• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JESUS, God, the Ordinal First and Last

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
So, the 99% don’t define Judaism but a few 1%ers do?
Basically, yes. That's what the scholarly expert that was in the video said. And I agree. Judaism has always been a minority position. Not only that, but if there wasn't a distinction between canaanites and israelites at that time, then, applying any label to the religious practices of these people is erroneous. The best description of what was happening is a folk religion. It doesn't describe Judaism.

Folk religion - Wikipedia

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Weak assumptions. Every scholar I sourced said it's virtually 100% on Mesopotamian borrowing and Persian and Ashera are also stronhgly supported by my sources. This is a boldface lie. You are now resorting to dishonesty.
Nope. It's completely true.

The intertexuality is the weakest of the weak aguments. Two words are similar does not mean that one compied from the other. And Dr. Bowen empahtically proclaims, It's the differences, the differences show that they were borrowed. So so stupid.

Nick Grier, one of your sources on borrowing, got every single thing wrong.

The connection of Yahweh and Ashera and El to canaanite mythology requires guessing what the vowels are. And there is no Asherah in canaanite mythology. It's "atrt". See attached PDF. If you read it, and actually understand it, you'll see a detailed discussion of the issues associated with identifying Asherah. Yes, the person concludes that Asherah is "atrt", but there isn't much good reason for this. Also note: "a" is an assumption, no one knows what that character means in the proto-canaanite script.

In order to connect Asherah to the canaanites, they have to lump together 3 canaanite gods, one of which is actually probably egyptian. 2 have similar names, the third is completely different. 2 of them are fertility gods, one is a warrior god. The link between them is the "lioness" motif. But that's super common world-wide. ( see here )

So what's happening is, the differeces are ignored, if there's any possible similarity it's deemed a match. The only real common thread is they're all female goddesses. So, the differnt gods get lumped together, put into a blender, and since there's a similar named goddess in the Hebrew bible, that one gets lumped together with the others. Be careful reading the paper, early on the uthor switches from "atrt" to Ashera, and that makes the conclusion sound a lot stronger than it is.

Both sources provided are not fundementalists nor apologists.

And let's also note, remember the claim that the arrowheads have Asherah inscribed on them? Thats a LIE. It doesn't say that at all in any way. They say "servant of the lion lady". But, because an eqyptian fertility goddess named Qudush is pictured with lions, then magically, the lion lady is Asherah. Or, there's this other canaanite goddess named astarte, whom the source in the attached PDF asserts cannot be Asherah, she's also pictured with lions. So somehow, everyone thinks Asherah is the lion lady, but it's so so weak to assume that. And that's because it's very common worldwide for female deities to be associated with lions.

And, there's another problem with the lion lady moniker. Why were lions associated with female deities? It's a sign of independence. So, isn't the idea that Ashera was Yahweh's wife, and this comes from pictures of the supposed ashera sitting while Yahweh is standing, and the way the inscriptions are written that shows subservience? Ummmm, none of that fits with the lion motif. And that's what happens when all the differences are ignored, and some grand conclusion is made.

The conclusion doesn't make sense when the details are examined.

Attachments

• lesson02supp02.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
That's rich. I used that to get you to comment on a scholar out of his field. You are continually making a guess and putting the Israelites way beyond where they could possible be to have them not have to borrow stories from 2900 BCE. You have no sources for this, no field, nothing. It's pure fundamentalist crank. Yet you continue to pick at my sources as if that discredits what is most probable. Since I can only use PhD in the proper field your complete fantasy idea is been smashed into the dirt.
No, it's because everything you posted from Nick Grier is false. :rolleyes: And you don't know enough to even discuss those faults. All you can do is say "they're right because they say so". Yes, your credibility is a disaster. You simply don't have knowledge on the details. But ou know how to copy paste a conclusion. Good for you. Oh yeah, and you have a youtuber on speed-dial.

But somehow, you don't actually listen to what's in those videos. And you misquote them. Hmmmm...
Mesopotamian myths were sourced.
Claim. No real evidence provided other than, "They said so, so it must be true"
Ashera being his consort is highly probable and the evidence favors the answer being yes. Multiple lines of evidence, not just literary.
Not without making assumptions about the language and the canaanite connection. And you don't understand the language nor the papers that discuss this isssues.
Persian influence is put forth by Mary Boyce and hasn't been challenged. I have plenty more sources.
Well. Of course I challenged it. But, there's no such to challenge here, there's no shame in not remembering. Your posts from Mary Boyce focused on a cosmic saviour, which isn't in the Hebrew bible, thats in later commentary. You tied to bring one verse, Isaiah 53:5, and that's a fail if you read the actual story, the Israel is bearing the sins of the other nations who persecuted them. Suffering in silence, they're the righteous remanant. And if you actually read Isaiah, you'll see Israel is the servant, multiple times. The other thing Boyce focused on was God as the supreme god being added late in Isaiah, but that concepts exists in Genesis, Psalms, and the story fo the Exodus. So it's a fail all around.
I'm sure you have other sources, but, they'll probably start to repeat. It looks like you've already started repeating the videos posted. So, I can see where this is going.
So? I follow actual scholars. You think you have ground to make that complaint with your fantasy apologetics? Nope.
Yes, following the herd seems to be your standard operating procedure.
Ah, more gaslighting continue to deny scholarship or raise issues, produce your own un-sourced wild ideas and expect it's ok for you to enter that as an argument. THEN come back and complain when I have to continue to remind you what is a probable fact based on consensus scholarship.
That comment, you replied to is:
BTW, repeatedly proving theres a concensus is a strawman. I've never disagreed that the conclusions are popular.
How in the world do you read this, and think it's gaslighting? Yes, repeatedly proving there is a consensus is a strawman. No one is denying that a concensus exists. the question is, how did they come up with the conclusions? Did they examine the underlying assumptions, or are they riding on the backs of other weak assumptions? And so far, they're weak assumptions. When ever they are examined... Weak.
Why do I continue to post consensus? Because it's a strawman. OR....,.is it because you are playing dishonest games? Why yes, that is why.
I'm not the one who repeatedly misquotes the sources. That's all you.
But THEN, go ahead and use that fact against me.
Yes, please stop trying to prove something that isn't in dispute. It makes you look like a preacher on a pulpit who just wants to speak his "truth" at people regardless of the actual topic.
YEs I'm familiar with scholars talking about the consensus and what ideas are largely backed and what isn't. So great, lets make sure this was said:
Great, you know the popular opinion. But you don't seem to understand what goes into making those opinions.
Canaanites Were Israelites & There Was No Exodus

Prof. Joel Baden

1:20 DNA shows close relationship between Israelites and Canaanites. Israelites ARE Canaanites who moved to a different place.

6:10 Consensus. Biblical story of Exodus and people coming from Egypt and taking over through battle is not true. With slight variations on the story here and there basically everyone will tell you they gradually came from the coastlands into the highlands. Canaanites moved away to the highlands and slowly became a unified nation after first splitting into tribes.
A 30 minute video, and you quoted the first 6 minutes. Wow! That proves nothing but, sure demonstrates an idea. You really didn't watch the last Dr. Baden video did you? He says:

"There is no slavery in Egypt, there is no exodus at least not in the way it's described in the bible."

And then later he says:

"We have records of semetic peoples who were enslaved [ in egypt ] and left heading towards canaan".

He also says that during the Iran age collapse many poeople immigrated to the small settlemens which eventually because the Israelite nation.

So, they weren't all canaanites. That's per your expert scholar.
So the myths had to be sourced.
Could have come from the people who immigrated to the area. Yes, even a small group of egyptian slaves.
Now, if a scholar doesn't agree they may be a fundamentalist, yes. It depends. If you source answersinGenesis explaining the flood story was original and from God, with it's 2 sources neither peer-reviewed works but other apologists, then that will be a fundamentalist.
Well, good thing I didn't do that then, did I? Your accusations against me are false. I'm not dishonest. I'm just the only person with the patience and motivation to go through this stuff with you. :)
HA! Here we go again with the apologetics. You need EVIDENCE to back a claim. You don't just make things up based on making sure a religion is really true and not borrowed and directly from a God.
Dever has evidence that the majority were polytheistic. Canaanites were very polytheistic and that is where Israel came from.
As Dr. Baden says, people immigrated to the settlements that became the Israelite nation from many places during the iron age collapse. And there's evidence of a small group of semetic slaves leaving egpyt for canaan. So no, not all were canaanites.
Dever has evidence that the majority were polytheistic. Canaanites were very polytheistic and that is where Israel came from.
Judaism has always been a minority position. What the majority did is irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
We have scriptural evidence beliefs were polytheistic. Monotheism did come, after the Persian influence.
No, not really. The only evidence actually brought on polytheism in scripture is Psalms 82, which if translated polytheistically makes no sense when one gets to the last verse. At the beginning the gods are being condemned, and at the end the gods are told to rise? Of course you need to know Hebrew to understand that. And Deuteronomy 32 doesn't really actually point back to some canaanite myth. When it comes to the prohibition of "other gods", that's a practical matter. If the prohibtion were against idols, then a person could simply believe in other false gods without breaking the rules. So, the concept of "other gods" was outlawed which includes outlawing idols. They're still false gods. Calling them "other gods" doesn't encourage or acknowledge a belief in them by the author.
I sourced Professor Fransesca S. saying according to the Bible Yahweh focus was started during the Persian period. Not that a group existed who only worshipped Yahweh.
Im having trouble parsing this. regardless of what Francesca says, Dr. Baden says otherwise. Montheistic worship of Yahweh was the practice of the elites, and probably some said "yeah, Yahweh, just him".

