• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus or Christ Myth Theory

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Prove it! I made no such statement. If you can not participate honestly - don't.

The first time you called me a liar I posted:

Were you consistent, you'd advocate for obituaries and gravestones and post-mortem writings being struck from the historical record wholesale. No, you are selective about what you apply this ridiculous standard to, because you know that it reveals you as a quack if you use it everywhere.

You posted:

Now you are just flat out lying - I told you that I would accept a gravestone and an obituary as contemporary.

To make me into a liar, you had to twist what I said and make yourself into a liar. I was clearly acknowledging that you would accept gravestones and obituaries. I was saying your acceptance was inconsistent.

And now to make me into a liar you almost certainly must twist what I mean by "statute of limitations". To say that you've not advocated for one in the case of evidence that affirms Jesus' historicity is a flat out lie. 20 years? 40? I recommend you take a good long look in the mirror and examine your motives next time you feel the urge to accuse someone of being a liar.

I have not discounted any of it.
They don't, my arguments and stated beliefs are consistent.

I don't believe you are consistent. There could be information I am missing, but if there was, you certainly would've presented it to show me how wrong I am.

I called you a liar because you are making false accusations. If you don't like it, don't do it. You, like Prophet are insulting me over what you IMAGINE my position to be - which is ridiculous.

Call me a liar all you want--it looks pretty bad when you accuse others of things while you, yourself are guilty. I base what I imagine on arguments you've demonstrated agenda-driven bias against and compared it to beliefs are you promoting as yours. As it stands, I've proven you twice a liar and a hypocrite, and now I'm finding more inconsistency between your stated view that Jesus most likely exists and your agenda which seems centered on ruling out evidence for Jesus on bureaucratic technicalities. Already, before this, I have demonstrated that you are unreliable. I'm not saying that you're lying in this particular instance, but I doubt you currently have the self-awareness to recognize an internal conflict.

You are a myther whether you are conscious of it or not.

Last edited:

Prophet

Some people are writing that they are not 100% sure of the historicity if Jesus. So I am curious, what percent sure of the historicity of Jesus are you?

About 99.9999%. Caesar probably gets 5 more 9s

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some people are writing that they are not 100% sure of the historicity if Jesus.

The central (albeit logically flawed) method for testing hypotheses across the sciences is null hypothesis significance testing or simply "hypothesis testing". If you've read or done any research any just about any field, you'll be familiar with p values, which typically are interpreted as significant if they are below one or more of three alpha levels: .05, .1, & .01. If the experiment or experiments are designed perfectly (there are works such as Street & Street's Combinatorics of Experimental Design, that are devoted solely to whether the logic of the design underlying experimental tests of some hypothesis are sound), then these p values, if reached, supposedly tell us that we can be sure of at least 95% of our conclusions.

That's science, depicted ideally, and ignoring the inherent flaws that render the whole methodology largely futile.

You wish for a quantitative evaluation as to the probability of Jesus' historicity (or anyone else)? This is the method that quack historians who wish they were scientists such as Carrier use in order to present mathematical formulae that might impress all those who are familiar neither with historical methods nor mathematics.

So I am curious, what percent sure of the historicity of Jesus are you?

How are you defining percentage here? In terms of subjective or objective probability? Adhering to classical Aristotelian logic or non-classical logics such as an epistemic and/or ontological interpretation of fuzzy logic? How do you understand uncertainty such that "percent sure" acquires meaning?

Better yet, why not learn something of what historians do and of their methods such that you don't assert things about our evidence for Caesar based upon what historians say of the evidence for him, then assert things about our evidence for Jesus by ignoring the same historians and the same methods.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Though I am an oceanographer and a zoologist with a strong grounding in statistics. I have learn a fair amount about how real historians work (at least my academic colleagues) and that is why I am simultaneously appalled and amused when even "respected" religionists attempt any sort of "rational" analysis.

Prophet

Though I am an oceanographer and a zoologist with a strong grounding in statistics. I have learn a fair amount about how real historians work (at least my academic colleagues) and that is why I am simultaneously appalled and amused when even "respected" religionists attempt any sort of "rational" analysis.

Translation: SCIENCE RATIONAL! RELIGION STUPID!

Prophet

Why use so many words when the actual idea you wish to further reduces so cleanly to caveman speak?

Prophet

Wrong. You are using many words to disguise a weak simplistic argument worthy of a caveman as intelligent.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Then perhaps you could successfully attack the "weak simplistic argument worthy of a caveman" rather than attacking me?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
You have some admissible evidence to support that, you making that up, of did you just get that out of a single source, your Bible?
I don't consider the Bible to be a "single source". It is a collection of books written by different people at different times for different reasons.

