• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kabbalah, Tarot, and the Golden Dawn

yuvgotmel

I'm moving this thread from another section, because it more appropriately fits here. It is designed to answer some questions and talk about Kabbalah, Tarot and the Golden Dawn.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
As I was saying Crowley was a kabbalist his partner in the Golden Dawn was Reguarde (sp). He lived after AC died and took on an apprentice who was a women who ran an order in California. The only other order I know of built a temple in Tennessee.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Crowley's magickal abilities stemed from numeralogy and the Kabalah. He fantasized about astral travel through the 22 paths to kether. To travel the portals one would have to have perfect balance of positive and negative energies.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Reverend Rick said:
As I was saying Crowley was a kabbalist his partner in the Golden Dawn was Reguarde (sp).
Israel Regardie. I'm not sure it's correct to call them "partners." They only associated for four year before they had a falling out. (In fact, it seems like Crowley often parted company with others on less than good terms.)

Reverend Rick said:
He lived after AC died and took on an apprentice who was a women who ran an order in California.
Who is this? :confused:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
We are picking old dead brain cells here, It has been over 10 years ago. I will have to get back to you with her name. Many many many people wanted to apprentice and were denied. It seems they protected or locked their magickal teachings. You could study and replicate their teachings but there had to be a key passed on and she indeed received the key before Isreal died. The Tennessee temple was built to exact scale but did not recieve the approval for ordination from the GD.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
There are temples in Bristol TN, Los Angeles, Cal. and now one in florida. Chic Cissero (sp) runs the show now. The women I was thinking of was Annie Horniman. Moina Mathers was another.

yuvgotmel

To Rev. Rick:

As we were talking about in the other thread. Do you realize that there are differences in the Jewish mysticism, which uses the Kabbalah, and other non-Jewish mystical orders, such as the Golden Dawn, among others? I wanted to make this clear, because many people tend to get these things confused.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
yuvgotmel said:
To Rev. Rick:

As we were talking about in the other thread. Do you realize that there are differences in the Jewish mysticism, which uses the Kabbalah, and other non-Jewish mystical orders, such as the Golden Dawn, among others? I wanted to make this clear, because many people tend to get these things confused.

I was definitely confused last night, lol. Kabbalah, or qabbalah is ancient Jewish wisdom. It is the source for all kabalists, but I see your point that some would want to separate the two.

But then again, I believe Jesus was the greatest magician ever to live. No doubt he must have studied the Kabbalah as well. Remember when he was 12 years old how he amazed the Rabbis with his knowledge and abilities at their temple?

Miracles, magick, what ever you want to call it, the mechanics of it is in the Kabbalah.

Astral travel to kether or heaven. Even Led Zepplin "Stairway to heaven" Yes there are two paths that you can go on but in the long run, you still have time to change the road your on. 22 paths, ten stepping stones. Each path is explained better by studying the tarot along with the Kabbalah. There are two many similarities between the two for it to be a coincidence. Some say the wisdom was hidden in a game of cards to insure the knowledge was not lost. Empires were conquered, books were burned, religions fled, people had to relocate, the bible was translated, Many power plays were in motion to change how history was written and religions were formed.

It is a small wonder anyone can even find the truth, because so many people affected what we have have to sort though and read now. It is getting easier to sort through the mess of the bible now that the dead sea scrolls have surfaced.

Anyway, there is much power and understanding how the mechanics of miracles and Magick work in the Kabbalah. Fish being broken to feed a multitude, miracle or magick? How enlightened souls came down to earth to start the different religions.

To astral travel through the portals or 22 paths, balance between good and evil, light and dark, everything had to be perfect to transverse the abyss. I believe most of the souls of the worlds prof fits that started the major religions on earth made this journey and had to past many tests to get here.

How do Angels make the journey between Heaven and Earth? Astral travel! These perfect messengers from the all creator that started the major religions of today had to be very special indeed to make the journey like the angels can.

Learning perfect balance is the key to successful Magick. Miracles are magick on a grander scale.

Crowley tried to ascend to heaven via astral travel and some say became mad from the failed journey. He was only second degree magickan with the order of the Golden Dawn. His arrogance and delusions of grandeur caused him to leave the order before his formal training was over. One could say that they are different, the GD and Jewish Kabalh, but the old testament speaks of numerology and Jewish wisdom and that was what Crowley spent his life time perfecting.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
XAAX said:
Crowley, truly one of the Masters from the past.
See, I look at that pic and I just think that he looks silly. Some guy playing dress up. I know from his writings that he was very smart and had real power, but the picture is goofy. :p

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Reverend Rick said:
I was definitely confused last night, lol. Kabbalah, or qabbalah is ancient Jewish wisdom. It is the source for all kabalists, but I see your point that some would want to separate the two.

.... One could say that they are different, the GD and Jewish Kabalh, but the old testament speaks of numerology and Jewish wisdom and that was what Crowley spent his life time perfecting.
Elements of Jewish mysticism were co-opted by Europeans, taken out of their religio-cultural context and plugged into a different schema. (Plug and play!) The same thing has been done to other religious traditions like Buddhism, Hinduism and Taoism.

I'm not really condemning this, more ambivalent. I probably wouldn't have even heard of many of the religious traditions that I've studied if this type of cultural appropriation hadn't been done. It's part of our Western heritage. But I do think it's important to keep in mind that this was done. Keep in mind that things can get distorted when taken out of their original context.

XAAX

Willamena said:
Hey... he looks kinda like Paul McCartney.

Blasphemy! Kill the heretic! :biglaugh:
Actually it does a little, you should hear his Ode to Pan. Paul has a lot better singing voice…lol

XAAX

yuvgotmel said:
OMG.. He does! I never noticed that! :D

...Though, as an old man, Crowley was not, what I would call, "handsome."

What period Mel?

I have a pretty good collection of Crowley information...lol...I especially like the ones where he looks like Fester...I can't see those images without picturing a lightbulb in his mouth...lol...

I was going to ask Mel, I have some very old recordings of rituals where Crowley is performing the chants. You were discussing the sound vibrations of the voice. I think you will find it very facinating. I don't know if you can post sound bites onto here or not. If not I can email them to you.

XAAX

lilithu said:
See, I look at that pic and I just think that he looks silly. Some guy playing dress up. I know from his writings that he was very smart and had real power, but the picture is goofy. :p
[/left]

Totally agree with you on that one lilithu...that was when he was very young. Looks like he is playing dress up. Alot of Crowleys connections, as in The Golden Dawn especially , had alot of ceremonial symbolism.