And besides, Francesca lied and said the arrowheads had inscriptions of Ashera on it. So, she's dismissed because she's someone who changes the facts, and exaggerates evidence.
Uh, no the Bible is Henotheism. The people the Bible doesn't represent are the polytheists who worshiped multiple Gods.
Nope, common misconception. If the target audience is polytheistic, then it might use some polytheistic imagery at times. But, the actual text, if analysed in the original language, isn't henotheistic.
Wow, non-sequitur. I don't care. The Bible is syncretic, that is what I've been saying.
It's not a non-secuitur. You've been accusing me of imagining things, and making things up. And here it is, your own source agreeing with me.

And speaking of non-sequitur, the comment about syncretism is coming from where, exactly? Just another random claim, preaching your truth.

And Judaism isn't syncretic. You need to bring an original source and then show a later source that has adopted foriegn ideas. You only have 1 source, there are no 2 sources to compare. So you'll never be able to show foreign ideas entering or being adopted. All you can show are similarities and claim they are copied based on who wrote them first.

But, who wrote them first is irrelevant. Ancient myths begin as oral story-telling.
Man, I thought you were putting this to bed? This is a festival of diversion and who cares, wrong argument?
Ummm, YOU said you were putting this to bed. And then your own source proves me right again and again. So, the point is, I'm not imagining, nor making things up.

They weren't all canaanites, they weren't all polytheists. That's what Dr. Baden is saying. And we know this because I took the time to actually listen and actually quote what he says. Note: I didn't snip out the parts that I didn't like. That would be dishonest. Proof that you're wrong about me. ;)

Now, why didn't you quote him correctly or fully? That's the question.
So yes when the Bible was written, in 600BCE that wasn't the polytheism time. They had encountered Persia and were embracing those ideas which included monotheism.
No, that was when it was compiled. It was compiled over time, and 600 seems to be when that process concluded.

Now, listen to what you just said, 600 bce wasnt polytheism. But Dr. Baden just said people were doing whatever they want, and only the elites believed in the biblical religion. So, he is not describing 600bce. He's describing before that, before persia, during the time where polytheism was the norm.

Please refer back to the quote from Peter Enns, the bible was compiled over time from written sources, oral sources, or both.
No, sorry. These digs show a proto-Cananite language which identifies early Israel. Now if you were correct and they were Canaanite you forgot one big issue - Yahweh would have been borrowed from Canaan. These villiages are Israelites, just early versions.
No, they weren't all canaanites. That's what Dr. Baden said. A lot of them were, but, some immigrated from elsewhere, and perhaps a small group of slaves from Egypt.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
But the EVIDENCE, which matters shows monotheism comes from Persian theology. They had not yet been exposed to this. Making a guess based on what you want to be true is fundamentalism.
The Temple at Arad. Looks to be pre 1000BCE. The House of Yahweh. There's an inscription found there. No polytheistic anything has been found there. Dever ignores it when claiming the ancient Israelites were all polythiestic. Remember? I mentioned it before.
Tel Arad Temple - Madain Project (en)
HE didn't say that . He was a storm deity. Some may have believed he had a wife, some didn't. Even if I grant some monotheists, this demonstrates people were playing around with myths. No deity came and spoke and rode a chariot on a pillar of clouds. People had myths.
First of all, he made a joke about taking the bible literally when making the comment about the storm god. 2nd, thank you for considering granting that some people were monotheistic. That's the sort of flexibility and moderation that I'm asking for. 3rd, sorry, but you're the argument against God speaking to people is a STRAWMAN. I have not claimed any of that. I have not brought my personal beliefs into this debate. Not once. I'm just looking at the evidence to see if it makes sense.
The evidence shows some people did. That doesn't make them monotheistic? According to your no-evidence logic I can also say they believed El was Yahwehs father or Yahweh was part of a pantheon who gifted him Israel. We have early text that shows that was a belief.
Again, Temple at Arad shows a monotheistic belief. And, I doubt very highly that you have early text showing that. You might have a text about ?L? and ?Y?W?. But I doubt you'll be able to bring the actual text, just someone's attempt at reconstructing it and assuming the vowels. I ask again, is your name Julie? If not then the vowels matter. And BTW, there is no Asherah in those texts either.
Wow, confirmation bias is something.
Yup. You brought this video to "put this to bed" relating to "his Asherah", and guess what your own source says? The MIGHT be evidence of it. MIGHT. So, it's not a concensus among all experts, is it? Nope. You didn't watch this whole video before posting it, did you? You didn't expect me to actually listen and take notes, right? You really don't know me very well do you?

1)these are early Israelite sites
Dr. Baden says, the israelites were mixed to the point that you couldn't distinguish one from the other. So now you're making a claim which contradicts "your favorite" source.
2)the evidence here suggests some people held this belief. The written analysis shows it's extremely likely. Dever says the MAJORITY held these different beliefs. That is religion? No religion is in complete agreement with theology.
Dever makes conclusions about Asherah based on hairstyle, and ignores evidence that doesn't match his conclusions.

You don't have the knowledge to identify what is "extremely" likely about the inscriptions.

We are talking about theology. Not Practice. The claim is, there was no monotheism it was borrowed from the persians. Monotheism is a theology. Judaism is a theology. Remember how I defined it. Belief in a single creator god, who gives laws, and reveals itself to people to make its will known.

This isn't me making that up. That's the story of Abraham. That's what defines Judaism. If that's not the definition, then anyone can claim anything is Judaism, the labels don't matter anymore. Up could be down, black could be white, beep-boop language is meaningless. Without this definition, I could claim "of course there's evidence of Judaism, Judaism is making a sacrifice. Judaism is everywhere... wooppee."
It shows the emergence out of Canaan, shows polytheism, shows that it's a mythology.
Strawman, again, I have not disputed that it's myth. I have not disputed that polytheism existed. I know that true mission is to preach anti-god. But that's not this debate. Start your own thread about proving anti-god.
If it's a Canaanite then Yahweh is also part of the syncretism. Their religion had dozens of Gods and is completely different. Showing Yahweh did not contact a man and so on, it demonstrates it's all myth. The "one true God" was actually a syncretic borrowing from Canaan? That's even better.
And if it's not. :p If you go and look at the actual texts, their god was "?Y?W?" And whether or not it's a myth is not under dispute.

The point, which you conveinently dodged. Your source, in the video that was supposed to "put to bed" this whole consort business said, there MIGHT be evidence for it.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Wow, cherry picking season I guess.
Says the person who skipped 90% of the interview. :rolleyes:
What he said is "However, we should have guessed already that polytheism was the norm and not monotheism from the biblical denunciations of it. It was real and a threat as far as those who wrote the Bible were concerned. And today archeology has illuminated what we could call "folk religion" in an astonishing manner."

The NORM. You put all those words in his mouth.
Uh-huh. A folk religion. Not Judaism. It doesn't matter what was popular.

For you, maybe, following what's popular is the most important thing. And ignoring those outliers is what makes you feel good? I understand. That feeling of certainty, like "I've got this all figured out." or maybe there's a bit of elitism "I know more than those God beleivers." I can understand how that would make an atheist feel good.

But I didn't put a single word in his mouth. He said:

"It doesn't surprise me at all. Just as it doesn't surprise me that some people said no, just him [Yahweh] just his own thing. So that's the important thing."​

Then I said:

Your own source leaves open the possibility for a strict monotheist among the general population. And he says this is the important hing to keep in mind when considering Yahweh and a consort.
He says he wouldnt be surprised if people only believed in Yahweh, just as much as he's not surpirsed if people believed that Yahweh had a consort. And Joel.... AND. THAT'S THE IMPORTANT THING. And that's how he ended the discussion on Yahweh and His asherah.

