• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Kansas Public School Takes Down Portrait Of Jesus After Complaint"

Curious George

Veteran Member
In my view, it is because the "issue" being discussed is so incredibly minuscule when compared to the big picture of educating the young that my senses are reeling when I consider that some actually think this is a reasonable thing that warrants action.

Interesting thought.

Is it really that big of a deal? No, I don't think so either. But was the school mistaken in putting the picture up or leaving it up? Yes.

Perhaps that is why it took "literally generations" for anyone to rectify the mistake. Now I am not a fan of the ffrf. But, this doesn't mean they are wrong in all cases. And in this case, they are at least substantively right. I am not familiar with the case beyond what is posted here but it seems as though others are making a big deal out of the case, not the ffrf. Bottom line some school was acting slightly inappropriately for decades. Someone finally called them to task and they responded. Picture down, no big deal. No one is rattling on about the harm the school has done. Religious pictures do not belong on the walls of public school.

The reason why this is interesting is because it deals with free speech, free exercise clause and the establishment clause. And these things are big deals.

So Podunk school USA has a pic of chuy, not a huge deal. But that doesn't mean this not a big deal should never be addressed.

On a related note, minimizing issues is a big deal. We should encourage political engagement not try to belittle it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Personally, I think there are much bigger fish worth frying, but that's just me.
My guess the concerns over failing education system takes a back burner in such important matters as defending a 65 year old inaccurate portrait of an ancient middle eastern figure.

jojom

Interesting thought.

Is it really that big of a deal? No, I don't think so either. But was the school mistaken in putting the picture up or leaving it up? Yes.

Perhaps that is why it took "literally generations" for anyone to rectify the mistake. Now I am not a fan of the ffrf. But, this doesn't mean they are wrong in all cases. And in this case, they are at least substantively right. I am not familiar with the case beyond what is posted here but it seems as though others are making a big deal out of the case, not the ffrf. Bottom line some school was acting slightly inappropriately for decades. Someone finally called them to task and they responded. Picture down, no big deal. No one is rattling on about the harm the school has done. Religious pictures do not belong on the walls of public school.

The reason why this is interesting is because it deals with free speech, free exercise clause and the establishment clause. And these things are big deals.

So Podunk school USA has a pic of chuy, not a huge deal. But that doesn't mean this not a big deal should never be addressed.

On a related note, minimizing issues is a big deal. We should encourage political engagement not try to belittle it.
What I find most interesting and note(news)worthy is that it took the threat of legal action to get the the picture taken down. Other than that, it's just another case of setting some myopic school board right.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What I find most interesting and note(news)worthy is that it took the threat of legal action to get the the picture taken down.
Perhaps it would have been more interesting and educational had a parent or student decided to put up a portrait of Ganesh or Zeus or the Quran or something like that.
Then instead of feeling persecuted and attacked the school administration could be explaining their position in light of current laws.
Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
Perhaps it would have been more interesting and educational had a parent or student decided to put up a portrait of Ganesh or Zeus or the Quran or something like that.
Then instead of feeling persecuted and attacked the school administration could be explaining their position in light of current laws.
Tom
Yup. It kind of all tailspins into stupidity no matter how one looks at it, and sort of pushes one toward the unwarranted generalization that Christians are stupid.