• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus's Bloodline!

Doktormartini

小虎
What is your take on the whole Jesus Bloodline Theory?

I just finished reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail (one of the first books to bring up this subject...actual research is done and stuff) and it's very interesting. I'm starting the sequel, The Messianic Legacy tonite. I'm not a Christian so I agree with a lot they say: Jesus was a normal man, the crucifixion had no real significance...etc.

Holy Blood said:
The hypothesis of marriage becomes all the more tenable by vitrue of the title of "Rabbi, " which is frequently applied to Jesus in the Gospels. IT is possible., of course, that this term is employed in its very broadest sense, meaning simply a self-appointed teacher. But Jesus's literacy - his display of knowledge to the elders in the temple, for example - strongly suggests that he was more than a self-appointed teacher. It suggests that he underwent some species of formal rabbinical training and was officially recognixed as a rabbi. This would conform to tradition, which depicts Jesus as a rabbi in the strict sense of the word. But if Jesus was a rabbi in the strict sense of the word, a marriage would not only have been likely, but virtually certain. The Jewish Mishnaic Law is quite explicit on the subject. "An unmarried man may not be a teacher.

What are your thoughts?

P.S. Please don't just go lol Da Vinci Code. Discuss!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Holy Blood and the Holy Grail was the book that I'd read and considered far superior to The DaVinci Code when dealing with the Jesus' royal bloodline theory. I thought it built on it's story very well and presented something quite plausible and titillating.

There are some great rebuttals to the theories, too, that demand attention (sorry, no references here since I'd thumbed through a number of them at the bookstore :eek: ). My thoughts are that as much as it's plausible that Jesus is part of some Merovingian royal bloodline and begat his own child with Mary Magdalene, I don't believe it to be true. The riches of Sauniere were never documented and therefore never proven to be hush money from the mother church. The Knights Templar were never proven to have guarded documents that showed the bloodline - or whatever they transported secretly from their domain after they were cleared out, tortured, and burnt at the stake for heresy. Even the man who asked to be interviewed for the book admitted that his Priory of Sion was a fraud that he'd made up.

I've read other books that follow the same theory, but unfortunately, they use HBHG as one of their references, and that usually allows me to read the book but not with a sense of scholarship (not that I'm much of one, anyway ;) ).

Peace,
Mystic

logician

Considering that the gospels themselves disagree almost totally on the supposed Jesus' ancestry, we can assume he is a made up personage.

Bishka

Veteran Member
logician said:
Considering that the gospels themselves disagree almost totally on the supposed Jesus' ancestry, we can assume he is a made up personage.

And why do you say that? Do you have proof to back your statement up?

gnostic

The Lost One
Holy Blood and the Holy Grail is a theory and analysis of Jesus as a man, but the Brown's The Da Vinci Code is a work of fiction, so there are difference between the two books, and not really comparable.

Doktormartini

小虎
Well, I know the Priory of Sion is a fake, but that doesn't mean the theory is. Also, the theory is about the bloodline decending from the Merovingians, but there still is a possibility that they didn't even get with the Merovingians. You never know.....

Ody

logician said:

*sigh*

Thats kinda faulty logic Logician.

A

angellous_evangellous

The Jesus bloodline stuff is poo-poo and not scholarship. Time would be better spent drinking and playing X-box.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
angellous_evangellous said:
The Jesus bloodline stuff is poo-poo and not scholarship. Time would be better spent drinking and playing X-box.

I disagree...........time would be better spent drinking and playing XBox 360. :p

Peace,
Mystic

A

angellous_evangellous

MysticSang'ha said:
I disagree...........time would be better spent drinking and playing XBox 360. :p

Peace,
Mystic

The original Halo has been satisfying the beast.

logician

"Thats kinda faulty logic Logician."

How so, since it indicates the gospel writers were "making it up" as they went along.

Such is the case for all story writers, and the gospels are nothing more than that, with Matthew and Luke merely being expansions of the original text of Mark, with their own embellishments and bias thrown in.

SoyLeche

meh...
logician said:
"Thats kinda faulty logic Logician."

How so, since it indicates the gospel writers were "making it up" as they went along.

Such is the case for all story writers, and the gospels are nothing more than that, with Matthew and Luke merely being expansions of the original text of Mark, with their own embellishments and bias thrown in.
So, if I were to say "Logician is the son of King Arthur" you would cease to exist?

logician said:

the gospels that were accepted into the bible...not to mention, what if the gospels are made up...?..we cant prove their existence prior to 300 ad

Doktormartini

小虎
angellous_evangellous said:
Why do you say it's poo-poo?

Also, the Gospels were written like awhile after Jesus's death (Forgot the date but 30 years later is coming to my head for some reason), and also they have went from language to language so things could have (and most likely were) been changed and/or mistranslated.

nutshell

Doktormartini said:

Also, the Gospels were written like awhile after Jesus's death (Forgot the date but 30 years later is coming to my head for some reason), and also they have went from language to language so things could have (and most likely were) been changed and/or mistranslated.

Yeah. It's annoying. If God would have just given us additional scripture or prophets or something! Man, that would have been great and could have cleared up a lot.

*sigh* Well, here's hoping.

nutshell

Doktormartini said:

Yeah. It's annoying. If God would have just given us additional scripture or prophets or something! Man, that would have been great and could have cleared up a lot.

*sigh* Well, here's hoping.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
nutshell said:
Yeah. Instead, all we get is second rate delusional fiction. It almost makes one doubt the very idea of God. :(

nutshell

Jayhawker Soule said:
Yeah. Instead, all we get is second rate delusional fiction. It almost makes one doubt the very idea of God. :(

Actually, I was being sarcastic because I actually believe God has given us additional scriptures and prophets.