• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus - Liberal or Conservative?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Was Jesus a liberal or conservative?

Liberal:
1. broad-minded: tolerant of different views and standards of behavior in others
2. politics progressive politically or socially: favoring gradual reform, especially political reforms that extend democracy, distribute wealth more evenly, and protect the personal freedom of the individual
3. generous: generous with money, time, or some other asset

Conservative:
1. reluctant to accept change: in favor of preserving the status quo and traditional values and customs, and against abrupt change
2. the political position that advocates the preservation of established or orthodox beliefs practices and institutions.

Using these definitions, I would say Jesus was a liberal. He advocated for civil rights- tried to change the orthodoxy, the belief that the poor and sick are that way because they brought on God's wrath due to their sins. He fought to give access to the temple for all so that sins may be forgiven, and he violated every social rule of the time. He did not act to preserve the establishment, but to change it. There was nothing conservative in any of his actions.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
back then, he was definitly a liberal. because he was going against strict conservative priests with his wayward and broad views. hm....

Ronald

Maize said:
Was Jesus a liberal or conservative?

Liberal:
1. broad-minded: tolerant of different views and standards of behavior in others

3. generous: generous with money, time, or some other asset

Conservative:

2. the political position that advocates the preservation of established or orthodox beliefs practices and institutions.

Put #2 in place and you have a view of his stand.
Study The Torah, you will find that he was a great Rabbi. Showing the Rabbi's of the time how far away from Torah they were.
Tolerant of Sinners
Advocate of orthodox beliefs.
Generous and compassionate
A great Jew.

Ronald

It does to me. You are entitled to your opinion!
It seems to me you have all the answers, but you never share the wealth.
If you have the Key to the Kingdom, open up, go in, and lead all of us in. Please.

According to what is written in the Gospels, I would say Jesus could be construed as either liberal or conservative. From a modern perspective, Jesus was definitely conservative...he didn't think people should ever divorce their spouses, or swear, and he encourages the ascetic life. But compared to other Jews of the time, Jesus would probably fall more under the definition of liberal.

hebrew

Christ was neither; Christ was about LAW, ORDER, and RIGHTEOUSNESS first as is his father, and of course faith, grace, and mercy as was the purpose of his death. ICor 14:40 Math 5:17-19 This liberal/conservative stuff is nonsense which was created by man to divide corrupt policitics. The Most High has no politics and division, you just follow his commandments and that is it.