So that video put it to bed, just like you claimed it would. There might be evidence, but ther might not. And it's equally likely that some people were strict Yahweh monotheists "just him". And that's the important thing.

It's a truly moderate position. I love it.
Sigh. Wrote Ashera? What? No you said "who wrote it first is irrelevant" regarding the Mesopotamian myths. Because you were entering an idea that the Israelites existed way before they did so you could avoid the consensus and obvious syncretism of Genesis.
The point is, Dr. Baden is saying that the best we can say is probably, but we don't have records for a lot of the conclusion made about ancient religious practices.

My comment wasn't about who wrote Asherah first. Although, it is interesting that Asherah doesn't actually exist in any other religion besides Judaism. And that's assuming that she's a deity not a concept.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The above has been dealt with. You have nothing. You seem to think if not all Israelites worshipped Ashera as Yahwehs wife that means something? It actually adds to my point. The Bible is syncretic. No God flew down and talked to people and performed all sorts of magic deeds. And a bunch of confused beliefs adds to that.
This shows what the Bible says is not true. A unified Israel, coming from Egypt, following a deity who speaks and has a body and a chariot.
This supports that even better.
Your point about no-God is a strawman. You're response doesn't address the issue.

The claim you made was about Yahweh being in a pantheon. And none of the examples brought demonstrate this. All that was brought was Psalms 82 ( the last line doesn't make sense if it's translated polytheistically ), and Deuteronomy 32 which doesnt show a pantheon , it just has 1 word in common ( in theory ) with a canaanite myth.
Original Yahweh - he is a storm God from the south

Bible says this.
So now we're supposed to take the bible literally. :rolleyes: Anyways, bring the verse(s) so we can discuss it.
Then there is all this stuff Israel borrowed from Canaanite religion

not sure about Canaan except Ashera
Um, nice vacuous claim. "all this stuff borrowed". But you don't actually know? And Asherah, have you even looked it up? Nope. cause if you did you'd see their god is "?T?R?T?", most people write it out "atrt", but none of the vowels are known. Even if we *assume* that it is "atrt", that's not Asherah. It's just a female fertility goddess.
Then there is stuff Israel borrowed from Egyptian religion and Mesopotamian religion in various ways.
I've more than shown this is extremely likely and is consensus opinion. I'll add more.
Yes, you beleive the popular opinion. We've got that. No you haven't shown stuff is borrowed. You tired and failed with the intertexuality. "One word is the similar, and all the differences prove it" was a delusional argument by Dr. Bowen. And Megan Lewis said there the stories are similar but diffrerent and there was no plagiarizing, not by the ancient Jews.

The direction of influence is still assumed, not proven, no evidence.
Echoes of Gilgamesh
Im pretty much done watching your videos. If they're short, I might watch them. But this one is too long. You need to be able to bring the evidence of borrowing. And you've failed to so to this point.
The Epic of Gilgamesh pre-dates the book of Genesis by thousands of years. In this early Toronto Centre Place lecture, John Hamer looks at the many ways themes from the ancient Sumerian epic are echoed in the later Biblical account.
"Predates the book..." Who wrote it first is irrelevant. This doesn't address the issue.
33:50 Gilamesh is one of the earliest works of literature, thematic, mortality, life’s meaning, very sophisticated. Made its way to all nations nearby.
Who wrote it first is irrelevant.
108:55 Both Noah flood stories (documentary hypothesis) match creation stories
Well, I already showed you they don't match. But here you are parroting someone else's idea. And it looks like you went through the whole video but there's nothing here that shows borrowing, just that one was written first.
The Flood Myth
I'm not watching any more videos. You'll need to find the evidence of borrowing, and point them out with a time stamp. I've spent plenty of time watching your videos. I agree the stories are similar, I'm not wasting my time, relearing about the similarities when it's likely that the differences are ignored.
Map of timeline. 1200 BCE Bronze Age Collapse, Israel formed around 1000BCE.

Epic of Gilamesh 2900 BCE, Sumerian and Mesopotamian empire.
When the nation of israel is formed is irrelevant. Both the Jewish story and the Epic of Gilgamesh could have come from an older tradition. Which means no copying, just similar stories.
No evidence that stories like Noaha Ark were transmitted by oral storytelling. No early prophets mention Noah. Noah was written later. Flood stories do not suggest there was any flood. They are telling philosophical stories.
That's a weak argument. Have you read the prophets? They don't do history. They do rebuke. This is like reading the book Dune, and saying that the beginning was conceived much later than the rest because Paul's life on Caladan isn't mentioned at the end of the book. This is the sort of silliness you'll see in the documentary hypothesis if you actually examine the reasons behind the conclusions.

And BTW, the flood is mentioned in Psalms 29. So, that refutes the argument. See, your sources don't actually know the Hebrew bible, do they? And neither do you.
Parts of the Bible Yahweh appears to be part of a pantheon, just as Canaanite Gods.
Nope. Not really. Just another claim, and you don't know enough to tell if it's true or false. But you believe it anyway. "It's true because they say it's true" - the weakest of the weak arguments.
The Real Origins of Ancient Israel
Let's see if you can come up with any actual evidence of borrowing...
Professor of Hebrew Bible and Early Judaism at the University of Hull, England
33:43 Genesis uses what we would call plagiarism from Mesopotamian literature.

Plagiarism as an idea was not around back then.
Nice claim, I wonder if you'll bring the reasons for that claim?
38:30 When it comes to the flood story Noah is “almost exact” to the older flood stories.
Well, we already showed that it isn't almost exact. It's amost exact, if one ignores all the differences. And if one mistranslates, of course. See, what I think a normal person would do, is once something has been disproven, any source that repeats the same false claim should be discarded. We know that the stories aren't almost exact. But you keep trusting sources that say the opposite. That's called garbage in >>> garbage out.
Hebrew story is probably a borrowing from Mesopotamia. The creation story was influenced by Mesopotamian creation myths.
Probaby? why probably? Influenced? What's the reasons to claim the direction of influence? Because the nation is new, so what, that doesn't mean their stories were new. Because the Bible is newer? So what, that doesn't mean the stories are newer.
Yahweh possibly borrowed from Egyptian text (Yahweh from south)
Or possibly not. So how that works. And why are we taking the bible literally? That's just plain silly. If it was a myth, then selectively choosing to accept a verse is faulty logic.
original text appears Yahweh was given Israel from the head deity El. Appears authors tried to remove these early beliefs from scripture but missed some references.
Hee. This is adorable. What "original text". Where does this text exist? And you've been proclaiming how new the bible is. And now here you are flip-flopping saying it's older.

And since there aren't real actual references to Yahweh being given israel by El, a person imagines that it was removed. This is what I'm talking about. Story-telling. What if Yahweh was given Israel by El... It's not in there, so someone removed it.

Oh, I know, I know. The Canaanite texts were originally pure montheism and it confirms the exodus story, but the text was changed and parts were removed and added to, and now all that remains is yahweh as a subordinate in a pantheon. :rolleyes:
Yahweh is also a “son” of El.
Nope. If you go and look at the text ?Y?W? is a son of ?LT?. I posted this early on, you ignored it.
Dr Baden describes why the Bible in full isn't actually "The Bible" but at 12:55 goes into the variant text that show Yahweh may have been a part of a pantheon.
OK. Did you actually listen to this? Do you know what it means, and how it shows a pantheon? Essentially, now there's 2 words in Deuteronomy 32 which matches a canaanite myth if they are tranlsated in a specific way. Just 2, and that's only if you go back to the dead sea scrolls. Two words matching is not strong evidence of anything.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Not a strawman, I'm demonstrating the Bible is syncretic mythology, this has been my stance all along.
But your post wasnt about syncretism, it was about it being a myth.
Are you talking about Harvard scholar Joel Baden? Oh that's rich, well that makes two of us because I'm also enjoying this handwaving. Especially after you actually think putting forth a fantasy senario, with zero evidence, in all seriousness, about Israelites living far before they possibly could have actually settled the main dispute. And now, you put forth lame attempts at discrediting Dr Baden? Heh, I knew this would be cake.
Please continue to call the historical consensus "far-fetched", it just makes this win so much easier and in writing. Desperation won't help you.
No, you're having trouble keeping up with the pace of the conversation. Maybe slow down and try to prove one thing at a time.

