• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jews i have a question..

Levite

Higher and Higher
I have another question are jews for 100% sure that there shall come a messiah? Or teaches judaism that is it possible that he shall not come?

Different Jews believe differently. The majority of Orthodox Jews, and many Conservative Jews, and a very few Reform Jews, believe in a literal messiah. Many Conservative Jews, Reform Jews, and most Reconstructionists believe that the messiah is merely symbolic language for the need to bring about tikkun olam (healing or repair of the world: a bringing about of world peace, tolerance, ending poverty, creating just societies, etc.; a concept that messianist Orthodox and Conservative Jews share in addition to literal messianism). I have met a few Jews who don't believe either in a literal messiah or a "messianic" age of tikkun olam, but consider messianist language to be merely inspirational imagery to be interpreted as figurative directions for internal spiritual use.

Historically, most Rabbinic Jews have believed in a literal messiah.

Marco19

Researcher
Different Jews believe differently. The majority of Orthodox Jews, and many Conservative Jews, and a very few Reform Jews, believe in a literal messiah. Many Conservative Jews, Reform Jews, and most Reconstructionists believe that the messiah is merely symbolic language for the need to bring about tikkun olam (healing or repair of the world: a bringing about of world peace, tolerance, ending poverty, creating just societies, etc.; a concept that messianist Orthodox and Conservative Jews share in addition to literal messianism). I have met a few Jews who don't believe either in a literal messiah or a "messianic" age of tikkun olam, but consider messianist language to be merely inspirational imagery to be interpreted as figurative directions for internal spiritual use.

Historically, most Rabbinic Jews have believed in a literal messiah.

Hello Levite,

i have a question, if you don't mind:

Is the term tikkun olam is general and includes the entire world, or it is only for Jewish tribes, so it includes Jewish people?
i wonder if the tikkun is going to enhance/repaire/heal ONLY Jews by practicing the mitzvot, or has something special to bring to the humanity.

Thank you :)

Levite

Higher and Higher
Is the term tikkun olam is general and includes the entire world, or it is only for Jewish tribes, so it includes Jewish people?
i wonder if the tikkun is going to enhance/repaire/heal ONLY Jews by practicing the mitzvot, or has something special to bring to the humanity.

There have been a few rabbis who have interpreted tikkun olam extremely narrowly as you indicate, but the majority have said that it is something that will include the whole world-- a view, I must say, which seems to be a much more grounded reflection of the theology of the Prophets.

Admittedly, some rabbis, even today, focus more on Jewish messianism and the repercussions for the Jewish people, but even they admit that if we lived in a world where all Jews got along, Jews got along with all non-Jews, poverty had been eliminated in every society in which Jews live, and true justice had been embraced by all of them as well...by default, that is a world likely to be at peace in general, and just in general, and so forth.

But a lot of authorities today say that part of what will signify a messianic age will be the resolution of many of the world's problems, and the ability for all nations to get along together. It's an extension of a vision in the second chapter of Isaiah:
וכתתו חרבותם לאתים וחניתותיהם למזמרות לא־ישא גוי אל־גוי חרב ולא־ילמדו עוד מלחמה
"...and they shall beat their swords into ploughshares, their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, nor shall they learn war any more."

blue8

Hello again, I have two questions;
- what is the meaning and background of the commandment in Deuteronomy 12:23
"Only be sure that you eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and you may not eat the life with the flesh"
- and second, what does judaism teach about soul, does it survive the death in some way?
If you have these or similar questions already answered you can direct me, please.
Thank you for answering so patiently. :)

Last edited:

Flankerl

The first one is a basic dietary law of judaism. People who adhere to the jewish religion shouldnt eat blood. If i remember right the second part is a reference not to eat parts of a living animal.

What happens to the soul after we die? I still like the "i dont know, i havent seen it yet"-answer the best. Perhaps it returns to HaShem. But perhaps it doesnt. Levite will direct you to the gazillion posts he wrote about it. :D

Levite

Higher and Higher
Hello again, I have two questions;
- what is the meaning and background of the commandment in Deuteronomy 12:23
"Only be sure that you eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and you may not eat the life with the flesh"
- and second, what does judaism teach about soul, does it survive the death in some way?
If you have these or similar questions already answered you can direct me, please.
Thank you for answering so patiently.

Flankerl is right that the verse in question teaches us two things: first, that it is forbidden to us to eat blood. This is why kosher meat must not only come from a kosher animal, and be slaughtered by a shochet (Jewish trained ritual slaughterer), it must then be salted, drained, rinsed, and soaked three times, to ensure that the blood has been drawn out as much as possible. The second is that it is prohibited to us to eat flesh from an animal that was taken while the animal was yet living, or which was killed any way except for shechitah (ritual slaughter, which is designed to be comparatively painless and un-traumatic).

As for the afterlife, I would hate to disappoint Flankerl, so I will direct you to these four posts here, and say that I would be glad to expand on or further discuss anything you like.