• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jews that Don't Believe in Punishment

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Hope this isn't an offensive question, just crossed my mind on the ride home today...

If there is no punishment, does that mean Hitler is in Heaven?

Don't get me wrong, Hitler is a HORRIBLE guy, but just wondering what do you think.

xkatz

Not all Jews believe in Heaven. Some would argue there is no Heaven. Others would argue Hitler is in Purgatory for a very long time.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Hope this isn't an offensive question, just crossed my mind on the ride home today...

Don't get me wrong, Hitler is a HORRIBLE guy, but just wondering what do you think.

It's not an offensive question at all. Many have wondered about more or less the same issue.

Not all Jews believe in Heaven. Some would argue there is no Heaven. Others would argue Hitler is in Purgatory for a very long time.

Yes. And many also believe that there is no Gehinnom ("Purgatory") at all. And some have no answer for what happens to the wicked when they die. Yet others still believe that part of the wait in Gehinnom involves punishment of some kind.

And historically, some Jews might have answered (and may yet answer, for all I know) that the evil simply give up their right to eternality of the soul: as some of our medieval philosophers believed, essentially the soul "energy" of the wicked is, at death, simply re-absorbed into the "energy" of the Divine that created it, losing all individuality and awareness. They cease to be, and at death they essentially just "stop."

Also there are those of us (a minority, but hopefully a growing one) who believe in gilgulei neshamot, or reincarnation. Thus, a person may be reborn and reborn again, in many different circumstances, perhaps even in many different forms (some who believe in gilgulei neshamot have said that souls can sometimes transmigrate into animal bodies as well as human), working off the "demerit" of their misdeeds, learning new things, and acquiring merit to "balance their scales" (as it were), until they are essentially purified, and have lifted the burden of their prior sins, and are ready to enter Olam ha-Ba ("The World to Come," about as close as we get to the concept of Heaven).

Last edited:

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
If there is no punishment, does that mean Hitler is in Heaven?...

Personally, I don't believe in an eternal hell with fire and torment, etc.

That does not mean I don't believe in eternal punishment. See, I believe in a Final Judgment, when G-d judges each of us as to whether we should go on existing, and also what that existence should be. Those who's evil is great, they are damned and tossed into the fire, to be utterly destroyed. It's an eternal punishment, without an eternal hell. It's the judgment that's eternal. JMHO

And historically, some Jews might have answered (and may yet answer, for all I know) that the evil simply give up their right to eternality of the soul: as some of our medieval philosophers believed, essentially the soul "energy" of the wicked is, at death, simply re-absorbed into the "energy" of the Divine that created it, losing all individuality and awareness. They cease to be, and at death they essentially just "stop."...

Yes, that's another way to look at the same thing.

Keep in mind, this is reserved for the truly evil, we would expect the quality of Justice to be exercised in the worst cases, the victims deserve it.

The average person will have 'worked off' their negative karma in Gehinnom.

Last edited:

Flankerl

Well as you can see we dont know anything. :cool:

What happened to Hitler. Hm i dont know. If what i believe happens after we die there are two options.
Perhaps he is with HaShem like everyone else. I believe that even the most wicked will return to their original source, God. To me it doesnt make sense that HaShem wouldnt want a part of him(the soul) reunited with him. But i can understand those that disagree with me.

But i believe you dont just reunite with HaShem after you die. Before that you reexperience your life. You experience what happened and then or at the same moment you experience what could have been.
Obviously this can be good or bad depending on your life. There is a term for it but i dont remember it at the moment.
And after your soul has been "purified" you reunite with the source of your soul. HaShem.

But then again i could be wrong. Which i probably am. :D