• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jews - What did 1st Century Jews see in the Christian movement?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
In your opinion, why were some Jews drawn to the followers of Jesus in the Jerusalem Church?

Why do you think they thought he was the Moshiach, when so many others did not?

astarath

No one else has answered you and though I am not Jewish neither am I christian, but rather somewhere in between.

I believe the attraction to the Yaheshua was his teachings. Obviously back then the jewish church was much different from the Rabbinical synagogue's of today. Operating off of a almost political senate (Sanhedrin) with it's many delegates and senators ensuring all aspects of the senates agenda are adhered to.

Yaheshua came along to change that and place the focus back on to the commandments of Yahweh. No more the was the focus to be on the inadequicies of the Senate of Sinners if you will but rather offer the realisation that these "teachers" were just as lost to the Torah as the disciples they taught. Yaheshua changed that and kind of said whoa hold on let's realign the focus here and get back on track. Why are we looking to each other for the answers when God already gave them to us in 10 simple instructions? It is easy to understand a child when they ask a question to which they do not know the answer but imagine God's frustration and bewilderment at being asked the question hundreds of years after he already gave the answer. I know I would get tired of repeating myself for hundreds of years.

I would be interested to hear what you have to say in regards to this?

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
When I read the words of Jesus I see someone who is passionatelt calling the Jews back to Hashem and to better Torah observance. However there were some concepts brought in that would not have jibed with what the Tanack says. When Paul came along and started really interjecting some strange stuff it got even harder for the Torah knowledagble Jew to follow along.

A really good book on this subject is called Why the Jews Rejected Jesus by David Klinghoffer. It examines the new religion of christianity through the eyes of a 1st centurey Jew and why that 1st centurey Jew would reject Jesus.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Thanks for the answer astarath, i thought this thread was doomed. :D

NoahideHiker said:
A really good book on this subject is called Why the Jews Rejected Jesus by David Klinghoffer. It examines the new religion of christianity through the eyes of a 1st centurey Jew and why that 1st centurey Jew would reject Jesus.
Sounds interesting, although i already have a pretty good idea why many rejected him.
I'm just very curious why there were some that accepted him.
There was also the movement of John the Baptist, and certainly many other "prophets" and teachers around at that time, a time of great cultural and social stress caused by the occupation.
My personal opinion is that many people were looking for the Moshiach, they felt they needed saving from the Romans and sought answers to why God was allowing the occupation of their land away from the traditional teachings of the Temple, and towards the innovative and exciting teachers of the desert.

But i'll admit that my knowledge of the Jewish mindset now and in the 1st century is distinctly lacking, which is why i'd love some Jewish thought on it.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
OK, IMHO I think it was the knowledge level at the time. I'm not saying that only the Torah ignorant were more apt to follow the teachings but when we look at who believed and became followers there are very few if any Torah scholars, rabbis or priests. There is also this assumption that the Jews rejected him as a corporate body which is absurd because only about 1 in 200 Jews at the time would have even heard of him.

Also christianity found little traction with the Jewish audience and it wasn't until they went to the pagans around the area that knew even less about Torah that it caught hold. We also find that once they did go to the pagans they sweetened the pot by assimilating in things from the pagan religions to make it more palatable.

shema

I believe that the teachings of Christ, were to fulfill the jewish law and some of the people who really hearkened to his teachings realized that. A lot of Jews did not realize what he was here for because they had been learning destructive behaviors and views from some of the religious leaders.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Halcyon said:
In your opinion, why were some Jews drawn to the followers of Jesus in the Jerusalem Church?

I think they wanted freedom from the law of Man, prefering to rely upon the law of God instead.

Ody

Misdirection and Poverty. I'm sure personal problems where a factor as well.

Belief in a false Torah.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
shema said:
I believe that the teachings of Christ, were to fulfill the jewish law and some of the people who really hearkened to his teachings realized that. A lot of Jews did not realize what he was here for because they had been learning destructive behaviors and views from some of the religious leaders.

While the law is to be followed it shall never pass away and never ever be foresaken. Even Jesus said not a single jot nor title would pass away from the law until heaven aand earth pass away, didn't he? Nowhere in the Jewish bible does it say the law shall be done away with. See, this is a perfect example of why Jews would reject christianity. Because G-d's Torah says explicitly that if someone comes along and tries to lead Jews away from Torah you should not follow them.

UnityNow101

Jesus Christ was given His Mission by God to bring the Jewish peoples hearts' back to God. They had begun to latch onto things of little importance and were putting earthly things, such as religious rituals and monetary gains ahead of God. Jesus was sent by God to purify the HEARTS of the Jewish people and bring them back to the "straight" path to God Almighty. Jesus Himself said that He was sent to save the Lost Sheep of Israel.