• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JK Rowling: Profoundly Misunderstood

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
J.K. Rowling Claims Her Statements On Transgender Women Have Been ‘Profoundly’ Misunderstood In New Podcast

I agree that all the ire drawn towards her positions recently, is nothing but misunderstanding of her position, which isn't an uncommon one, even amongst biologists, sociologists, and anthropologists.

There is a profound difference between the lived experiences of biological females, and trans individuals, for instance.

There is also a split between what is biological sex (ie chromosomes and hormones), and expressed societal gender.

Sex =\= gender or vice versa.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
She's trying to hide behind semantics, while her actions speak louder than vague-ish statements on biology. She is actively anti-trans, funding and backing legislature and language that continues to dehumanize transpeople in the UK and abroad. The outrage and criticism that she gets is absolutely warranted, and she doesn't get to cry crocodile tears and weep misunderstanding with the damage that she's caused.

She either needs to shut up and go away, or reverse course in more than self-victimization if she wants to rectify anything.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I do not feel like getting into the problems with JK Rowling. I don't feel I've misunderstood her position. There are hour long videos on her tweets, comments, actions and such that date at least two to three years on the topic. Not to mention some the **** she's done regarding antisemitism, racism, and other LGBT hate(she's said a few years back the werewolves in Harry Potter are an allegory for HIV. Think about that with Fenrir Greyback purposely infecting children). I have no sympathy.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think some people have taken their personal campaign against her too far, such as by wishing for her death, and that's not something I find to be healthy or empathetic. There are people who seem to now treat her as a one-dimensional and entirely irredeemable person.

However, I also think some of her positions propagate harmful misconceptions about trans people, and it doesn't help that she praised an anti-trans movie made by Matt Walsh, a far-right extremist who has been extensively campaigning to ban gender-affirming care and spread falsehoods about gender clinics. If she wants to distance herself from anti-trans rhetoric, she needs to do it via leading by example, not just by implying that her deluge of tweets over more than two years and her backing of certain organizations have merely been "misunderstood."

VoidCat

New I think some people have taken their personal campaign against her too far, and that's not something I find to be healthy or empathetic. There are people who seem to now treat her as a one-dimensional and entirely irredeemable person
This i agree with some have taken it too far. However i will not fiancially support her books anything of the like because she has said if you buy stuff that fiancially supports her then you agree with her on trans issues. Maybe secondhand but not first hand.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
This i agree with some have taken it too far. However i will not fiancially support her books anything of the like because she has said if you buy stuff that fiancially supports her then you agree with her on trans issues. Maybe secondhand but not first hand.

I have never been a fan of her work either way, and I find myself alienated even more now.

That said, I'm a middle-class consumer in a capitalist society. I can't look at myself in the mirror and say, with a clear conscience, that boycotting J. K. Rowling's works somehow makes my consumption and financial contributions ethical. We all buy things from sources that make Rowling's words and actions pale in comparison. Millions of smartphones in use today were manufactured partially using literal slave labor in one way or another, and that's just one example.

I also live in a country where practically all companies are run by people who have beliefs even more conservative than Rowling's, so if I boycotted her on ethical grounds, what about those? The whole dynamic changes in that context.

VoidCat

I have never been a fan of her work either way, and I find myself alienated even more now.

That said, I'm a middle-class consumer in a capitalist society. I can't look at myself in the mirror and say, with a clear conscience, that boycotting J. K. Rowling's works somehow makes my consumption and financial contributions ethical. We all buy things from sources that make Rowling's words and actions pale in comparison. Millions of smartphones in use today were manufactured partially using literal slave labor in one way or another, and that's just one example.
That is true. But i do try to reduce buying stuff that causes harm when i can. Im sure not everything i own is ethical purchasing maybe even most things aint but I do try to buy ethically when i can.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I can't look at myself in the mirror and say, with a clear conscience, that boycotting J. K. Rowling's works somehow makes my consumption and financial contributions ethical.
This is the hot issue that's dividing the LGBT+ community, and admittedly some of us are taking it in a very poor direction. I'm in the camp that understands just how she gets her money; Warner Brothers will continue to give her royalties to maintain the Wizarding World IP regardless of the new game, so boycotting it does literally nothing. It's virtue signaling at worst, and a personal ethical choice at best. It doesn't make people who buy it monsters, as the money doesn't have a direct line to Rowling. It's not at all like eating at Chik-fil-A or shopping at Hobby Lobby.

So I'll continue to enjoy my game with a very well done trans character and my own trans character as a giant middle finger to the [REDACTED] who's IP has outgrown her, and focus my efforts to voting against the bills that are causing actual harm.

VoidCat

This is the hot issue that's dividing the LGBT+ community, and admittedly some of us are taking it in a very poor direction. I'm in the camp that understands just how she gets her money; Warner Brothers will continue to give her royalties to maintain the Wizarding World IP regardless of the new game, so boycotting it does literally nothing. It's virtue signaling at worst, and a personal ethical choice at best. It doesn't make people who buy it monsters, as the money doesn't have a direct line to Rowling. It's not at all like eating at Chik-fil-A or shopping at Hobby Lobby.