Dr. Bowen sounds delusional. The topic at that point in the posts as intertexualism. Remember, that was the video you were posting. First it was Dr. Bowen, then Megan Lewis. Dr. Bowen says "They are so different they must be borrowing". That's delusional. Megan Lewis said, there is no plagiarism, the stories are similar but also very different. She sounds more sane.

And no, I have never claimed anything about the Israelites. That's a misrepresentation. I know it's difficult for yu to keep track of these details, so I'll tell you again. The idea is, these stories may come from a common oral tradition. And that traditon could be from the first Jews. Those fist Jews may have ended up in mesopotamia, or maybe that's where they originated from, who knows?

But I'm not saying anything about the nation of Israel. I've never claimed anything about them except that they weren't all canaanites and that their popular practices don't define Judaism.
Make sure to bring up how some apologists don't like the documentary hypothesis as if that has anything to do with what we are talking about.
You brought up the documentary hypothesis.
So while Dr Baden is giving daily lectures on the Hebrew Bible at Yale Divinity you are on an internet forum calling him "far-fetched". LOL.
No, he's a sensible moderate, for the most part. The connection to canaanite religion is far-fetched. The claim of knowing any of this with absolute certainty is far fetched. Ignoring that oral story telling the source of these myths is also far fetched.
So were the Israelites around during early Homo Sapien times also? Maybe even with H. Heidelbergensis?
Strawman. I'm talking about Judaism which could easily predate the Israelites.
Because you have gone apologist fundamentalist I'm also throwing in other examples of scripture not likely being from a magic deity.
I could be wrong but someone who cannot accept some basic historical consensus that one myth used older myths as a source is probably coming from some sort of fundamentalist position. Calling a world class scholar (in your religion) delusional and far fetched = Satan has influenced your scholars.

The desperation to find something to critique is some other weird thing.
If you find it off topic, I don't care. Skip it. Or do that weird thing you did.
Hee-hee. I knew you couldn't do it. You said that "contradictions and doublets" were evidence of borrowing. You just copied that write out of one of the videos. But You don't even know what that means, and you can't explain why it's evidence of borrowing. Just more copy-paste without any real brain power put behind it.

I wonder if you'll be able to explain the other stuff you posted about Asherah? I wonder if you understand any of this stuff.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Don't care. Mis-use of a fallacy is a fallacy. This isn't a strawman, I'm not proving the idea is popular,. I'm demonstrating it's consensus which requires massive evidence. I don't need to provide every single detail. I just need to back up what I said with evidence. There are many ways to go, textbooks, papers, radiometric dating papers, it's all used. But I'm not pandering to delusion.
You likely know about scholars, consensus which is why I used an article from a non-PhD. I wanted that response to demonstrate you respect and understand academia. So this is all disingenuous nonsense.
I've proven my points. How you deal with it is your choice, it's your look.
You've proven you can knock down a strawman.

Massive evidence is false. You have maybe bits of evidence. Francesca said "bits" of evidence, "glimmers" a "distorted refraction." Dr. Baden said paraphrasing "we don't have clear evidence", "these things can be misinterpreted".
Right because so far I've demonstrated everything I've said is true. Borrowed myths. Ashera was Yahwehs wife and Persian influence. Evidence points to this.
Nope, anytime we examine the evidence, it's weak. No evidence of persian influence what so ever. Boyce was wrong, Grier was wrong. "Everything" points to it if you ignore everything that doesn't.
1)The paper I gave demonstrated the Yahweh and his Ashera is probable.
You didn't read nor understand the paper. How can you conclude it's probable?

Here's a little test. What is the required proniminal suffix and how does it translate to "his"?

If you understand that it's probable, you should be able to answer this. It's actually very simple, and only requires about 3-4 words. It's discussed in the paper a bit, but you'll have to work for it to find it. It's not explained clearly.
2I didn't say the figurines had inscriptions, I said there is an inscription. If I mis-spkoke who cares. The point is it's true that the evidence points to Yahweh and his Ashera has been demonstrated.
You did say it. You said it was a line of evidence. Then you directed me to arrowheads which supposedly have Asherah on them... but they don't. You were lied to. I'm sorry. I thought it was true too. Francesca let us both down. :eek::(:D

The evidence actually points both ways. There's reasons to believe it's his Ashera, and reasons to believe it's something else. I can see both sides of it, and yes, "his Ashera" requires at least 2 assumptions. One of them is that pronominal suffix. And the second one is turning that suffix into "his". Now I've just given you a huge hint on the little test I gave you.
3)Noahs flood story contains 2 flood stories merged into one. I wasn't wrong
See? You are bringing the documentary hypothesis. They aren't two stories without it. How much do you actually know about the documentary hypothesis?
And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.
And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth.
And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

what I said was this -
"Noah - And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth."
Gilamesh - ‘For six days and six nights the winds blew, torrent and tempest and flood overwhelmed the world, tempest and flood raged together like warring hosts. When the seventh day dawned the storm from the south subsided, the sea grew calm, the flood was stilled;
Nope, thats not wht you said. You said they were the same because the flood ended after 7 days in both. And you left out the forty-days forty nights part.

You're not understanding the story. In Noah's flood, it took seven days for the flood to start, the rains continued for forty days and forty nights. That's what the story says. Not that it's literally true, but, it would take a while to get the flood going. 7 days makes sense ( if that's an accurate word ) for the rain to start to flood the whole earth.
Messianism in Isaiah? End times, messianic concepts, all Persian, in Isaiah.
MESSIANISM IN THE BOOK OF ISAIAH on JSTOR
Me thinks you didn't read this... it has zero evidence of your claim, and actually proves my point, God is the savior. It's only three pages, and that's at the top of page three. You're just throwing spaghetti at the wall. No analysis what so ever.:rolleyes:
ISAIAH’S BENEVOLENT CREATOR AS THE EARLIEST PERSIAN ‘INFLUENCE’ ON JUDAISM

This post is a summary of the recently published article, Jason M. Silverman, “Achaemenid Creation and Second Isaiah” Journal of Persianate Studies
Isaiah’s Benevolent Creator as the earliest Persian ‘Influence’ on Judaism | Changes in Sacred Texts and Traditions
Umm, did you read this? Do you understand what it's saying? I already refuted this. You're repeating the same failed arguments.

God as the ultimate creator is in multiple places, Psalms 95 and the entire Exodus story with the plagues. And it's in Deuteronomy too. It's not just in those few chapters in Isaiah. Also, this ignores the differences. Did you know that "king of kings" is a title for the other nations? Not applied to Yahweh in the Hebrew bible?
You didn't read any of these did you?

Screenshot_20230124_162259.jpg

*HARDLY SUFFICE* Joel.

Judaean Elite Encounters with the Fledgling Persian Empire: The Evidence of Second Isaiah and First Zechariah
Judaean Elite Encounters with the Fledgling Persian Empire: The Evidence of Second Isaiah and First Zechariah | Bible Interp

By Jason M. Silverman

Docent in Old Testament Studies

University of Helsinki
You probably didn't read this nor understand it either. Here's a little test. The author says:

"First Zechariah is the local version of an official report on temple re-foundation. This is supported by a close look at the phenomenology of visions and at the Persian interaction with Near Eastern temples.

Can you in your own words explain this phenomenology and how it supports Zecharia as persian influenced? o_O
God vs Devil is in Christianity, I asked you last post about it in the OT. So add di** moves to the list of poor accomplishments you have.
God vs. Devil does not exist in the Hebrew bible. You made the claim, you have to bring evidence for it. If you think it's in there, you have to find it. I can't bring evidence for something that doesn't exist.
What the paper says is the evidence is strong enough to conclude it MOST LIKELY says Yahweh and his Ashera.
The author is an amatuer researcher with zero credentials, not even a bachelors degree. You wouldn't know if this is true or not. You don't know enough to read and understand what's being said.

What's the required pronominal suffix? How does it get translated to "his"?

If you can't answer that, any one can claim it's "most likely" and you would never be able to identify if it was bogus.
Conclusion

Through examining the various proposals that have been made for elucidating ʾšrth from KA and KQom we have been able to establish that it most likely has reference to a common noun denoting YHWH’s female partner: “his asherah.” This understanding of the phrase not only does no violence to the evidence that inscriptional asherah is a female deity paired with YHWH, but it also harmonizes best with the lexical-syntactic evidence that asherah is declined with a pronominal suffix with YHWH as the antecedent."
Uh-huh... :rolleyes: Whats the "lexical-syntactic" evidence he's talking about?
That isn't "assumed" that is the conclusion of weighing all of the evidence, 200 sources in the source list. You are just telling lie after lie.
Nope. It's not a lie that you can't comprehend what this paper is saying. It absolutely is based on assumptions. At least two. And that's the simplest way to get to "his". The others require much much more than that.

