• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus calls His mother 'Woman'

peacecrusader888

Two instances in the Holy Bible where Jesus called His mother Mary 'Woman'. They are:
1. John 2:4 - "Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come." This was at the wedding at Cana in Galilee.
2. John 19:25 - "When Jesus therefore saw mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!"

Why did Jesus call His mother woman?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Two instances in the Holy Bible where Jesus called His mother Mary 'Woman'. They are:
1. John 2:4 - "Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come." This was at the wedding at Cana in Galilee.
2. John 19:25 - "When Jesus therefore saw mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!"

Becaust that was the way they spoke at that time.
There is no special implication to it at all.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

I'm not an expert in Aramaic, but at least in German, calling someone "Frau" (woman) is actually the equivalent of saying Miss or Mrs. My guess is that a similar situation occurred in the Gospel. Jesus was talking to Mary using what is in Aramaic a polite form of address.

Last edited:

peacecrusader888

I'm not an expert in Aramaic, but at least in German, calling someone "Frau" (woman) is actually the equivalent of saying Miss or Mrs. My guess is that a similar situation occurred in the Gospel. Jesus was talking to Mary using what is in Aramaic a polite form of address.

That is NOT what the spirit of Ama said when we were discussing about John the Baptist.

peacecrusader888

Alright, what's your take then?

At the wedding at Cana in Galilee (John 2:1-11), Jesus called His mother Mary "Woman". Why? The spirit of Ama said that this is because Jesus is God and His mother His creation.

He called His mother "Woman" again in John 19:26 when He was on the cross.

Animore

Peter also called a man who spoke to him, "man." Jesus called Mary "woman" because that was how people spoke back then. That's all. There may be something about a translation I've missed, but I don't think that would change the concept. God bless.