So I'll continue to enjoy my game with a very well done trans character and my own trans character as a giant middle finger to the [REDACTED] who's IP has outgrown her.
I did not know this. Could you give me the source?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I did not know this. Could you give me the source?
I'm working on that for physical sources, right now all I personally can find are really vague articles. One of my co-workers formerly worked with Warner Brothers, and has the above better understanding for how everything works in regards to that.

VoidCat

I'm working on that for physical sources, right now all I personally can find are really vague articles. One of my co-workers formerly worked with Warner Brothers, and has the above better understanding for how everything works in regards to that.
Thank you.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There's no good reason to call yourself a terf. It's trying to exclude transwomen from feminism by its very definition.

She's also funded organizations and lobbies that look to strip trans rights. Like LGB Alliance and opposition to the Scottish trans identification bill.

And she's so petty that she sung praises of authors like King until he said 'transwomen are women,' at which point she deleted said praises and blocked him.

There's no doubt in my mind that JK, like many bioessentialists and terfs, think of transmen as 'lost lesbian sisters' and transwomen as men in dresses trying to predate wome . That is, after all, how she wrote her villain in her series under the pen name of the eugenicist who pioneered conversion therapy.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ignorance is bliss. On my part. Unfortunately I know too much of her to be able to fully enjoy her books any longer. Thanks a lot guys:(:(

VoidCat

Ignorance is bliss. On my part. Unfortunately I know too much of her to be able to fully enjoy her books any longer. Thanks a lot guys:(:(
I knew too much just rereading her books. I used to love her Harry Potter books and you can find websites to read them free online. But I hardly read them anymore because now i see too many problems in the storyline and cringe.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I knew too much just rereading her books. I used to love her Harry Potter books and you can find websites to read them free online. But I hardly read them anymore because now i see too many problems in the storyline and cringe.

I was made aware of this a few years back so no one spoiled anything for me here. I am old enough so that when it turned out that Dumbledore was gay it bothered me a bit at first. Old prejudices die hard. But to hear that she has the same problem with others that I had in the past is very sad to me.

exchemist

Veteran Member
J.K. Rowling Claims Her Statements On Transgender Women Have Been ‘Profoundly’ Misunderstood In New Podcast

I agree that all the ire drawn towards her positions recently, is nothing but misunderstanding of her position, which isn't an uncommon one, even amongst biologists, sociologists, and anthropologists.

There is a profound difference between the lived experiences of biological females, and trans individuals, for instance.

There is also a split between what is biological sex (ie chromosomes and hormones), and expressed societal gender.

Sex =\= gender or vice versa.
I couldn't agree more.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

So I'll continue to enjoy my game with a very well done trans character and my own trans character as a giant middle finger to the [REDACTED] who's IP has outgrown her, and focus my efforts to voting against the bills that are causing actual harm.
Tbh I have completely different reasons why I'm not buying the blood libel rebellion game set in the Jewish Goblin pogrom era.

It's bad enough that goblins have been used as antisemitic caricatures since they were twisted from folklore fay folk into hooknosed greedy child abductors by early modern Christians, but the game literally takes place the same year as an actual Jewish rebellion which led to pogroms after the rebellion was put down.

...a rebellion against a blood purity lauding group in power who historically have mistreated the Jews goblins working under them. Especially when looking to reclaim stolen artifacts or work constructed under unwanted servitude...

It's a bad look. And just one reason why I've moved on from the HP IP to more thoughtful fantasy.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Tbh I have completely different reasons why I'm not buying the blood libel rebellion game set in the Jewish Goblin progrom era.

It's bad enough that goblins have been used as antisemitic caricatures since they were twisted from folklore fay folk into hooknosed greedy child abductors by early modern Christians, but the game literally takes place the same year as an actual Jewish rebellion which led to progroms after the rebellion was put down.

...a rebellion against a blood purity lauding group in power who historically have mistreated the Jews goblins working under them. Especially when looking to reclaim stolen artifacts or work constructed under unwanted servitude...

It's a bad look. And just one reason why I've moved on from the HP IP to more thoughtful fantasy.
I'd give this a wow react but i did not know anything really about the game what??? That sounds horrible

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Tbh I have completely different reasons why I'm not buying the blood libel rebellion game set in the Jewish Goblin pogrom era.

It's bad enough that goblins have been used as antisemitic caricatures since they were twisted from folklore fay folk into hooknosed greedy child abductors by early modern Christians, but the game literally takes place the same year as an actual Jewish rebellion which led to pogroms after the rebellion was put down.

I never got the Potter thing, if I can step outside the trans discussion for a sec. Then again, I never really got Tolkien either. Just not my preferred flavours of fantasy I guess