What is the required pronominal suffix, and how does it get translated to "his"? It requires an assumption in addition to the assumed suffix.

You really should look at the inscription itself. Have you done that?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Syncretism is consensus, proved.
Translation: "I follow the herd, but can't defend the position myself."
Yahweh and his Ashera, most likely
Maybe, maybe not. It's more of a 50/50 toss-up. But you don't have the knowledge to understand that. So, yeah, just keep on mooooooooooven with the herd.
all according to current scholarship.
Your blind faith is noted.
My position had been demonstrated.
Your position is regurgitation.
Your position of weaseling out of being dead wrong has been demonstrated.
Nope. I've demonstrated pretty clearly you don't have the knowledge to identify the weak points in your sources claims. There has been no evidence of anything you've claimed about syncretism, borrowing, original sources for the mythology, a canaanite connection. None of it. It's all just copy-paste. Look at those last three links you brought from Isaiah. It's pretty obvious you didn't even read them.
The scholars who commented on the Mesopotamian syncretism were absolutely sure.
The ashera paper ruled it most likely.
My points are demonstrated.
My points were demonstrated in my first post.
No, they weren't true. You haven't been able to refute my objections. Just copying more people to show a popular opinion. But you can't seem to bring any evidence that makes any sense.

Remember, one of your sources claimd that the flood wasn;t mentioned in the later prophets. As if that's evidence of anything. But besides that, it's not true Psalms 29. Your own source doesn't know the Hebrew bible, and you don't know it enough to identify a bogus claim on a youtube video.

It was written first by Mesopotamian nations on cuniform. Thousands of years earlier.
Who wrote it first is irrelevant. Ancient myths begin as oral story telling.
You say, no Ashera the Hebrew was wrong. Paper demonstrates you are wrong.
You say no syncretism. Consensus says you are wrong.

Your denial of basic concepts in scholarship are fundamentalist type arguments using denial, and every tactic you can think of to not be wrong.
This tap dance will not help you.
Nope, I didn't say that. I said it was based on assumptions from the very beginning. I said, "How can they say that without vowels?" You said, "You're making that up". But I'm right. All the papers you've brought confirm it. But you don't understand the topic.

Yes, it's popular to claim syncretism. Popular doesn't mean it's true. You just claim it, no evidence has been provided. Just a popluar claim.
Obviously we don't know. What we do know is Genesis is using older myths. Not disputed in historical scholarship that Noah is a re-working of a Mesopotamian story and Genesis was influenced by older myths.
Bingo. You don't know if the exiles were influenced by this festival or not. "re-working" is false. It could be verbatim of an older myth. Without that original myth, "reworking" is a guess. Genesis has similarities, but showing it was influenced hasn't been shown. No evidence, just a claim. "It's true because they say it's true". But when we examine the reasons, they're all weak.

Remember what Dr Baden said.
Then there is stuff Israel borrowed from Egyptian religion and Mesopotamian religion in various ways.
You are desperately cherry picking, suddenly Dr Baden makes sense when he says something you want to believe. You have no interest in what is actually true, just what you want to be true.
Nope, I looked at the examples he brought, and they don't make sense. Have you looked at them?
What matters is Genesis was influenced so somehow they saw the stories.
Garbage in >>> garbage out
There is no evidence of influence. Just similar stories with a common source. That source could have been a Jewish tradition in mesopotamia.
There is no evidence of monotheism before the Persian period. You are changing information in your mind to somehow fix theological problems you are having. You seem to have an agenda that is a fundamentalist agenda. Somehow make a religion true and find ways around obvious problems.
Temple Tel Arad: Tel Arad Temple - Madain Project (en)
What the source said was:
"The portrait of Israelite religion in the Hebrew Bible is the ideal, the ideal in the minds of those few who wrote the Bible—the elites, the Yahwists, the monotheists. "
Look at that, monotheists!
Who WROTE THE BIBLE. The Bible was written down as Professor F.S. says, during the Persian Period. Monotheism came then because it's a syncretic myth.
Well, first of all, she exaggerated the evidence of Asherah on those arrowheads. So, it's not like she can be trusted to be extremely accurate. But what she actually said in the video you posted was that the bible was compiled and put onto scrolls during the persian period. She sais perhaps they were reworked at that time. Understand. Reworked means that there was a Torah before. It can't be reworked if it was "written" at that time.
How the early Israelites saw the older myths, we don't know. But they did.
Sure, they either had their own stories, or the stories immigrated there during the irn age collapse. Or the small group of egyptian slaves brought them.
We know who made it up first. Israel didn't exist as a nation before 1000-800BCE. Your attempts to discredit scholarship (meanwhile you quote from it when it helps AND point out when a source isn't the highest level, all inconsistent and dishonest tactics).
When people lie to us, Joel. Like saying that Asherah is inscribed somewhere and it isn't. That's a reason to mistrust. The only thing I'm discreditting is the reliance on a popular opinion without examining the underlying assumptions. And for you, I'm discreditting you from being able to tell anything about the demetic languages or the Hebrew bible, because evidentally you don't have the knowledge.
I made statements you challenged. I demonstrated they are either consensus or very likely.
Cheaply attacking sources as "strawmen" as if you haven't used sources and as if the consensus was in your favor you would not use it?
It's a strawman to prove you have a consensus. I'm not disputing that you have a popular strongly held belief. It's a strawman to argue that the bible isn't true. We're talking about myths. It's a strawman to argue that God isn't real. That isn't even remotely topical to this debate.
Please stop this shallow and waste of time diversion.
You first. Shallow is precisely your approach to all of this. You don't even read or understand the stuff you post as evidence.
When I say something, I'll back it up with scholarship. Trying to go "but you didn't say how they know...." as if it's going to turn out they made it all up and scholarship consensus is a big joke and pretend is just dishonest.
You just look desperate.
I gave you information on the consensus of the origin of Israel. They were not around to also have oral stories. They were Canaanites with different myths or not even, still in Egypt possibly. We understand how Israel came about.
Yes, it's very important to understand how and why these concensus opinions are made. You really don't understand scholarship do you? It's cumulative. It's perfectly normal for someone to take someone else's conslusions and build on them. Scholarship doesn't start over with each research project. The underlying conclusions get reused by many people, and then everyone has a common belief. It's not like this popularity ensures that the belief is true. It's just popular. The foundation could be weak. And thats what's happening with this canaanite connection. Assumptions compounded. And inorder to really see the picture accurately, one has to go way back and examine those underlying assumptions.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
First, don't care. Do. Not. Care. I don't need people attacking me because they are butthurt about losing. You are just repeating yourself over and over at this
Well, it seems like you need the repetition because you keep bringing claims without evidence. I'm not losing this debate at all. The only thing you;re winning is the strawman contest.
Which is why your assertion that Israelites were around far before possible is so ridiculous. You even claimed it was settled because of your fantasy claim. You didn't even have consensus anything, just a made-up claim. And from that you said it was done.
You just can't stop misquoting. I said Jewish oral tradition, not Israelites.
BUT, I use scholarship and you raise all these points. Total gaslighting. Dishonest and immoral. To that degree.
You abuse scholarship.
Now, historical information is never as absolute as scientific proof, who doesn't know that? But we have good evidence to find these things very likely.
Except when they're wrong. Outliers exist.
It's cool, I just win more. And I don't care. What is definitely not absolutely true are myths in religion. Talking Gods and such. I suspect you believe myths are absolutely true while I produce evidence and you lecture me on history not being absolutely true.
You're false suspicion is noted.
So you have a lot of issues all in one post.
Bah-bye. I'll remember these arguments so I can refute them next time you decide to setup your virtual pulpit.
Also as if you are the president of the forum and have a daily meeting about who reads what. HA.
All you have to do, is post the evidence in your own words if you actually understand them.
Hey just wondering if nobody reads my posts why are my ratings higher than yours?
I don't know. But nobody's rating your posts in this thread.
History is about looking at evidence and finding what is probable. Of which you have ZERO.
You're just ignoring it. Totally understandable.
Yes which did not have the far more advanced arguments on literary and other aspects of the debate, and concluded it was LIKELY. Yahweh and his Ashera.
You don't have the knowledge to make that assessment.
1) In the context of the inscriptions ʾšrth is invoked parallel with YHWH as an independent object of blessing. The parallelism is marked syntactically by the l- attached to both YHWH and ʾšrth and by the coordinating w- that separates them.[9] Regardless of the presence of a possible suffix on ʾšrt, the syntax of the blessing implies that YHWH and ʾšrth are corresponding divine entities (Dever 1984: 30; Müller 1992: 28; Frevel 1995: 20-21; Köckert 1998: 165; Miller 2000: 36; Zevit 2001: 404; Irsigler 2011: 142; Mandell 2012: 140).
Do you know what this ^^ means? What does the l- attached mean? what does the w- attached mean? This has nothing to do with "his" Asherah.
Noaha flood is consensus opinion taken from Gilamesh. Literary analysis, intertexuality, and other methods.
A popular opinion, but there are those who both come from a common tradition.
Denver is backed up by Fransesca AND THE PAPER with 200 references which concluded:

