• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

jesus helped how??

BIG D

with all the christmas music going on, I had to ask again, how did jesus help???the world/humans has/have not changed at all

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
with all the christmas music going on, I had to ask again, how did jesus help???the world/humans has/have not changed at all
Changed at all how? Certainly it has changed since the time of Jesus. It's changed even in the last 30 years.

How does Jesus help? Maybe he doesn't help everyone. But for some, the belief in Jesus goes a long way. It gives them a reason to be more giving, to be more grateful. It gives them a reason not to fear death, and just makes them happy.

I think that in itself shows enough.

BIG D

but we still have wars/rape/murder/genocide/theft/etc....parents killing children/children killing parents.....mankind has not changed.....can anyone say the world has gotten better??..we had the greatest rape/murder/destruction of all time[[WWII]]AFTER christ came...

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
but we still have wars/rape/murder/genocide/theft/etc....parents killing children/children killing parents.....mankind has not changed.....can anyone say the world has gotten better??..we had the greatest rape/murder/destruction of all time[[WWII]]AFTER christ came...
I'm not really convinced by that. We are not living in constant warfare. We don't have to really worry about a leader who is conquering the world. We live in relative safety. Yes, we still have evil. But things have also changed. Things have changed since even WWII. We no longer live in the dark ages.

A

angellous_evangellous

I'm not really convinced by that. We are not living in constant warfare. We don't have to really worry about a leader who is conquering the world. We live in relative safety. Yes, we still have evil. But things have also changed. Things have changed since even WWII. We no longer live in the dark ages.

That depends on where you live.

There's more than one place in the world that's been at war for more than 40 years.

ellenjanuary

What Christian music? I go to the store, they play Christmas music; I know better. That stuff is the Devil's work! :D

waitasec

Veteran Member

i respectfully disagree, this planet is going through warfare constantly...maybe not in your own backyard but someone else's...

think of the gaza strip....for example.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
i respectfully disagree, this planet is going through warfare constantly...maybe not in your own backyard but someone else's...

The world as a whole though, not much war. Yes, there is war in various areas. But it's not the type of war that was present in some of the ancient cultures. We aren't having these continuous massive wars that destroy nations.

I'm not denying that we have wars now, but they aren't very widespread. Most people aren't all together effected, which may be a downfall, but it's true. The wars now, for many people seem distant. I know for me, living in America, the wars feel very isolated. Which, again, is probably a downfall, but I can't deny it. That wasn't the same when some of the most powerful nations in the world were at war with each other.

bhaktajan

This is what Jesus did:

<<as back-ground Drum roll is heard>>

He taught Rule #1 of Spiritual life ---BTW, he did it over & above & inaddition to all that has been written about him, by the very acts he preformed at the conclusion of his earthly pastimes, he taught to the regional people and to the known world at the time and then later to the entire world, that:

"We are not this body, we are Spirit-souls--- part and parcel of the supreme spirit God in heaven, and that to simply believe it, is to ipso facto accept him as the spiritual-master-guide [aka, Guru]"

99% of the population then and now are un-educated laborer types ---the demonstration enacted by Jesus Christ illustrates "We are not this body, we are Spirit-souls".

His death & resurrection accomplished many goals simultaneously:
Democratic self-autonomy.
"We are not this body, we are Spirit-souls" maxim.
The difference between the material world and the spiritual.
The Lords Prayer.
The futility of the mundane pursuit of pleasures.
The sacrifice of all acts for the sake of redemption.

<<Drum roll reaches crescendo>>
<<Brass band join in>>

<<. . . Cut to Commecial . . . >>

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's hard to say what effect any specific individual has had on the world. With the butterfly effect, any influential person creates a huge amount of changes, some for the positive and some for the negative.

Muffled

Jesus in me

The combatants are jews and Muslims not Christians.

If we examine the two conflicts that the US has been in, Iraq and Afghanistan, We find that it is Muslims who have first attacked Christians and not vice versa. We are simply defending ourselves from another "911."

The US as a quasi-christian nation has been at the forefront of seeking peace in Israel. The Jews say Shalom and the arabs say Salaam but for the most part a Christian already has peace in Jesus and those churches that practice passing the peace make me wonder.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I don't know about the world as a whole, but I can speak from personal experience. I spent most of my life as a Christian, and Jesus never did anything practical for me. Sure, I had no fear of death, and what I thought was a meaning for my life. But I was still extremely angry, I practiced sexual immorality, I was still addicted to alcohol. It wasn't until I became a Buddhist that I was able to change these things.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I don't know about the world as a whole, but I can speak from personal experience. I spent most of my life as a Christian, and Jesus never did anything practical for me. Sure, I had no fear of death, and what I thought was a meaning for my life. But I was still extremely angry, I practiced sexual immorality, I was still addicted to alcohol. It wasn't until I became a Buddhist that I was able to change these things.

I am glad that you got something to work for you.

The question is: Did you ask Jesus to be your Lord and Savior? Salvation doesn't occur by osmosis ie simply hanging around a church and other "christian" people. Did you specificlly ask Jesus to remove those undesirable practices?