In this specific question I think Paul is one source, the Gospel of Mark is a second, and the Epistle of James is a third. And although we do not have the Q source it is another one that is at lest strongly indicated.

Now I am not claiming that any of these sources are excellent, they are all flawed, and yes they were all written long after the events they describe. But still even imperfect sources can tell us something about history, and as poor as these sources are they are the best that we have.

Some people are writing that they are not 100% sure of the historicity if Jesus. So I am curious, what percent sure of the historicity of Jesus are you?
If I can answer this question for myself, I am only around 60 or 70%. I simply believe that it is more likely that these stories are based (however loosely) on a historical figure and it is less likely that they were created completely out of whole cloth.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
fantôme profane;3905277 said:
I don't consider the Bible to be a "single source". It is a collection of books written by different people at different times for different reasons.

In this specific question I think Paul is one source, the Gospel of Mark is a second, and the Epistle of James is a third. And although we do not have the Q source it is another one that is at lest strongly indicated.

Now I am not claiming that any of these sources are excellent, they are all flawed, and yes they were all written long after the events they describe. But still even imperfect sources can tell us something about history, and as poor as these sources are they are the best that we have.

If I can answer this question for myself, I am only around 60 or 70%. I simply believe that it is more likely that these stories are based (however loosely) on a historical figure and it is less likely that they were created completely out of whole cloth.
As I noted in another thread recently there are many series of historical novels that will tell you a about history. A friend of mine is a Lt. General and was having dinner with us. The conversation rounded to the quality of today's troops and my friend asked rhetorically, "Do you know what makes a good solder?" My son (then about 11) piped right up with a line line from Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Rifles, "The ability to load and discharge three rounds a minute in any weather, Sir!" We both laughed, knowing the source. So yes, you can learn history, even from fiction ... but let's not take all of historical fiction and mistake it for fact, just because 95% of it is good solid stuff ... you may come across an episode of "Blackadder" and get an entirely wrong idea of Queen Elizabeth.

Last edited:

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
Jesus has close to zero evidence of existence and his staying power is solely the result of zealots (so to speak) who can not see that in their god-blindness.

Naw homie. As mentioned earlier, many of the leading antiquities and NT scholars are not religious in any sense of the word.

Even at the beginning, the whole reason why Christianity and subsequently Jesus became prevalent in the first place was because a person, who was in all likelihood a non Christian, felt as though the religion was important for a variety of reasons, most of which not related to zealous reasons or "God Blindness".

Good luck with that - it doesn't exist. I said that there was no contemporary evidence of Jesus - which resulted in a huge whining rant from Legion about what 'contemporary'means. So far no such evidence has been presented. I never 'set the standard', I just said that there was no contemporary evidence.

And as Legion pointed out to you already, Paul was a contemporary of Jesus, so anything he wrote was contemporary, regardless of you own personal opinion on "who or what" he was actually writing about.

All of the Gospels save for John were originally compiled by contemporaries of Jesus. Look at the dates of original composition. They all fall within the timeframe of what, you yourself qualified as "contemporary" which was 40 years from the event.

Dating the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Josephus was a contemporary of Jesus as well, as he was born within a decade of the events as well. This is where you missed what Legion was saying to you. Just because the document was recorded a generation after the events doesn't matter. What matters is that the person who composed the document lived during the time period where people were still alive to give first hand accounts of the events.

Josephus on Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Josephus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both points are factual. And have yet to be countered with any evidence - just a lot of posturing and tantrums.

For all your talk about things being "factual", you do throw the word around a lot about things that are not actually "factual".

What do you mean? We have them because they were preserved - what are you asking?

Why were they written? Either A, they were written to document the life of a man, to celebrate his life, and possibly to begin a new religion centering around this man and his life, or they were written about a man to express a code of morals, or for some other cause.

OR

They were written as a fictional story to entertain, begin a new religion, express morals, or for some other cause.

I don't see there being any other options, unless you would like to present one.

You are misrepresenting my position again. I did not say that later documents do not count as evidence for the historicity of Jesus. All I said was that there are no CONTEMPORARY ACCOUNTS. The later (2nd century) documents do count as evidence for historicity - just not very persuasive or reliable evidence. Few if any of them are of known origin.

First, I was talking about documents being written in the early 2nd century that question Jesus' existence, not ones that support his existence.

Secondly, as mentioned numerous times, all of the gospels save for John were proposed to be written as early as 25-30 years after the events, and John, 40 years after the events, all by people who lived at the same time as Jesus. The same goes for Paul regardless of your personal opinion of who he was writing about.

So sure - there are no contemporary references to say that this stuff did happen - but you demand contemporary evidence that it didn't happen.

As stated numerous times, there are.

So you can not prove that it did happen - but for some presumably magical reason I must prove a negative where you can not evidence the positive.

