• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just what is it you're looking for?

Treks

Dear Seekers

What do you think it is that you're looking for? Why are you a seeker, and unable to settle on a particular religion? Can you put it into words?

Dingbat

Truth. Simple as that really. I used to have a lot more preconceived notions about the Divine and Spirituality but over time that has slowly worn away. Spirituality is a lot like catching water in a flowing stream. Sure you might grab onto something but it wasn't the stream you were looking at before you acted. To me spirituality is far too dynamic to be placed into a simple box. Though I think humans need simple boxes as sometimes it can be overwhelming.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Truth. Simple as that really.

Not all who wander are lost.

I agree with this. I am seeking truth on several levels, though I haven't yet separated out the levels of truth. What I can say so far is that 'truth' is partly shedding externals, i.e. rituals, superstitions, dogma, and the like, getting past them. I believe they are stumbling blocks and obstacles to finding the truth.

“Now, Kalamas, don’t go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, ‘This contemplative is our teacher.’ When you know for yourselves that, ‘These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness’ — then you should enter & remain in them.” - The Buddha, Kalama Sutta.

It is popularly rendered as
“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

Gandhi's comment that all religions have truth, and all religions have error is spot on, though he went on to say that Hinduism was sufficient for him. I find that what are in my opinion, referring to the Buddha's quote, the erroneous parts of religions are what I throw out, and keep what I find to be the common truths. That's why it looks like I have no set religion.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I agree with this. I am seeking truth on several levels, though I haven't yet separated out the levels of truth. What I can say so far is that 'truth' is partly shedding externals, i.e. rituals, superstitions, dogma, and the like, getting past them. I believe they are stumbling blocks and obstacles to finding the truth.

“Now, Kalamas, don’t go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, ‘This contemplative is our teacher.’ When you know for yourselves that, ‘These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness’ — then you should enter & remain in them.” - The Buddha, Kalama Sutta.

It is popularly rendered as
“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

Gandhi's comment that all religions have truth, and all religions have error is spot on, though he went on to say that Hinduism was sufficient for him. I find that what are in my opinion, referring to the Buddha's quote, the erroneous parts of religions are what I throw out, and keep what I find to be the common truths. That's why it looks like I have no set religion.

Very Good! I concur wholeheartedly (although not on the basis that someone else said it, or wrote it, or based on authority...;))

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
More questions; because knowing the truth is limiting. When you have questions without needing to find an official answer, you are free to design your own reality.

Treks

Thanks for the replies so far and apologies if I inferred that those who seek are lost, that's not what I meant to say but didn't think it through enough before I posted.

For those who seek truth.. isn't science truthful enough for you? What is more truthful than reality?

The Neo Nerd

When i was seeking i was looking meaning and connections.

i found the connections i was looking for. I landed in the pagan community and met some of the most fantastic loving people.

I eventually found meaning somewhere else though.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Thanks for the replies so far and apologies if I inferred that those who seek are lost, that's not what I meant to say but didn't think it through enough before I posted.

For those who seek truth.. isn't science truthful enough for you? What is more truthful than reality?

Trying to find my own spiritual truths, deeper connection to this world, inner calm, betterment of myself and whatever you call higher power(s). I'm naturally theistic, so to ignore this would make me miserable, feeling there's a lack of something.

I'd love to find belonging with other people but I think that's probably doomed for failure, simply because I can't seem to be able to accept pre-packaged religions and Unitarian Universalism doesn't interest me, sounds boring to me and frankly a little pointless. So instead I try to find connection to the world, living beings, nature, etc.

Science is good for material truths, I like it for that but it's not what I'm looking for. Of course I do revere some material things (nature, moon, elements, Earth, universe, etc) but that's because they mean something to me.

Dingbat

Trying to find my own spiritual truths, deeper connection to this world, inner calm, betterment of myself and whatever you call higher power(s). I'm naturally theistic, so to ignore this would make me miserable, feeling there's a lack of something.

I'd love to find belonging with other people but I think that's probably doomed for failure, simply because I can't seem to be able to accept pre-packaged religions and Unitarian Universalism doesn't interest me, sounds boring to me and frankly a little pointless. So instead I try to find connection to the world, living beings, nature, etc.

Science is good for material truths, I like it for that but it's not what I'm looking for. Of course I do revere some material things (nature, moon, elements, Earth, universe, etc) but that's because they mean something to me.
Pretty much this to a T. To me Truth is not a destination but rather the journey itself. To assume Truth is just a waypoint you arrive at would be extremely faulty logic IMHO. The universe to me is a complex place both materially and spiritually. It is this complex mosaic that makes it so beautiful as far as I am concerned.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Dear Seekers

What do you think it is that you're looking for? Why are you a seeker, and unable to settle on a particular religion? Can you put it into words?

The path of knowledge and (one's personal) truth is a long and seemingly never-ending one.

Even when (and if) I can choose a religious tradition, I don't think I'll ever really end said search. There is too much to learn.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Science isn't truth; science isn't reality. Science is perhaps a path towards truth, but it is only one path, and it is only about some of what we experience, and some of what is or might be. From some of the my recent readings on quantum theory and the Higgs and its relation to the Standard Model, it appears that reality may not even be truthful. An article in the August 2013 Scientific American, "What is Real?" by Meinard Kuhlmann that left my head spinning.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]