• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

karma v. grace. [or not?]

i used to think that karma and providence were the same thing. [you get rewarded and punished on account of your actions.] but if that's the case, where does grace [free gift regardless of righteousness] come in?
I was reading the Catholic theologian Anselm of Canterbury, and he explained that grace is something that works alongside free will; in fact, grace helps us but does not compel us to do what is right; and in return, by choosing what is right, we get more grace [i think that's what he meant.]
Is it possible to reconcile that with the doctrine of karma?

FatMan

In my opinion, karma is doing what should be done. Grace is how you do something and in which spirit it is done in.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Luk 6:32-35
(32) For if ye love them which love you, what Grace (thank) have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
(33) And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what Grace (thank) have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
(34) And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what Grace (thank) have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
(35) But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is Gracious (kind) unto the unthankful and to the evil.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
i used to think that karma and providence were the same thing. [you get rewarded and punished on account of your actions.] but if that's the case, where does grace [free gift regardless of righteousness] come in?
I was reading the Catholic theologian Anselm of Canterbury, and he explained that grace is something that works alongside free will; in fact, grace helps us but does not compel us to do what is right; and in return, by choosing what is right, we get more grace [i think that's what he meant.]
Is it possible to reconcile that with the doctrine of karma?

The way I see it, grace is more akin to enlightenment than karma. It's what you achieve, rather thanwhat you earn.

From the Eastern perspective we have good and bad karma, from the Western, sin and redemption. (Yes, I know I'm oversimplifying.) However, each perspective presents a cycle of pain which can be overcome. The act of overcoming it is enlightenment to the one and grace to the other, but they describe the same achievement.

The main difference as I see it is that the Western, theistic perspective has an outside agency offering grace, whereas in the monistic Eastern worldview, enlightenment is something you have to seek out.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
There is karma and there is grace. Think of God as a computer user who has designed a program where for every input there is a certain output (the law of karma). However, God is easily moved by our devotion. Karma is not set in stone. God as the computer user can easily change the program so that there will be a different output. This is the beauty of God's grace.

Generally speaking though, karma does not mean that we are predestined to suffer. By doing good deeds now, our past bad karma can be offset and we can generate good karma for the future.

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
Karma is generally black and white, but there is the ability to receive grace based upon devotion to one's improvement.

A spiritual master has the power to forgive some kinds of karma. If the student has a pure heart, the master may wave him to the front of the line even though he still has many karmic debts to pay off.

Its like a credit card company forgiving your debt to them because of a good faith effort to make payment even though you may be unable to do so.

Nothing goes un-noticed by karma. You will truly get what you deserve with it.

x