Conclusion

Through examining the various proposals that have been made for elucidating ʾšrth from KA and KQom we have been able to establish that it most likely has reference to a common noun denoting YHWH’s female partner: “his asherah.” This understanding of the phrase not only does no violence to the evidence that inscriptional asherah is a female deity paired with YHWH, but it also harmonizes best with the lexical-syntactic evidence that asherah is declined with a pronominal suffix with YHWH as the antecedent.
but you haven't read the paper, nor understood it.
…we can begin by pointing out that the argument in favor of interpreting ʾšrth as a deity is in fact functional in nature and has fairly little to do with the lexical-semantic value of the term asherah as used in other NWS texts. The argument combines a number of factors both internal and external to the inscriptions, which can be listed in the order of their importance:

A New Analysis of YHWH’s asherah
Uh-huh, How is "srth" functional in nature? What is he talking about here? How does it relate to "his Asherah" compared to just "Asherah"?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
OMG, why are you still repeating tired old debunked posts????????????
Well, for one, you keep misrepresenting my position[/quote]
SERIOUSLY??????? YES ORAL STORIES FROM 1000BCE - 7/800 BCE that is it. They were NOT ISRAELITES BEFORE THEN. They were Canaanites. These stories developed when the tribes began settling and unifying. in 8/7 BCE. Not in Mesopotamia or in 3500 BCE???????
[/quote]You haven't brought any valid evidence discussing an oral tradition from anywhere. the only thing was "there wasn't an oral tradition beause the prohets didn't talk about it". That's just plain silly. The prophets rebuked, they didn't retell stories. Lot's of stories are like that, I gave the example of Dune. Caladan isn't mentioned in the middle of the book either. What does that mean? Nothing.
Now also there isn't much evidence of oral storytelling. It was heard in Babylon and then written down.
Actually, there is some very weak evidence. You wouldn't know it existed, but, there is a lineage, an unbroken chain of tradition that is documented for Jewish oral tradition. Hear me. I acknowledge it's weak. But, it's a lot more than people give us credit for.

The Flood Myth

Map of timeline. 1200 BCE Bronze Age Collapse, Israel formed around 1000BCE.
Israel's formation is irrelevant.
Epic of Gilamesh 2900 BCE, Sumerian and Mesopotamian empire.
when it's written is irelevant.
36:55
No evidence that stories like Noaha Ark were transmitted by oral storytelling. No early prophets mention Noah. Noah was written later. Flood stories do not suggest there was any flood. They are telling philosophical stories.
Oh, the same old argument regurgitated. There is evidence, but weak evidence.
When it was written is irrelevant.
The fact that the prophets didn't mention it is a stupid claim. And BTW it was mentioned in Psalms 29.
Whether or not there was an actual flood is irelevant.
Israel Origins
Dr Joel Baden (author of The Composition of the Pentateuch) Harvard PhD

No slavery in Egypt, no Exodus,
He said in the other video ( or maybe you are reposting the same one, i have no idea ) that there is evidence of slavery and an exodus just not the way it's describd in the bible.
in 1300 BCE most “Israelites” lived on coastlines and major cities and were Canaanites. In 12000 all eastern Mediterranean civilization failed (crop failure, late Bronze Age collapse, happens in all nearby regions) as well as arrival of Philistines. Cities were not safe or sustainable. Eastern migration happens. Archaeologically it’s known many towns arise suddenly in mountain regions.
And he also said that during the iron age collapse people immigrated to these settlements.
A fictive kinship is created tracing these people back to Judaism. Pressure from Philistines cause military alliances and brings a new sense of identity.
That's a theory. Remember, he's telling you a story. Those were his exact words. The settlements could have been family groups. Not exclusively but, there could have been tribes previously. Nothing is preventing it.
Yahweh likely comes from southern myths (Bible actually says Yahweh is from south).
Wow, you've taken the copy paste to a whole new level. Why are you taking the bible story as literal? That's silly. Dr. Baden makes a joke about this.
Not known exactly when Yahweh began to be worshipped.
OK, this is defintley a spam post. Yes, no one knows. Take note of what that means. Could be beforw persia.
All of Israel was never in Egypt. Some individual people may have come from Egypt.
So why, WHY, do you keep insisting that the israelites were all canaanites. Listen to yourself, Joel. Listen to your experts.
These people organized into one nation unlike Philistines who were individual city-states. Bible actually says this is why they came together.

External pressure to unite, defense, economic, similar to U.S.

This is not at all what the Bible says but is the consensus opinion based on all available archaeological, literary and comparative data.
Strawman! It doesn't matter if the story is true.
Yeah sure except we are not scholarship. They already know (because evidence) the version used was Gilamesh. They were in Babylon, the stories are very similar, some scholars say basically identical. You are making nonsense points I've already dealt with. Is wasting my time now your goal?
No my goal is to learn all your arguments so I can refute them the next time. :p
The Real Origins of Ancient Israel
Lester L. Grabbe
Professor of Hebrew Bible and Early Judaism at the University of Hull, England

38:30 When it comes to the flood story Noah is “almost exact” to the older flood stories.
almost exact, except when it's not.
Hebrew story is probably a borrowing from Mesopotamia. The creation story was influenced by Mesopotamian creation myths.
Look at that, it's not copied from Epic of Gilgamesh. Could be that Jewish people were in mesopotamia. It's a region not a culture.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I would argue that they definitely believed that these stories would keep them elites.
That's true possibly, maybe for the early books, right? But then the prophets rebuke everyone, including the elites. Examples Ezekiel 22:26-28, Isaiah 28.

And all throughout the stories from beginning to end, the Jewish protagonists are flawed. Adam and eve ate the apple. Abel was show off. Noah didn't try to save the world. Abraham kinda sorta half lied. Isaac, well, Isaac didn't really do much. Jacob deceived. Levi and Simeon ( I think ) killed the whole tribe over Dinah. Judah spilled... Joseph bragged about his dreams, All the brothers, except Reuben wanted to kill him. Moses had anger issues, Joshua neglected daily prayers ( I think that's the story ). King David had issues, King Solomon had issues.

To me, this isn't a story about the perfect elites who should be given cart-blanche. If that was the purpose, wouldn't the the elite be portrayed as perfect?

Kelly of the Phoenix

Basically, yes. That's what the scholarly expert that was in the video said. And I agree. Judaism has always been a minority position. Not only that, but if there wasn't a distinction between canaanites and israelites at that time, then, applying any label to the religious practices of these people is erroneous. The best description of what was happening is a folk religion. It doesn't describe Judaism.

Folk religion - Wikipedia
Just seems like unnecessary gatekeeping. That’s like saying only Catholics are Christians. The problem is that Judaism wasn’t Judaism until late in their history. What you call folk religion was the standard for centuries.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Isn’t it because a variant of Her name is Astarte?
It's missing, the "s". But, I agree, that would be the closest match based on the name. But Astarte doesn't match Asherah in function. Astarte wasn't a fertility goddess. As far as I know she was a warrior. She wasn't the consort of the head canaanite god.

The paper I brought insists, that Asherah is not Astarte. That's at the beginning.

Screenshot_20230125_205855.jpg

Like I said, the author also insists that Ashera is canaanite, but I can't figure out why. It seems like they lump together any feminine goddess, and then assume, Asherah must be the same as all these others. One of them is egyptian with a very different name. Whom they also equate with Astarte. And the canaanites borrowed this egyptian goddess, it's very bizzare.

Now, let me show you this:

220px-פענוח_כתובת_הפיטס (1).jpg

That's one of the inscriptions that supposedly says "YHVH and his asherah". And I admit, it could say that. But it takes quite a few hops to get there. However, literally, if you look at the last word that's supposed to be Asherah. It's aleph, shin, reish, tav. That's A-S-R-T. That's pretty close to Astarte. Also note, there is no extra letter at the end, that extra letter is the "required pronomial suffix" I was talking about. If it actually is "his Asherah", there's a good reason for the name to end in a "T", but there's still a letter missing. And this ignores that proper names don't get pronominal suffixes, which is why the extra huge paper that Joel brought spends so much time at the beginning trying to prove it's a proper name, and not some other word derived from the "rt" root or "sr" root. "sr" makes sense, because a "Sar" is a guardian. Anyway.