If you have ever been to AA you would know that you had already taken the first step: you acknowledged that you had problems.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I am glad that you got something to work for you.

The question is: Did you ask Jesus to be your Lord and Savior? Salvation doesn't occur by osmosis ie simply hanging around a church and other "christian" people. Did you specificlly ask Jesus to remove those undesirable practices?

If you have ever been to AA you would know that you had already taken the first step: you acknowledged that you had problems.

I like how Christians assume that since Christianity didn't work for someone, then they didn't do it right, or they weren't Christians in the first place. I can give you details about my conversion experience, and the life I lived as a Christian. I can give you details about the prayers I prayed to help me change. I can give you details about everything I did as a Christian, in the spirit of Christianity. And none of it worked. With Buddhism, it was almost instantaneous. Well, for some of the bigger things. I still have work to go, but I now have the tools to do it. As far as AA goes, that's not a religious organization, at least not Christian, so it would be pointless to try to say that would be Jesus helping, when I could just as easily say it was Krishna, Mohammed, or any other religious figure.

BIG D

there are wars ALL the time...what about Vietnam/Cambodia 1970s when the Kmer Rouge murdered thousands?? the UN-ENDING Arab-Israeli conflict going on since1948??the Balkans in the 90s?..Rwanda 90s??genocide after genocide...YES,there is constant warfare, unending warfare somewhere all the time in the world...Sudan,N Ireland,SAfrica,former Congo,etc etc...besides, the GREATEST evil of all happened AFTER he came...no, someone doesn't have to conquer the world, there is constant conflict/murder/destruction/terror all over the world...do you not follow the news????almost EVERYDAY there is a bombing...Iraq war 1990 and 1993..Afganistan....OMG???''NOT LIVING IN CONSTANT WARFARE''???super wrong there...Mumbai,Pakistan, Chechnya, Iran v Iraq 1980s etc ..all wars, killing all the time!!!!! USSR v Afganistan...etc etc etc!!!!!

BIG D

good call ..see my post on this....OMG OMG----some of you are NOT--REPEAT NOT--familiar at all with history of warfare/conflicts.....

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The combatants are jews and Muslims not Christians.

If we examine the two conflicts that the US has been in, Iraq and Afghanistan, We find that it is Muslims who have first attacked Christians and not vice versa. We are simply defending ourselves from another "911."

The US as a quasi-christian nation has been at the forefront of seeking peace in Israel. The Jews say Shalom and the arabs say Salaam but for the most part a Christian already has peace in Jesus and those churches that practice passing the peace make me wonder.
That's incorrect. We attacked Iraq first. They did nothing to us. As for Afghanistan, they were terrorists. Labeling them Muslims does nothing to help, as it wasn't Islam that caused them to attack us.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
there are wars ALL the time...what about Vietnam/Cambodia 1970s when the Kmer Rouge murdered thousands?? the UN-ENDING Arab-Israeli conflict going on since1948??the Balkans in the 90s?..Rwanda 90s??genocide after genocide...YES,there is constant warfare, unending warfare somewhere all the time in the world...Sudan,N Ireland,SAfrica,former Congo,etc etc...besides, the GREATEST evil of all happened AFTER he came...no, someone doesn't have to conquer the world, there is constant conflict/murder/destruction/terror all over the world...do you not follow the news????almost EVERYDAY there is a bombing...Iraq war 1990 and 1993..Afganistan....OMG???''NOT LIVING IN CONSTANT WARFARE''???super wrong there...Mumbai,Pakistan, Chechnya, Iran v Iraq 1980s etc ..all wars, killing all the time!!!!! USSR v Afganistan...etc etc etc!!!!!
How can you determine the greatest evil?

If you can't see that there is a difference between now, and the distant past, then there really is no need to debate. The majority of what you're talking about effects only a very small percent of the world. Ancient wars were quite different.

And the majority of this has nothing to do with Jesus.

If you only focus on the bad, of course it's all going to look horrible. Maybe focusing on the good would show you something different. Such as the massive charity programs. Maybe a world community that tries to help stop various atrocities.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I don't think that any religion teaches open warfare. I think some people use certain texts or teachings that have been distorted to justify their bigotry and hate so they can go to war. Islam is no exception to this. I have read the Qur'an, and have found nothing in it that cannot also be found somewhere in the Bible. There are small groups who use certain ayats in order to justify their hatred of non-Muslims, and to attack them. The majority of the Muslim population are highly illiterate, and only know what they are taught. Most are not for war.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
good call ..see my post on this....OMG OMG----some of you are NOT--REPEAT NOT--familiar at all with history of warfare/conflicts.....
I'm very familiar with the history of warfare. As I explained in a different post though, warfare effects only a small portion of the entire population. Yes, there is some war, but most people aren't effected by it. That is quite different from ancient warfare.

In my lifetime, there has only been one attack that really effected me. That was 9/11. However, that fades away, and the effect dwindles. That may not be the best situation, but it happens. And that's true for the vast majority of people.