No, I said there are early documents that say it didn't happen, but they are not contemporaneous. But yes, I would expect more than one document to arise within a century of the Jesus' life stating that he was not actually a living person. Especially considering the view of Early Christianity within Rome. I would expect that more than 1 anti-Christian writer, which there were many in the first and second century, to write something along the lines of:

"These Christians are so dumb, they believe this guy was the son of God, when the guy never even really existed."

If I were to start a religion tomorrow stating that Bob Christ was the son of God, that he really existed, and he died in a car wreck so that we can live in paradise forever when we die, and the religion actually caught on amongst the masses, would you not expect for people to write and/or say stuff denying that this Bob guy did in fact exist?

About time you actually read what I was claiming.

Or maybe it's about time you actually started stating your argument more clearly? Or even better yet, how about it's about time that you switched your argument to something that you could defend easier? :shrug:

Ermm.....
2 sons of god?

More like 7 Billion at this point in time. ;)

No if he was the son of god through a virgin birth, he can not also be the son of Joseph.

No one said anything about a virgin birth. But it's not totally impossible for Jesus to be both the son of God, and Joseph's son as well. At least not impossible from the concept of a child having two fathers, not from the point of view that God can actually impregnate a woman. Extremely unlikely, but not impossible.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130727072105AANWbsR

I guess I do not really understand the idea of putting a percentage value on a binary phenomena, either he was ... or he wasn't. I have trouble dealing with the statistical expected value of Jesus' little toe having existed ... but nothing else.

It's just like the probability in science. If we have one experiment demonstrating evidence for the cause of one phenomenon, while another experiment demonstrating evidence that something else is the cause for the same phenomenon, then we say there's a 50% chance that one reason is the cause for the phenomenon, and a 50% chance that the other reason is the cause for the phenomenon.

This is of course a very rudimentary example and things like study design, bias, and numerous other factors would come and to play. Also since we can't test a hypothesis, we are relying on evidence that already exists. So, through analytical methods, Archeological, anthropological, cultural, etc. etc. We determine a probability of an event happening this way or that on a sliding scale of percentages.

It's not the same as in science, but it is similar, save for the repeated testing of hypothesis.

How is Paul evidence for historicity? He dreamed of Jesus, but never met him.
Is dreaming of dragons evidence for the historicity of dragons? A: No.

This is your own personal opinion of what a person's intent, who in reality, you really have no idea of the culture, literary style, or anything else in regard to the culture in which Paul wrote in order to make any sort of case for knowing the intentions of what he wrote.

In other words, you have no idea what Paul's intent was when writing what he wrote, and people much more versed in what he might have meant have generally expressed opinions in stark contrast to the one you express.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Naw homie. As mentioned earlier, many of the leading antiquities and NT scholars are not religious in any sense of the word.

Even at the beginning, the whole reason why Christianity and subsequently Jesus became prevalent in the first place was because a person, who was in all likelihood a non Christian, felt as though the religion was important for a variety of reasons, most of which not related to zealous reasons or "God Blindness".
The entire field is god-blinded. Why should they get to operate outside of the rules that other historians are bound by? From what I've seen Antiquity Scholars are not too bad a log, but when the word "Biblical" or "NT" is used as the preceding adjective rationality is replaced some form of faith and scholarship by semantics.
And as Legion pointed out to you already, Paul was a contemporary of Jesus, so anything he wrote was contemporary, regardless of you own personal opinion on "who or what" he was actually writing about.
No, contemporaneous mean "at the same time" not "decades later."
All of the Gospels save for John were originally compiled by contemporaries of Jesus. Look at the dates of original composition. They all fall within the timeframe of what, you yourself qualified as "contemporary" which was 40 years from the event.

Dating the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I disagree, human memory being what it is I'd give you a couple of years for "primary sources." "Eyewitness" reports that are decades old are notoriously erroneous, since the memory is changed and re-written every time it is trotted out and stored back.
Josephus was a contemporary of Jesus as well, as he was born within a decade of the events as well. This is where you missed what Legion was saying to you. Just because the document was recorded a generation after the events doesn't matter. What matters is that the person who composed the document lived during the time period where people were still alive to give first hand accounts of the events.

Josephus on Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Josephus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No, Josephus was born after Jesus' alleged death.
Why were they written? Either A, they were written to document the life of a man, to celebrate his life, and possibly to begin a new religion centering around this man and his life, or they were written about a man to express a code of morals, or for some other cause.

OR

They were written as a fictional story to entertain, begin a new religion, express morals, or for some other cause.