Part of the conclusion that it's "his" Ashera is this extra biblical narrative about Yahweh seizing power and taking the the head canaanite's wife for himself. That's the regional context that gets talked about in these papers justifying that the inscription is Asherah. But if this isn't the canaanite's wife that undermines the reason for taking the assumption-hops to get there.

If one looks at the arrowheads, the inscriptions say, "servant of the lion lady". The other source I linked to in that post you replied to, has Astarte or this Egyptian goddess as the lion lady. Not Asherah. But somehow, everyone is assuming that these inscriptions say Asherah, but I can't figure out why.

Note: the wikipedia article on Astarte confirms much of this. Not a fertility goddess, not Asherah, and is associated with lions.

"The biblical Ashtoreth should not be confused with the goddess Asherah, the form of the names being quite distinct, and both appearing quite distinctly in the First Book of Kings."

Astarte - Wikipedia

It seems like, people want it to be Asherah because that's more damning of the Hebrew bible. It makes it look like the Hebrew bible was always polytheistic, and the Hebrew God had a wife, and there was this big change, etc. You know the trope.

But if Astarte is the better fit, then there isn't as much scandal. It's less likely to be "his" Astarte. And the inscriptions just show a sharing of Gods, could be in either direction.

But everyone has blended the goddesses together, the inscriptions are Asherah, the arrowheads are Asherah, the figurines are Asherah. And repeated again and again. But, the arrowheads aren't, and the figurines are a mystery, and even the inscriptions might not be Asherah.

Last edited:

joelr

Nope. It's completely true.

The intertexuality is the weakest of the weak aguments. Two words are similar does not mean that one compied from the other. And Dr. Bowen empahtically proclaims, It's the differences, the differences show that they were borrowed. So so stupid.

Nick Grier, one of your sources on borrowing, got every single thing wrong.

You have complained about Meagan because she only has a Masters. You complained about a philosophy scholar as well. So now you have to stick to the standards you set. First the consensus is that Genesis is Mesopotamian. Intertexuallity is a complex subject which you are not qualified to comment on. You are also not qualified to comment on the consensus of OT historians. Your denial is of no interest to to me.
But let's get more sources. My point has been demonstrated, this just adds to it.
This video is 2 PhDs debunking a video an amateur made on the comparisons between Genesis and Mesopotamian myths. But quotes from several textbooks are included and written out to continue to illuminate the consensus. But it isn't needed. Every PhD I have provided had made it clear. You denying this is no different than if you sourced another random internet poster saying "no this isn't good enough" and thinking it is saying anything. It isn't. Get a PhD in the subject and write a paper and we can count it as 1 in your favor.

Was Genesis "Stolen" from Pagan - 2 PhD in the subject

5:30 - 2 stories from Gilamesh widely considered by scholars to have variously influenced Genesis
6:19 - obvious literary parallels
7:29 - wouldn’t a simpler explanation be that there were just a few similarities? No and this is a ridiculous caricature of consensus scholarly views about Genesis.
9:25 - techniques for understanding borrowing (not with point by point precision), scholars study clever and more subtle use of language. Must recognize how authors intently and unintentionally crafted narratives.

QUOTES from Textbooks

16:00 John Collins, Introduction to the Hebrew Bible 3rd ed.

“Biblical creation stories draw motifs from Mesopotamia, Much of the language and imagery of the Bible was culture specific and deeply embedded in the traditions of the Near East.

16:28 2nd ed. The Old Testament, Davies and Rogerson

“We know from the history of the composition of Gilamesh that ancient writers did adapt and re-use older stories……

It is safer to content ourselves with comparing the motifs and themes of Genesis with those of other ancient Near East texts.

In this way we acknowledge our belief that the biblical writers adapted existing stories, while we confess our ignorance about the form and content of the actual stories that the Biblical writers used.”

17:24 - The Old Testament, A Historical and Literary Introduction to the Hebrew Scriptures, M. Coogan

“Genesis employs and alludes to mythical concepts and phrasing, but at the same time it also adapts transforms and rejected them”

17:55 God in Translation, Smith

“…the Bibles authors fashioned whatever they may have inherited of the Mesopotamian literary tradition on their own terms”

18:19 THE OT Text and Content, Matthews, Moyer

“….a great deal of material contained in the primeval epics in Genesis is borrowed and adapted from the ancient cultures of that region.”

19:30 Subtle Citation, Allusion, and Translation in the Hebrew Bible, Zevit

Methods for identifying intersexuality and understanding borrowing

25:27

The Formation of Genesis 1-11, Carr

“The previous discussion has made clear how this story in Genesis represents a complex juxtaposition of multiple traditions often found separately in the Mesopotamian literary world….”

1:00 The Priestly Vision of Genesis, Smith

“….storm God and cosmic enemies passed into Israelite tradition. The biblical God is not only generally similar to Baal as a storm god, but God inherited the names of Baal’s cosmic enemies, with names such as Leviathan, Sea, Death and Tanninim.”

19:55 examples of intertexuality

30:15 specific criteria that can be used to form a methodology for identifying intertexuality (availability, volume, shared language, )

39:24 Isaiah 27:1 and Baal Cycle Tablet V comparison

Is Genesis 1–11 Reliable?

Dr Kipp Davis

22:32

Genesis 1 IS a contemporary version of an Enamu Elish story

joelr

No, it's because everything you posted from Nick Grier is false. :rolleyes: And you don't know enough to even discuss those faults. All you can do is say "they're right because they say so". Yes, your credibility is a disaster. You simply don't have knowledge on the details. But ou know how to copy paste a conclusion. Good for you. Oh yeah, and you have a youtuber on speed-dial.

HEh, well this basically says I win. First, could you tell me what was false from Nick Grier? Then tell me what I posted from Nick Grier? Then tell me who he is?
So, my cred is demonstrating the consensus using several excellent and highly respected scholars, so that is false.
The absolute red herring of attacking the fact that I relay this information by text and one youtuber spends his money on hiring the highest level scholars so laymen can have access to the consensus opinions of actual scholars, but you think that's a point to attack, is wonderful. Cool, so you have nothing of substance to say.

But somehow, you don't actually listen to what's in those videos. And you misquote them. Hmmmm...

and yet no example....hmmmmmmmm

Claim. No real evidence provided other than, "They said so, so it must be true"

As I stated all along, it's consensus opinion. If you need further study the last video I sourced shows a good resource for understanding Intertextuality.
They go over some methods and examples. They also assure us a layman cannot hand wave this process away, like you are attempting to do.

It's funny how much you respect scholarship, even commenting on 2 sources who were only a Masters and another just a scholar in another field, saying they were not qualified to be sources. Yet suddenly when the actual scholars are telling you what the consensus is, then it's a big diversion and goalpost moving. "Oh. you can't show it's true"......As if the consensus in a field isn't evidence. As if they all had a meeting and decided their position by flipping a coin. Not years and years of looking at papers and making detained arguments.
Anyway, yeah, you got nothing. This is pure fundamentalist tactics. I knew this would happen.

Not without making assumptions about the language and the canaanite connection. And you don't understand the language nor the papers that discuss this isssues.

No the Ashera thing based on evidence is almost certain. It might now be Ashera but some famale deity was worshipped in Israel. I'll get to that.

Well. Of course I challenged it. But, there's no such to challenge here, there's no shame in not remembering. Your posts from Mary Boyce focused on a cosmic saviour, which isn't in the Hebrew bible, thats in later commentary. You tied to bring one verse, Isaiah 53:5, and that's a fail if you read the actual story, the Israel is bearing the sins of the other nations who persecuted them. Suffering in silence, they're the righteous remanant. And if you actually read Isaiah, you'll see Israel is the servant, multiple times. The other thing Boyce focused on was God as the supreme god being added late in Isaiah, but that concepts exists in Genesis, Psalms, and the story fo the Exodus. So it's a fail all around.
I'm sure you have other sources, but, they'll probably start to repeat. It looks like you've already started repeating the videos posted. So, I can see where this is going.
First, like Meagan, you are not an expert, remember? I know, what works for me doesn't count for you, you don't apply to the standards you set yourself. This is how a dishonest debater acts.
End times, messianic concepts, final resurrection those show up and are Persian.

Canaanites Were Israelites & There Was No Exodus

Prof. Joel Baden

1:20 DNA shows close relationship between Israelites and Canaanites. Israelites ARE Canaanites who moved to a different place.
6:10 Consensus. Biblical story of Exodus and people coming from Egypt and taking over through battle is not true. With slight variations here and there basically everyone will tell you they gradually came from the coastlands into the highlands. Canaanites moved away to the highlands and slowly became a unified nation after first splitting into tribes.
No Israelites until after 1000 BCE.

18:18 Isaiah 1 is 8th century. Ch 40 is suddenly different. Cyrus shows up, enter end times, Persian influence. Messianic concepts.

The only reason one would not see this is if committed to the idea that it’s not written in separate parts.

More evidence on Persian influence
Book of Isaiah - Wikipedia

The book can be read as an extended meditation on the destiny of Jerusalem into and after the Exile.[9] The Deutero-Isaian part of the book describes how God will make Jerusalem the centre of his worldwide rule through a royal saviour (a messiah) who will destroy the oppressor (Babylon); this messiah is the Persian king Cyrus the Great, who is merely the agent who brings about Yahweh's kingship.

Isaiah 44:6 contains the first clear statement of monotheism: "I am the first and I am the last; beside me there is no God". In Isaiah 44:09–20, this is developed into a satire on the making and worship of idols, mocking the foolishness of the carpenter who worships the idol that he himself has carved. While Yahweh had shown his superiority to other gods before, in Second Isaiah, he becomes the sole God of the world. This model of monotheism became the defining characteristic of post-Exilic Judaism and became the basis for Christianity and Islam.[39]

ISAIAH’S BENEVOLENT CREATOR AS THE EARLIEST PERSIAN ‘INFLUENCE’ ON JUDAISM

This post is a summary of the recently published article, Jason M. Silverman, “Achaemenid Creation and Second Isaiah” Journal of Persianate Studies
Isaiah’s Benevolent Creator as the earliest Persian ‘Influence’ on Judaism | Changes in Sacred Texts and Traditions

Second Isaiah (Isaiah 40–55) represents the one of the most sustained assertions of YHWH as creator in the Hebrew Bible. As a theme, creation periodically appears throughout Second Isaiah from 40:12 to 54:16, thus almost the entire span of the work. I argue that the manner in which this text uses the theme of creation is an instance of double influence: first, of deliberate, negative influence in relation to Babylonian creation, and second, of a deliberate (though perhaps subconscious), positive influence in relation to Achaemenid creation (Silverman 2010: 2–3, 6). To substantiate this claim, I will briefly describe creation as it appears in Second Isaiah, creation as it appears in the prologues to the Royal Old Persian inscriptions, contrast these with the wider Ancient Near Eastern Context, and argue for the significant of the Persian context. Thus instead of older arguments over “monotheism” and “dualism,” I argue that the locus for interaction is in the concept of creation.

The interpretative change in Isaiah’s use of creation is huge. Yahweh has started on a path of teleological creation. His purposes are no longer restricted to the local kingdoms which worship him, nor to response in the historical moment: he has created with a view to his servants. These servants—Yahwists and Great King—function in this context. Moreover, Yahweh is now attached to a beneficent understanding of reality and not just one predicated on superior power. He also has become a creator in a manner which Isaiah develops as a foil to Marduk but an implicitly comparable one to Ahuramazda. In light of this, it is reasonable to conclude that this is one of the earliest evidences of Iranian influence on the Judaeans, in the form of creation theology.

II Isaiah and the Persians
II Isaiah and the Persians on JSTOR

Judaean Elite Encounters with the Fledgling Persian Empire: The Evidence of Second Isaiah and First Zechariah

Judaean Elite Encounters with the Fledgling Persian Empire: The Evidence of Second Isaiah and First Zechariah | Bible Interp
By Jason M. Silverman

Docent in Old Testament Studies

University of Helsinki

joelr

Yes, following the herd seems to be your standard operating procedure.

Ah, super, thankyou. More goalpost moving. Now that I have provided the consensus suddenly it's "following the herd"...HA HA HA HA HA HA Boy someone is a SORE loser. I'll take bitterness if not honesty.

That comment, you replied to is:
BTW, repeatedly proving theres a concensus is a strawman. I've never disagreed that the conclusions are popular.​

Yes exactly. You have been arguing (at first) the Genesis myths were not syncretic. Showing the consensus says this is true shows it is likely.
It also debunks any ideas about "but the Israelites were around so maybe....." as if scholars don't know why that isn't an option. Intentionally dumbing down the position of scholars once I present it isn't an honest way of responding. It isn't as much gaslighting as other things.

How in the world do you read this, and think it's gaslighting? Yes, repeatedly proving there is a consensus is a strawman. No one is denying that a concensus exists. the question is, how did they come up with the conclusions? Did they examine the underlying assumptions, or are they riding on the backs of other weak assumptions? And so far, they're weak assumptions. When ever they are examined... Weak.

That is a lie. I have given you a PhD explaining when Israel was around. As well as other scholars saying the same. I will give more. 1000BCE is the general time they would have begun to be established. They were not around in Mesopotamia. The analysis of text has been established. You can call the conclusions Dr Kipp and Dr Bowen speak on in the video "weak". You are not qualified to make that assumption. You haven't explained why you would think that.

I'm not the one who repeatedly misquotes the sources. That's all you.

And no example once again.

Yes, please stop trying to prove something that isn't in dispute. It makes you look like a preacher on a pulpit who just wants to speak his "truth" at people regardless of the actual topic.

Now this would be gaslighting. It was the topic. Until I demonstrated I was correct. Now you seem to want to slide into it being something different AND criticize me because I don't know the topic?? If it wasn't in dispute you would have said right away you agree the consensus is......that never happened. You resisted as hard as possible.

Great, you know the popular opinion. But you don't seem to understand what goes into making those opinions.

Whew, lot of fallacies.
You love goalpost moving. Now that I have established consensus it's about "understanding" what goes into them. Heh.
I've already stated what this is (not gaslighting) but I don't want to get flagged.

As if the information isn't true because I don't fully understand the literary knowledge. As if anyone on a general religious debate forum has to know everything a PhD FIELD knows?

"There is no slavery in Egypt, there is no exodus at least not in the way it's described in the bible."

Yes, he says the way Exodus is described NEVER HAPPENED. NEVER. Exodus is a story that the Israelites escaped slavery and became unified through that.
That is not true. They were Canaanites and moved to the mountain areas after the Bronze Age collapse. They made up a national foundation myth way later.
A few people may have actually came from slavery in Egypt. THAT is the "exodus" that Dr Baden says could have happened.
What a useless quibble. You are fishing.

"We have records of semetic peoples who were enslaved [ in egypt ] and left heading towards canaan".

I had to do this last round. It's nonsense time wasting nothingness.
He also says a "few" people may have come this way. He also says..........."Exodus didn't happen the way it says in the Bible",
"none of the Biblical stories are true (about Exodus)"
"kernels of experience of people fleeing Egypt and brought their story, gussied it up as divinely aided and it only takes a few stories to branch into this huge epic"

I said Exodus didn't happen. It didn't happen? This is ridiculous. Yes a few people came from Egypt and joined the Israelites? How is this even a thing?

He also says that during the Iran age collapse many poeople immigrated to the small settlemens which eventually because the Israelite nation.

So, they weren't all canaanites. That's per your expert scholar.[/QUOTE]

Why would I mean every single person had to be Canaanite? The point is the Bible is not correct? Mostly they were displaced Canaanites?

Could have come from the people who immigrated to the area. Yes, even a small group of egyptian slaves.

Yes, a small group. So the Bible tales are myth.

Well, good thing I didn't do that then, did I? Your accusations against me are false.I'm not dishonest. I'm just the only person with the patience and motivation to go through this stuff with you. :)

When I say Exodus was false and Dr Baden says every version in text didn't happen that is enough. A small group is not part of the equation, why would that matter? Just bringing this up as if I misquoted him is sketchy.

Most people were Canaanite. 4:37, "there is not even a true Biblical story to like, say happened" so he said it also, Exodus did not happen?
why would you make this point?

As Dr. Baden says, people immigrated to the settlements that became the Israelite nation from many places during the iron age collapse. And there's evidence of a small group of semetic slaves leaving egpyt for canaan. So no, not all were canaanites.

Judaism has always been a minority position. What the majority did is irrelevant.[/QUOTE]

No actually he said "probably" on the slaves. It probably did happen. This isn't about minority or majority, the Exodus story is a foundation myth.