• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish-Sikh Dual Religion combo?

Treks

The consumption of ritually slaughtered meat isn't the problem - it is only meat slaughtered according to Muslim rites. Jewish meat is OK.

But good point on the fasting.

Toxikmynd

Demir
Friend DawudTalut, I do disagree with the assertion that Guru Nanak Sahib Ji was a Muslim.

Flankerl, can you give any examples where you think Sikh practice would conflict with the Jewish?

Sadly I don't know much about Judaism, so I'm in a difficult position to compare. But you, Toxik and myself can have a discussion and compare. :)

Can we start by talking about Reform Judaism's concept of God?

1. The great contribution of Reform Judaism is that it has enabled the Jewish people to introduce innovation while preserving tradition, to embrace diversity while asserting commonality, to affirm beliefs without rejecting those who doubt, and to bring faith to sacred texts without sacrificing critical scholarship. - reformjudaism.org

gsa

The consumption of ritually slaughtered meat isn't the problem - it is only meat slaughtered according to Muslim rites. Jewish meat is OK.

But good point on the fasting.

Are you sure about this? Nothing I've read suggests that kosher meat is acceptable in Sikhism. Is there a source approving it?

Treks

Are you sure about this? Nothing I've read suggests that kosher meat is acceptable in Sikhism. Is there a source approving it?

The Sikh Rehat Maryada is the official code of conduct for Sikhs. Please see page 20 where it is describing the four transgressions that invalidate a Khalsa Sikh's initiated status: 2. Eating the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way. Sikh Rehat Maryada in English | Welcome to Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, Sri Amritsar Keep in mind, this rule only applies to initiated Sikhs anyway.

If we want to bring it back to the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji only, it can be argued that there are no dietary laws for Sikhs at all.

If we take it further and reach for the Dasam Granth, much is said against Islam.

Last edited:

GURSIKH

chardi kla
I am definitely dedicated to the concept of dual religion, and I have chosen my paths, but I'm not sure how they could work in a dual situation, and my clothes iron is broken right now, is there anyone that could maybe lend me theirs to get the wrinkles out? (I'm asking for a discussion on how this could work, and I will share my insight as well)
At the surface both(religions) may appear different but at depth both are One and the Same .Its up-to us whether to sail on the surface or go down in search of pearls.:)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My wife, who is a practicing Catholic, took a test several years ago and found out that her closest match was Sikhism. By chance, as I had some Sikh students in my classes, we were invited to several Sikh functions, including a large banquet. At one point in the evening at the banquet, they gave a brief explanation as what they believe, and my wife kept nodding her head yes.

I wanted her to convert because the food was absolutely delicious. However, since she won't :(, we now go to a Sikh restaurant on a regular basis :)(I eat vegetarian, but my wife will have some meat).

BTW, in general, they are a very open-minded people who do not condemn other religions in any way.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Truthfully I like the idea of practicing multiple religions. It offers so much insight on life.
In the eastern religions mixing & matching is quite common, but much less so in the Abrahamics traditionally. However, this is changing as polls are indicating that in the west people are more willing to do some "window shopping" when it comes to religious beliefs,and they tend to be less tied to one religion's doctrine.

Toxikmynd

Demir
I'm probably just going to practice the ways of certain religions on certain days, because I believe in the oneness of god and that any form of worship is acceptable.