if they but knew" (Surat Al-Ankabot: 41).

"1. Woe to those that deal in fraud,-

2. Those who, when they have to receive by measure from men, exact full measure,

3. But when they have to give by measure or weight to men, give less than due." surah 83. Dealing in Fraud (Al-Mutaffifín)

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
From Sanskrit Karma (कर्म) and from Greek Ergon (ἔργον) both mean 'actions, works or deeds'.

This is absolutely appalling, that the religious groups are so divided they think these are totally alien concepts; when they both should be encompassed as the same understanding. :innocent:
Well, words do have a tendency to change in meaning over the years. I don't disagree, but I take the word itself has been expanded to represent other definitions by which it's used.

wizanda

Premium Member
the word itself has been expanded to represent other definitions by which it's used.
Agreed; unfortunately when the religious beliefs, don't match the glove of the authors, we really need to go back to the origins to understand their truths.
I heard that "dharma"
We can look up every terminology on the internet with multiple references to verify what is originally intended:
Dharma - Wikipedia
The Classical Sanskrit noun dharma is a derivation from the root dhṛ, which means "to hold, maintain, keep", and takes a meaning of "what is established or firm", and hence "law". It is derived from an older Vedic Sanskrit n-stem dharman-, with a literal meaning of "bearer, supporter", in a religious sense conceived as an aspect of Rta.
Dharma when equated to Islam is Sharia, in the sense of being religious law.... It is to follow the righteous path that stems from the one God.
NKT associate God with the dharmakaya or "buddhamind", and say Allah (swt) is a desire realm God
Unfortunately we should always go back to sources, we're in a world of delusion, and desires (Maya); where people are getting more confused.

Allah is the ultimate creator without form, beyond this reality...

In Buddhist texts like the Lankavatara sutra, Buddha refers to the universal mind, as being the manifestor of this reality, also existing in a realm of formlessness beyond this realm.
They are proper mushrik (polytheists), associating themselves with God
Buddhist do not seem themselves as God; Advaita Vedanta Hindus do.

Should recognize the Quran states, to not make distinction among the many Messengers globally (2:285); research their original texts more, and not what people in a place of delusion conclude. :innocent:

wizanda

Premium Member
The christian texts make it clear that salvation is not achieved via "works".
Wait you've stated on here you given up claiming to be a Christian...

Which at the time tried to explain to you the differences between Paul and Yeshua's teachings...

The prophets, and Yeshua say we're judged by our works (Matthew 16:27, Revelation 20:13)...

Thus Paul's Pharisaic ideas are just wrong, saying it isn't about our works (Romans 11:6), and then claiming we do works as we're in debt to God (Romans 4:4)... :eek:

Yeshua said the opposite, that when we've done many works not to expect anything for it; yet to say it was our duty to do as a humble servant (Luke 17:9-10). :innocent:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

That strikes me as being a gross over-simplification not that that will dissuade you from going down this particular rabbit hole.
Likewise to compare dharma to sharia is borderline revolting.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Lol, you need to ask?

Dharmic religions use the word Karma, and Abrahmic Christian religions use the Greek Ergon...

There is the question of Jewish 'works of the Law (Torah)', and not necessarily that being seen in the larger context of all 'action'; which is often put as 'righteousness' as an overall concept...

So hopefully one of the Jewish members can add their own Rabbinic understanding, on all action/works being counted as righteousness, which then leads to our salvation/liberation/moksha. :innocent:

Again language barriers, and not enough knowledge has led to these divisions, that don't really exist...

To follow the Dharma is to be Righteous...

Through doing good Works, we show our Righteousness, and through maintaining good Karma, we show we follow the Dharma. :innocent:
Just making sure :) Also, i did not know Abrahamic religions used the term "ergon".

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Wait you've stated on here you given up claiming to be a Christian...

Which at the time tried to explain to you the differences between Paul and Yeshua's teachings...

The prophets, and Yeshua say we're judged by our works (Matthew 16:27, Revelation 20:13)...

Thus Paul's Pharisaic ideas are just wrong, saying it isn't about our works (Romans 11:6), and then claiming we do works as we're in debt to God (Romans 4:4)... :eek:

Yeshua said the opposite, that when we've done many works not to expect anything for it; yet to say it was our duty to do as a humble servant (Luke 17:9-10). :innocent:

Using the christian label, really has nothing to do with what is written, in the texts. Your premise references the religious texts, and the bible does not use "works"as a means to salvation. In fact, you would find the same idea, in some Krishnaism. So it isn't all christian texts, and it isn't all hindu texts.

wizanda

Premium Member
Likewise to compare dharma to sharia is borderline revolting.
Only because modern Sharia has been heavily influenced by made up Hadiths... This is why i specified that was meaning religious law, and to follow a righteous path...

The idea you then think that is sick, says more about your now nit picking mentality towards me; used to think you were near enlightenment. :oops:
That strikes me as being a gross over-simplification
It is a very basic word analysis, and to anyone who is educated, they should realize there are massive textual contexts behind each concept.

Yet to those who are not so educated, it is a start in the right direction of seeing the unity of ideas, that existed the same more or less across many ancient customs.
Using the christian label, really has nothing to do with what is written, in the texts.
Actually it does, it is a specific term assigned to Paul and Simon peter's ministry (Acts 11:26)... The original followers of Yeshua were called 'Followers of the Way', not Christians.
the bible does not use "works"as a means to salvation.
Just showed it does, and showed the error comes from the false texts. o_O
In fact, you would find the same idea, in some Krishnaism.
The Bhagavad Gita says that our whole destination after this life, and the next, is dependent on our works/actions (Karma).
So it isn't all christian texts, and it isn't all hindu texts.
If we're a scum bag in all the texts, we're going to Hell; if we're a good person, we've got a chance of salvation/liberation to Heaven. :innocent:

wizanda

Premium Member
I didn't bring up Christianity
The topic is on a word specifically found in the Biblical cannon; the Christian ethics were first stated by yourself, as i differentiate Pauline Christianity, and Yeshua's Hebraic fulfillment.
I didn't bring up 'all the texts', you did. Lol
Not really sure why you're laughing; it is like not understanding what is going on, and then laughing at not comprehending... Yet you still don't seem to get what has been stated, sorry. :innocent:

wizanda

Premium Member
Who cares?
The great deception spoken in the Bible is to catch out the hypocrites, who pay very little attention to context...

So ultimately God cares, and is to remove those who follow the lies according to the text.
You clearly don't understand what religious text /canon means.
The cannon was established by the false Christian church, and thus includes numerous mistakes, which anyone worthy should've noticed.

Just because some religion says these are our texts we like, we're near Hell; thus would rather trust those who were inspired from above. :innocent: