• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus' Lost Years

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I would agree.

I once heard that there was a well known Buddhist group in Egypt around the first century. I don't know how accurate that is, since I can't recall the source, but as you said, the trade routes would have made relatively easy for 'India' to have come to 'Jesus.' And even if it wasn't to Jesus directly, I am sure there would have been an amount of influence anyway just from Jews and Buddhist interacting.

wasnt it against the mosaic law for a jew to associate with people from different nations and religions?

If any jew did so, they would have been breaking their own laws, so its highly doubtful that Jesus would have been teaching buddists even if they traveled to him. Besides that, he didnt begin his ministry until he was 30 years of age...so he wasnt teaching anything as a young man.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
That's a new one on me. How did they "associate" with the Romans or other peoples of the region?

they didnt.

It is said that if a gentile was walking on the street, a jew would cross to the other side just so they wouldnt even be walking along side them.

And there is the account in the gospel of the night of Jesus death when the older men of the Sanhedrin would not step into the governors palace for fear it would defile them.
John 18:28 Then they led Jesus from Ca′ia·phas to the governor’s palace. It was now early in the day. But they themselves did not enter into the governor’s palace, that they might not get defiled but might eat the passover. 29 Therefore Pilate came outside to them ...

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
wasnt it against the mosaic law for a jew to associate with people from different nations and religions?

If any jew did so, they would have been breaking their own laws, so its highly doubtful that Jesus would have been teaching buddists even if they traveled to him. Besides that, he didnt begin his ministry until he was 30 years of age...so he wasnt teaching anything as a young man.

I didn't say anything about Jesus teaching. If anything, he would be learning g. But I implied neither.

Also, Jews did not have to segregate themselves. Yes, certain interactions could make one ritually unclean. But that doesn't mean they couldn't intermingle. In fact, the Temple itself had a section for Gentiles and many Jews, especially in the diaspora had to live among non-Jews.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I didn't say anything about Jesus teaching. If anything, he would be learning g. But I implied neither.

Also, Jews did not have to segregate themselves. Yes, certain interactions could make one ritually unclean. But that doesn't mean they couldn't intermingle. In fact, the Temple itself had a section for Gentiles and many Jews, especially in the diaspora had to live among non-Jews.

there is a difference between living among non jews and associating with them or learning from them or teaching them.

They really only taught those who wanted to become proselytes...but the mosaic law is very strict that intermarriage was not permitted, nor was adopting the teachings or religions of the nations. If Jesus did any of those things, he would have been a law breaker.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
there is a difference between living among non jews and associating with them or learning from them or teaching them.

They really only taught those who wanted to become proselytes...but the mosaic law is very strict that intermarriage was not permitted, nor was adopting the teachings or religions of the nations. If Jesus did any of those things, he would have been a law breaker.

Then Jesus and all Jews were law breakers. Now, can you show any law that said one couldn't learn from others simply because of a different religion? I doubt it as it is well accepted that Judaism was influenced by other religions.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
And they are a small minority. Not really representative of the whole.

true, however they do represent the most strict adherence to the laws requirement. I know not all jews follow such a strict observance, but its in there as part of the mosaic law.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
true, however they do represent the most strict adherence to the laws requirement. I know not all jews follow such a strict observance, but its in there as part of the mosaic law.

I think what you're referring to came much later in Judaism.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I think what you're referring to came much later in Judaism.

the custom is referenced to in the greek scriptures a few times, so if it did come later, it was prevalent in the first century.

eg.
Acts 10:24 On the day after that he (Apostle Peter) entered into Caes·a·re′a. Cornelius, of course, was expecting them ...27 And as he conversed with him he went in and found many people assembled, 28 and he said to them: “YOU well know how unlawful it is for a Jew to join himself to or approach a man of another race; and yet God has shown me I should call no man defiled or unclean. 29 Hence I came, really without objection...

John 4:9 Therefore the Sa·mar′i·tan woman said to him: “How is it that you, despite being a Jew, ask me for a drink, when I am a Sa·mar′i·tan woman?” (For Jews have no dealings with Sa·mar′i·tans.)...

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member

In the Gospel didn't Jesus talk to TONS of people he wasn't 'supposed to'?

Heck, to me, that is a main theme of It. Question Laws and Actualize the Intention.

I agree. Sharing of ideas can't be 'outlawed'... no law pun.... sharing of ideas is as simple and natural as the breeze passing through. Talking or not, people see how others live as the pass by.

do you know how the ultra orthodox jews live?

They dont mingle with non jews even today and not only at passover time.

I think the cloistering of the Orthodox Jewish folks have a lot to do with reactionary ideas over Mosaic Law.

If you're will to find the Law I'd be interested in hearing it.

But I have to admit, being taught Mosaic Law by a Christian is a little funny, no offense.
I mean... if we're going to start reading the Hebrew Scriptures like Jews, then there is a lot of revision of dogma and theology that will have to change.

But that's beside the point.....
People learn from each other whether they talk or not,
Whether it's allowed or not....

People are people are "Laws" doesn't mean anything to an individual's actions.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Has anyone read Living Buddha, Living Christ or Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers by Thich Nhat Hanh? (I realise this is straying into comparative religion territory but it does seem appropriate given the speculation on the thread. If a mod wants to move the thread that's fine; but my original question remains which is why I put the OP in the Christianity forum).

Last edited by a moderator:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Has anyone read Living Buddha, Living Christ or Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers by Thich Nhat Hanh? (I realise this is straying into comparative religion territory but it does seem appropriate given the speculation on the thread. If a mod wants to move the thread that's fine; but my original question remains which is why I put the OP in the Christianity forum).
I've read Living Buddha, Living Christ.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member

I've read 'Living Buddha, Living Christ', is a beautiful book, and coincidentally my Priest at an Anglican Church in Toronto also has it on her 'top reads' for members looking for inspiration.