• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

John of Patmos. Some sources say he was Apolstle John. Was he?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Some sources say he was Apolstle John. Was he? If he were the apostle John he'd have been at least
92 yrs. old when he wrote Revelation.
I've read in other places John of Platmos was not the apostle John.
I simply don't know.
Your thoughts on the matter greatly appreciated.
Some documentation one way or another would be a nice touch.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
There are scholars who have examined the ancient Greek, and the author of John was adept at writing Greek; the author of Revelations was poor at it. It is even noticeable in the translations, it is two different authors, with different writing styles. ;)
Though that doesn't make it clearer, if it was the disciple John either.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There are other sources that say the Apostles were only young when they followed Yeshua. At 13 years old they were considered men, and their youth would explain their infighting about 'who is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven' and their thinking Yeshua was talking about literal bread when he was speaking of the leaven of the Pharisees. I'm inclined to think they were younger than presupposed. So John could easily be the Apostle and maybe his writing changed as he grew older, or he became ill. Anything could have affected it.

rusra02

Premium Member
Some sources say he was Apolstle John. Was he? If he were the apostle John he'd have been at least
I simply don't know.
The evidence for the apostle John writing Revelation is compelling. He names himself and says he is "John, your brother and a sharer with you in the tribulation and kingdom and endurance in association with Jesus, was on the island called Pat′mos for speaking about God and bearing witness concerning Jesus." (Revelation 1:9) Obviously the writer was well known and respected , as the apostles took the lead among the early disciples. Among early writers who support the conclusion the apostle John wrote the book are Papias, Justin Martyr, Clement of Alexandria, and others.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Some linguists tell us that there's more than one writing style found in Revelations so that it's likely a composition of two or more writers. Some Christian theologians, such as Fr. Raymond Brown, have even hypothesized that parts may have been written or dictated by John the Baptist because of the rather exuberant style of writing found in these parts.

jeager106

Premium Member
I've read the idea of 2 authors also.
Who "John" of Patmos really was is still debated by Biblical scholars.
Perhaps it matters little? Most Biblcial scholars accept whoever John was, he was a Jewish Christina writing to the 7 churches of Asia.
The translations into english are hard to understand and people have predicted all sorts of things concerning the "end of days".
There was a t-v show called "Revelation. the end of days."
It was lousy, bad camera work, not in accordance with anything Biblical that I know
of.

Theodore A. Jones

I simply don't know.

How old does the scripture say Abraham was when he impregnated his at least 90 year old wife? Is there not word in the Bible that you don't think you don't need to question?

jeager106

Premium Member
How old does the scripture say Abraham was when he impregnated his at least 90 year old wife? Is there not word in the Bible that you don't think you don't need to question?
Teddy. You must realize by now, based on your past posts that are demeaning in content that I tend to ignore all you say.
G'day.

pearl

Some linguists tell us that there's more than one writing style found in Revelations so that it's likely a composition of two or more writers. Some Christian theologians, such as Fr. Raymond Brown, have even hypothesized that parts may have been written or dictated by John the Baptist because of the rather exuberant style of writing found in these parts.

I did not recall Raymond Brown ever stating the possibility that JB was ever considered as author or Rev. In the 3rd cent Rev. was
attributed to John the Elder/Presbyter. The Greek of the work, which is the poorest in the NT to the point of being ungrammatical, probably reflects one whose native language was Aramaic or Hebrew. The impact produced by the fall of Jerusalem is important in shaping his vision, and so the thesis of some scholars that he was a Jewish Christian apocalyptic prophet who left Palestine at the time to the Jewish Revolt in the late 60's and went to Asia Minor (probably to Ephesus from which he was exiled to Patmos) has plausibility. Certainly is should not be considered a Johannine writing in the sense in which that designation is applied to John and
I-II-III John. In the view of the majority of scholars one does not have justification for speaking of the author of Rev as a member of the Johannine School of writers who wrote the body of the Gospel, the Epistles. To do justice to all the factors one should probably posit some contact between the seer and the Johannine tradition or writings.

truthofscripture

I simply don't know.
Who was this John referred to as the writer of Revelation in its first chapter? We are told that he was a slave of Jesus Christ, as well as a brother and sharer in tribulation, and that he was exiled on the island of Patmos. Obviously he was well-known to his first readers, to whom no further identification was necessary. He must be the apostle John. This conclusion is supported by most ancient historians. Papias, who wrote in the first part of the second century C.E., is said to have held the book to be of apostolic origin. Says Justin Martyr, of the second century, in his “Dialogue With Trypho, a Jew” (LXXXI): “There was a certain man with us, whose name was John, one of the apostles of Christ, who prophesied, by a revelation that was made to him.” Irenaeus speaks explicitly of the apostle John as the writer, as do Clement of Alexandria and Tertullian, of the late second and early third centuries. Origen, noteworthy Biblical scholar of the third century, said: “I speak of him who leaned back on Jesus’ breast, John, who has left behind one Gospel, . . . and he wrote also the Apocalypse.

truthofscripture

The fact that John’s other writings put so much emphasis on love does not mean that he could not have written the very forceful and dynamic Revelation. He and his brother James were the ones so filled with indignation against the Samaritans of a certain city that they wanted to call down fire from heaven. That is why they were given the surname “Boanerges,” or “Sons of Thunder.” (Mark 3:17; Luke 9:54) This divergence in style should cause no difficulty when we remember that in Revelation the subject matter is different. What John saw in these visions was unlike anything he had ever seen before. The outstanding harmony of the book with the rest of the prophetic Scriptures unquestionably proves it to be an authentic part of God’s inspired Word.

truthofscripture

How so? By stating a scholastically legitimate position based upon a solid exegesis of the texts?
Well, it's not scholastically legitimate, because very little scholastic "accomplishments" are legitimate to begin with. It's not legitimate because the scriptures WERE written by many people INCLUDING apostles of Jesus. There is no question, except maybe in your mind.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Well, it's not scholastically legitimate, because very little scholastic "accomplishments" are legitimate to begin with. It's not legitimate because the scriptures WERE written by many people INCLUDING apostles of Jesus. There is no question, except maybe in your mind.
It is scholastically legitimate, because none of the gospels are signed. The OT texts are too early -- none of the apostles were born yet, and we know Paul wrote Paul's epistles. The other epistles are not signed, but are written in Greek, according to Greek thought. There is question about who wrote the gospels, and who wrote the OT, as well as some of the letters. Sorry to burst your bubble.