• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish Messiah

Ebionite

The correct and only translation of ladonee is “to my master” or “to my lord.” The Hebrew word adonee never refers to God anywhere in the Bible.

"God" is ambiguous. Trying to unwrap Psalm 110 using the language of "God" is like saying "I'm right because words".

Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord GOD, the God of Israel.
Exodus 34:23, KJV

"the Lord GOD" is from האדן יהוה (ha adon YHWH)
"the God of Israel" is from אלהי ישראל (elahi yishreal)

Ebionite

not about the messiah

not about the messiah

Already addressed.
You don't have any answer to the question of who Psalm 22 and 69 are about.
You didn't address the point that "my Lord", implies that the adon (Lord) of Psalm 110:1 is someone other that David, so it can't be him like you said.
Psalm 69 is clearly Messianic in nature because of the reference to unjustified hatred:

23He that hateth me hateth my Father also.
24If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.
25But [this cometh to pass], that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.
26But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

4They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, [being] mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored [that] which I took not away.

rosends

"God" is ambiguous. Trying to unwrap Psalm 110 using the language of "God" is like saying "I'm right because words".

Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord GOD, the God of Israel.
Exodus 34:23, KJV

"the Lord GOD" is from האדן יהוה (ha adon YHWH)
"the God of Israel" is from אלהי ישראל (elahi yishreal)
In the Hebrew, God isn't ambiguous. So the site disproved you and you respond with a claim of generalized ambiguity?

There are technical words and phrases in Hebrew that have specific meanings and uses.

Ebionite

In the Hebrew, God isn't ambiguous. So the site disproved you and you respond with a claim of generalized ambiguity?

There are technical words and phrases in Hebrew that have specific meanings and uses.
"God" as a Hebrew word has nothing to do with Elohim.

But ye [are] they that forsake YHWH, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for GD, and that furnish the drink offering unto MNY.
Isaiah 65:11

The site got a few things right, but it's your job to make an argument if you think you have a point to make.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You don't have any answer to the question of who Psalm 22 and 69 are about.
You didn't address the point that "my Lord", implies that the adon (Lord) of Psalm 110:1 is someone other that David, so it can't be him like you said.
Psalm 69 is clearly Messianic in nature because of the reference to unjustified hatred:

23He that hateth me hateth my Father also.
24If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.
25But [this cometh to pass], that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.
26But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

4They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, [being] mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored [that] which I took not away.
Let's look first at psalm 22. It's about David. Furthermore, it is the chapter where Chrsitain bibles mistranslate verse 17. Here is a good translation: "For dogs have surrounded me; a band of evildoers has encompassed me, like a lion, my hands and feet." Notice that the Christian "pierced" stuff is not there. Instead, it properly translates "like a lion"

Now, on to 110. The LORD (yah hey vav hey) said unto my lord (David, or Abraham)... I already answered this. Did not read my post?

Finally Psalm 69. I'm looking at your paste of it, along with John 15 23-26, and I really don't see any connection between the two passages at all... Just because both use the expression "they have hated me without a cause" does not automatically connect the two passage. Hating without a cause is not an uncommon thing.

Ebionite

Because it begins with the words "A Psalm for Davd."
So if I said I had a song for Mary, would that mean that Mary wrote it?

The assembly of the wicked wouldn't have much of a chance of inclosing a king who was in good standing with YHWH.

For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
Psalms 22:16

rosends

"God" as a Hebrew word has nothing to do with Elohim.

But ye [are] they that forsake YHWH, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for GD, and that furnish the drink offering unto MNY.
Isaiah 65:11

The site got a few things right, but it's your job to make an argument if you think you have a point to make.
So you aren't discussing God but gad? In Hebrew there are many words for the English word "God." Are you discussing the language of Psalm 110 or Isaiah 65?

IndigoChild5559

So if I said I had a song for Mary, would that mean that Mary wrote it?
Of course not. It means the person who wrote it did so with the intention of singing it to her.
The assembly of the wicked wouldn't have much of a chance of inclosing a king who was in good standing with YHWH.

For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
Psalms 22:16
Like I already said, this is a WRONG translation. There is nothing in the hebrew about pierced.

Ebionite

So you aren't discussing God but gad? In Hebrew there are many words for the English word "God." Are you discussing the language of Psalm 110 or Isaiah 65?
No, the original Hebrew didn't have vowels - the name of the Semitic deity GD could be pronounced as god or gad.

The context was of the Hebrew GD[גד] of Isaiah 65:11

IndigoChild5559

So if the song said "dogs have compassed me", the "me" wouldn't be Mary, but someone else?
I'm just not following you. The psalm is about David, and his experiences. That's just not rocket science.
So what? It doesn't affect my argument about dogs encompassing a protected king.
All the imagery used in the poem relays a sense of being trapped. I'm sure David was in that position any number of times.

Ebionite

I'm just not following you. The psalm is about David, and his experiences. That's just not rocket science.
What's happening is that you're trying to make the facts fit your conclusion, and it's not working because your conclusion is a non-sequitur.
All the imagery used in the poem relays a sense of being trapped. I'm sure David was in that position any number of times.
For example?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
The notion of an innocent, divine or semi-divine being who will sacrifice himself to save us from the consequences of our own sins is a purely Christian concept that has no basis in Jewish thought.
Excuse me… if saving us from the consequences of our own sins has no basis in Jewish thought, then how do you understand / explain Daniel’s writing of the angel’s words recorded in Daniel 9:24 about the Moshiach, “in order to terminate the transgression, to finish off sin, to make atonement for error, to bring in everlasting righteousness…”?

Of course he would also be a king. Both roles would make Moshiach similar to Melchizedek, king-priest of Salem.

Ebionite

Excuse me… if saving us from the consequences of our own sins has no basis in Jewish thought, then how do you understand / explain Daniel’s writing of the angel’s words recorded in Daniel 9:24 about the Moshiach, “in order to terminate the transgression, to finish off sin, to make atonement for error, to bring in everlasting righteousness…”?

Of course he would also be a king. Both roles would make Moshiach similar to Melchizedek, king-priest of Salem.
"sacrifice himself" is not the same as "make atonement for error".

And [one] shall say unto him, What [are] these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, [Those] with which I was wounded [in] the house of my friends.
Zechariah 13:6

rosends

No, the original Hebrew didn't have vowels - the name of the Semitic deity GD could be pronounced as god or gad.

The context was of the Hebrew GD[גד] of Isaiah 65:11
The Hebrew word gad means fortune or luck (see Genesis 30:11). It was the name of one of Jacob's sons. It wasn't the name of God.

But as for you who forsake the LORD,
Who ignore My holy mountain,
Who set a table for Luck
And fill a mixing bowl for Destiny: