• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus based on earlier deities?

74x12

I'm looking for an informed and authoritative website that explains the similarities between Jesus and other figures, such as Mithras and Horus. Does anyone have any links they could please share? Perhaps there's a YouTube video that explains the notion? I'm having trouble finding stuff

And whilst we're here could we have a discussion about this? Is Jesus really based on earlier deities?

I don't know. It's a genuine question :D

Here's a pic to get things going:

View attachment 51371
What they do is they go looking for similarities with Jesus and then they reword ancient myths about these deities using Christian sounding words so that it really sounds similar to Jesus. This is just atheistic attempt to discredit the Bible.

They also exaggerate and outright fabricate a lot of it. You should verify for yourself. Just read unbiased versions of the myths in context and see if it really sounds like Jesus.

There were some gods who would die annually and rise from the dead because they were based off the solar cycle. That is the shortening and lengthening of days throughout the year. So their god died every winter and rose from the dead when the days grew longer. It's simple stuff like that. One thing to remember is that many myths and stories about ancient deities are based off of the observation of the sun, stars and the moon.

But that doesn't mean Jesus copied them. If Jesus is the true God then he himself and his story should be in the stars not the other way around. Suggested read is EW Bullinger's The Witness of the Stars.

KerimF

I don't know - but it was the first language - the language spoken by God - which was later perverted at the Tower.

The Genesis account claims that God spoke with Adam - taught him various things - and that Adam spoke to Him.

The Genesis record claims that she spoke to Adam, the serpent and to God.

Although - interestingly - the record claims that when Adam and Eve first met - it was Adam that spoke to Eve - not her to him.

The Genesis account does not record Eve speaking up until the incident with the serpent.

So - it is possible - considering the Patriarchal order of the record - that God taught Adam how to speak - and then Adam taught Eve how to speak.

Or who knows? Perhaps they both were formed with the ability. Adam from the dust and Eve from Adam.

The ancient Israelites claimed that they traced their ancestry back to Adam and Eve and there are New Testament writers who reference them as if they were real people whose decisions affected the world.

I see no reason to assume that their story is a mere fairy tale.

Sure they would - and when can you "found out" something with no evidence?

Learning that there was no literal Fall of Man to explain why we had a need for a literal Redemption should be very upsetting to any Christian.

Only what they want to hear - sadly.

Indeed, what you said here is what formal Christians around the world are supposed to believe.

So here is something new:

I found out from reading the Gospel attentively that Jesus came, in person, to save me from a serious weakness with which all human babies (I, included) are born.
Could you guess it?
Well, it is 'total ignorance'. Not in vain, Jesus presented also Himself as the Light of the world. Which light could be greater than the Light of Knowledge?
In brief, the knowledge I got from Jesus (not from anyone else in the Bible) may be called 'Science of Reality'.

Did you ever think/imagine that Jesus came to brought knowledge about natural truths that no man can reveal before the multitudes as clearly and loudly as He does on the today's Gospel, even in these days?

I guess I talked too much... sorry :(

KerimF

Thank you. I agree with the Bible, but it is possible that I don’t understand it fully.

I have understood spirit is like attitude. For example, team spirit is like attitude that makes team work together better. When it is said love is a spirit, I think it means similar thing. Love is caring attitude that makes person do good things to others, without asking reward. But, because Bible tells also that God is the creator, it means the love that Bible speaks of is much more than just feeling/emotion/attitude in humans mind. To know Bible God well, I think it is good to know all that Bible tells about the matter. And even after that, it is possible that human doesn’t know fully. Luckily, I don’t think it is absolutely necessary at this point. I think it is enough to know that the will of God is that we love others as ourselves and understand that it is good. That is enough.

What do you think of this:
{Matthew 5:44-45}
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Fallen Prophet

Indeed, what you said here is what formal Christians around the world are supposed to believe.

So here is something new:

I found out from reading the Gospel attentively that Jesus came, in person, to save me from a serious weakness with which all human babies (I, included) are born.
Could you guess it?
Well, it is 'total ignorance'. Not in vain, Jesus presented also Himself as the Light of the world. Which light could be greater than the Light of Knowledge?
In brief, the knowledge I got from Jesus (not from anyone else in the Bible) may be called 'Science of Reality'.

