• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judge Extends Stay in Right-To-Die Case

Scott1

c.gif
LEARWATER, Fla. - A judge Wednesday extended a stay keeping brain-damaged Terri Schiavo's feeding tube in place, saying he needed time to decide whether her husband, who wants to let her die, is fit to be her guardian. Full article here.

Rex

Founder
Isn't this just playing politics? It's always been the next of kin that has the decision, why now are we challenging that.

Ugh, our forefathers are turning in their graves.

Scott1

Hmmm..... not sure of the "playing politics" end of things..... pah would know more about the legal justification for the judges actions..... seems pretty clear to me the husband does NOT have her best interests in mind..... if fact, I would wager that he wants her dead and out of the way for his new life.... in my opinion.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
SOGFPP said:
Hmmm..... not sure of the "playing politics" end of things..... pah would know more about the legal justification for the judges actions..... seems pretty clear to me the husband does NOT have her best interests in mind..... if fact, I would wager that he wants her dead and out of the way for his new life.... in my opinion.
Whatever the circumstances of this particular case, this is a truly awful position for both doctors and parents alike. We have had two recent cases - one in which the High Court decided to uphold the Doctors' plea not to resussitate, because, they were convinced the baby girl would have died very shortly, in great pain in any case. My heart went out to the parents who had built up a relationship with the baby for ten months; she died peacefully two weeks after the Court's decision.:eek:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I agree Scott. It's not apparent that he is doing this JUST for her, or to get on with his life. It has to be a tough situation to be in. I don't envy him at all.

Melody

SOGFPP said:
c.gif
LEARWATER, Fla. - A judge Wednesday extended a stay keeping brain-damaged Terri Schiavo's feeding tube in place, saying he needed time to decide whether her husband, who wants to let her die, is fit to be her guardian. Full article here.
I am so torn about this case. I think life is very precious and a gift from God but what is life? At first, I was shocked that they would remove the feeding tube and "murder" this woman...and then I read the briefs and court proceedings.

Terri Schiavo has been hooked up to machines for 15 years and has not communicated with anyone in that time in any way that indicates she's "in there." Yes, a couple of people have suggested she's possibly "trying" to communicate but in the next breath say that brain scans indicate severe brain damage.

Personally, I believe they've gone to superhuman lengths to keep this woman "alive" and I give them credit for trying but where do we stop playing "God" and "let" God?

If this were my child or spouse, I would let go and let God decide....and find peace for both me and my loved one.

This family has been on my mind and prayers for most of the last 24 hours. I hope they all can find some peace soon.

Rex

Founder
SOGFPP said:
The husband says she said to do it. And he has already said he doesn't stand to gain any money from this.

What other interests are there?

linwood

SOGFPP said:
Hmmm..... not sure of the "playing politics" end of things..... pah would know more about the legal justification for the judges actions
It`s a stalling action.
If it were really the point it would have been the first thing challenged.
They are really slandering this man hard down here.

..... seems pretty clear to me the husband does NOT have her best interests in mind.....
The only one who really knows that is Michael Schiavo.
He claims his wife told him her wishes.
It`s not an odd situation, this is something a wife would tell her husband if true.

if fact, I would wager that he wants her dead and out of the way for his new life.... in my opinion.
Thats kinda rough.
I figured if that was the case he would simply divorce her.

You could very well be right Scott, it`s just that we don`t know.

as an aside..

To allow the Florida DCF to determine anything that concerns anyones actual "life" is an absolute joke.
Thier track record for aiding the killing of children is pretty good.
If it must be determined it should be done by some independent counsellors