• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just Found a Sci Fi Story from my Youth: "Four In One"

exchemist

Veteran Member
"Four In One" by Damon Knight, written in 1953. This made a big impression on me, when I read it in my teens in the 1960s, so I remember it well. I tried to look for it on the internet, but had forgotten the author, so initially had no luck. Anyway I've finally found it. Best of all, there is even a copy of the story, free, to read:

Four In One - PDF Free Download

I've just re-read it. It only takes 20-30mins.

Does anyone else know this story?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"Four In One" by Damon Knight, written in 1953. This made a big impression on me, when I read it in my teens in the 1960s, so I remember it well. I tried to look for it on the internet, but had forgotten the author, so initially had no luck. Anyway I've finally found it. Best of all, there is even a copy of the story, free, to read:

I'll put it on my audio book list when I'm at work.

I like Sci fi.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm not sure that I have read any of his books. I'll have to check it out.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Nice story. It must be over a decade since I read any of his work.
I find myself wondering how I might handle such a situation psychologically. It would be crushingly depressing to find one's body had gone and that one was trapped in this slime. On the other hand it would be quite cool to be able to grow parts of the body at will.

I presume the choice of the name McCarty, for the unpleasant loyalty policewoman, would not have been a coincidence in 1953;).

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I find myself wondering how I might handle such a situation psychologically. It would be crushingly depressing to find one's body had gone and that one was trapped in this slime. On the other hand it would be quite cool to be able to grow parts of the body at will.
The creature comforted them a lot. They didn't feel upset, because it made them feel calm enough to handle the bizarre situation. At the beginning of the story George commented about how strange his own calmness was. On the other hand he was surprised at the calmness of Violet who had been blind and could only feel the sensations of the objects touching the gelatinous mass.

I presume the choice of the name McCarty, for the unpleasant loyalty policewoman, would not have been a coincidence in 1953;).
She provides the moral: "Don't be like McCarty or Gumby. Be like George or Violet."

exchemist

Veteran Member
The creature comforted them a lot. They didn't feel upset, because it made them feel calm enough to handle the bizarre situation. At the beginning of the story George commented about how strange his own calmness was. On the other hand he was surprised at the calmness of Violet who had been blind and could only feel the sensations of the objects touching the gelatinous mass.

She provides the moral: "Don't be like McCarty or Gumby. Be like George or Violet."
Vivian, surely?