I don't see there being any other options, unless you would like to present one.
The usual reason, to make a buck, to carve a new life out of a gullible public.
It's just like the probability in science. If we have one experiment demonstrating evidence for the cause of one phenomenon, while another experiment demonstrating evidence that something else is the cause for the same phenomenon, then we say there's a 50% chance that one reason is the cause for the phenomenon, and a 50% chance that the other reason is the cause for the phenomenon.
That's not how science works, in a 50/50 case we'd say we have no idea. You are illustrating the logical fallacy of the false dichotomy.

Prophet

You have some admissible evidence to support that, you making that up, of did you just get that out of a single source, your Bible?

In addition to you blithely ignoring that the Bible is an anthology of many sources pieced together and NOT just one source, you also thoughtlessly brush aside the significance of the written gospels and Paul's epistles being recorded and regarded well within a human lifespan of Jesus' lifetime and the circumstantial evidence this situation creates. In a climate of harsh persecution such as the one Christianity faced early on (Roman emperors had a proud tradition of routinely executing Christians to satisfy the mob), certainly the loudest and strongest Roman rejection of Christianity would be that their prophet was nothing more than a myth if that were verifiable.

If my history serves me correct, no one even tries submitting that Christ myth theory until 150 years after Jesus' alleged time on earth and it wasn't even Rome that tried it, but rather a being attempting to convince his followers that he was the Christ.

Last edited:

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Written like a true apologist blended with a wacko conspiracy theorist, I'd love to see the excuses you gave your teachers over the years, "dog ate my paper" would never have been creative enough.

Prophet

Christ myth theorists are science's version of Christianity's intelligent design advocates.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
As I noted in another thread recently there are many series of historical novels that will tell you a about history. A friend of mine is a Lt. General and was having dinner with us. The conversation rounded to the quality of today's troops and my friend asked rhetorically, "Do you know what makes a good solder?" My son (then about 11) piped right up with a line line from Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Rifles, "The ability to load and discharge three rounds a minute in any weather, Sir!" We both laughed, knowing the source. So yes, you can learn history, even from fiction ... but let's not take all of historical fiction and mistake it for fact, just because 95% of it is good solid stuff ... you may come across an episode of "Blackadder" and get an entirely wrong idea of Queen Elizabeth.

fro
Agreed on all points. And Gospels are certainly not "biographies" as some people have claimed. They are theological works designed to convince people about theological ideas. Gleaning historical information from these kinds of works is certainly problematic, but it is not impossible. We can compare different sources, we can look at them in the context of what we know about the culture and the politics of that time, and we can consider the motives and biases of the authors. And we can make determinations about what parts are more likely to be historically accurate and which parts are less likely to be historically accurate.

And as I have said before, these are the best sources we have for the historicity of Jesus of Nazareth. It doesn't make sense for historians to ignore them.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
The first time you called me a liar I posted:

You posted:

To make me into a liar, you had to twist what I said and make yourself into a liar. I was clearly acknowledging that you would accept gravestones and obituaries. I was saying your acceptance was inconsistent.

You are a liar because you make false accusations. If you don't like beong called out on your inventions - don't do it. I do not dismiss any of the evidence.
And now to make me into a liar you almost certainly must twist what I mean by "statute of limitations". To say that you've not advocated for one in the case of evidence that affirms Jesus' historicity is a flat out lie. 20 years? 40?

That's not ' setting a statute of limitations', it is simply me asking for the evidence that you claim exists - but are yet to identify.
I recommend you take a good long look in the mirror and examine your motives next time you feel the urge to accuse someone of being a liar.

My motive was simply to encourage you to stop inventing false accusations.
I don't believe you are consistent. There could be information I am missing, but if there was, you certainly would've presented it to show me how wrong I am.

Rubnish, I do not need to disprove your false accusations - it is for you to substantiate them.
Call me a liar all you want--it looks pretty bad when you accuse others of things while you, yourself are guilty.

Another false allegation.
I base what I imagine on arguments you've demonstrated agenda-driven bias against and compared it to beliefs are you promoting as yours. As it stands, I've proven you twice a liar and a hypocrite

And yet another falsehood - I have not lied, and you have yet to substantiate any of your accusations - in fact as you go on to admit, most of your accusations address what you imagine I believe, not what I have actually claimed or argued
and now I'm finding more inconsistency between your stated view that Jesus most likely exists

And another false claim - I did not state that view.
and your agenda which seems centered on ruling out evidence for Jesus on bureaucratic technicalities.

And yet another falsehood - I have not ruled out any evidence, and argued for no such 'bureaucratic technicality' .
Already, before this, I have demonstrated that you are unreliable. I'm not saying that you're lying in this particular instance, but I doubt you currently have the self-awareness to recognize an internal conflict.

You are a myther whether you are conscious of it or not.

And you finish with yet another falsehood - no I am not a myther.