• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish fiction

I was wondering something, does anyone know of any good fiction with Jewish themes, particularly some kind of fantasy stories?.

I know the film 'The Unborn' was based on the Jewish concept of Dybbuk, but, I don't really know of any other type of story that uses Jewish themes.

I do know about 'Lilith's Cave' by Howard Schwartz, which does sound very cool, and I will be getting it, but, I just wanted to see, if anyone else had other suggestions (BTW, I do hope I've managed to make some sense).

Also, I hope you're having a good Shabbat/Shabbos :).

Smoke

Done here.
I don't know about Jewish fantasy, but I think everybody should read a little Chaim Potok, and if you're only going to read one book by Chaim Potok, you should read My Name Is Asher Lev.

RSGompertz

No Roads Lead to Rome
Hi!

I'm the (Jewish) author of "No Roads Lead to Rome." While I hesitate to label my humorous, historical adventure strictly "Jewish Fiction," there's no denying the sensibilities that I bring to this Rome tome.

Without giving too much away, I'll reveal that my reluctant young hero is the son of a wayward Rabbi, a kosher butcher on the lam. My young man is wrestling with the apparent benefits of assimilation versus the difficulties of maintaining his Jewish identity in a backwater province (Spain, 123 AD) where Judiasm very little presence. His brother wants to go to Judea and overthrow the Roman Empire, but only after assassinating the emperor.

But, as they say, "When it comes to assassination, execution is everything."

The whole saga takes place during the time of Hadrian, the eventual "father" of the diaspora. "No Roads" takes place a dozen years before the Bar Kochba rebellion so I can weave a lighthearted story with dark overtones.

No time like the past to understand the present! The e-Book is cheaper than a latte. Hope you'll give it a chance.

RSG

LoTrobador

I'm afraid I've never read any fantasy or sci-fi books that would include Jewish themes, but there seems to be quite a few articles, blog entries and discussions on Jewish authors and Jewish themes in those genres:

Jewish Science Fiction and Fantasy - a list of works
Wandering Stars: An Anthology of Jewish Fantasy and Science Fiction
Why There Is No Jewish Narnia
Jewish Fantasy, The Conversation
On the fundaments of fantasy
THE LANDSCAPE OF JEWISH SCIENCE FICTION
Is there Really No Jewish Fantasy Literature?
The Ongoing Debate Over Jewish Fantasy Literature
Fiction, Popular in the United States

Last edited:
Hullo David,

There is a treasury of Jewish fantasy stories, much of it struck roots in Europe, like the story of the Golem of Prague. Jewish fantasy includes tales about the interaction between demons and humans, reincarnation, and other motives.
You might want to see this link:

Amazon.com: Great Tales of Jewish Fantasy and the Occult: The Dybbuk and Thirty Other Classic…

That actually sounds what I'm looking for, I'll definitely check it out :).

Thanks for all those links, I think I may have been to a couple of them before, and, I do like some things I've read (in those articles, and on Rabbi Geoffrey Dennis' blog) about Jewish fantasy being the many Comic book, and other, superheroes, and other characters. I quite like the idea of the X-Men being, somewhat, a type of Jewish fantasy.

Thanks again (to all those who posted :)).

David.