Did you ever think/imagine that Jesus came to brought knowledge about natural truths that no man can reveal before the multitudes as clearly and loudly as He does on the today's Gospel, even in these days?

I guess I talked too much... sorry :(
He is the light of all.

KerimF

He is the light of all.

By the way, a formal Christian is not supposed seeing in Jesus the Divine Perfect Teacher (The Living Word of God). Instead, they are supposed to believe that He couldn't, for some reasons, be perfect in His teachings.
In other words, they have to believe that Jesus failed in revealing all natural truths that a spiritual person may need to know and should, therefore, hearing the missing ones (in Jesus message) from various men in the Bible.

The irony is that a formal Christian knows that Jesus is God but he is not supposed to see Him as perfect as God due to his incomplete teachings!

On the other hand, I personally knew that Jesus is the Will (the same Will of my Father in Heaven) which is behind my existence (and of the universe) because I found out that His teachings are indeed perfect and no man was able giving me more knowledge about myself and the REAL world than He did.

Please note, this is just me, and I don't expect anyone agreeing on what I said.

Fallen Prophet

By the way, a formal Christian is not supposed seeing in Jesus the Divine Perfect Teacher (The Living Word of God). Instead, they are supposed to believe that He couldn't, for some reasons, be perfect in His teachings.
In other words, they have to believe that Jesus failed in revealing all natural truths that a spiritual person may need to know and should, therefore, hearing the missing ones (in Jesus message) from various men in the Bible.

The irony is that a formal Christian knows that Jesus is God but he is not supposed to see Him as perfect as God due to his incomplete teachings!

On the other hand, I personally knew that Jesus is the Will (the same Will of my Father in Heaven) which is behind my existence (and of the universe) because I found out that His teachings are indeed perfect and no man was able giving me more knowledge about myself and the REAL world than He did.

Please note, this is just me, and I don't expect anyone agreeing on what I said.
I agree. We don't need more than Him.

However - since we are imperfect - we often rely on our crutches.

As long as we focus on Him - we should be alright.

KerimF

I agree. We don't need more than Him.

However - since we are imperfect - we often rely on our crutches.

As long as we focus on Him - we should be alright.

Please, once you will have the impression that I am crossing one of your red lines, just ask me to stop. After all, I shouldn't expect others be as I am and have no red lines at all :)

I think it is not real hard for someone to focus on anyone else, Jesus included.
But can every person take Jesus' sayings, about certain natural truths, seriously and even verifying them to know if they are real true, or not, in his life?

Let us explore one of His sayings.
I guess, you read, as I did, on the Gospel:

"It is easier for a camel/rope to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

In your opinion, to whom Jesus was referring when He said 'a rich man'?
Are rich women excluded? :D
Is the rich man a person who has lot of money? For example, a kid inherited a billion dollars, can we call him 'a rich man'? If we can't, why?
If someone not real rich, but he is a highly privileged person for serving a powerful rich family/system, couldn't we call him 'a rich man'? For instance, there is an Arabic saying: The dog of the prince is a prince :D

Now, what could I learn, speaking practically, from the expression "not being able to enter the kingdom of God"? In other words, why it is impossible for the rich man (whom Jesus refers to) to enter the kingdom of God?

If you think it is good going on exploring this point, please let me know.
I am saying this because it happened once that soon after I started a thread to discuss this saying in an international Christian forum, I was banned :D

Fallen Prophet

Please, once you will have the impression that I am crossing one of your red lines, just ask me to stop. After all, I shouldn't expect others be as I am and have no red lines at all :)

I think it is not real hard for someone to focus on anyone else, Jesus included.
But can every person take Jesus' sayings, about certain natural truths, seriously and even verifying them to know if they are real true, or not, in his life?

Let us explore one of His sayings.
I guess, you read, as I did, on the Gospel:

"It is easier for a camel/rope to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

In your opinion, to whom Jesus was referring when He said 'a rich man'?
Are rich women excluded? :D
Is the rich man a person who has lot of money? For example, a kid inherited a billion dollars, can we call him 'a rich man'? If we can't, why?
If someone not real rich, but he is a highly privileged person for serving a powerful rich family/system, couldn't we call him 'a rich man'? For instance, there is an Arabic saying: The dog of the prince is a prince :D

Now, what could I learn, speaking practically, from the expression "not being able to enter the kingdom of God"? In other words, why it is impossible for the rich man (whom Jesus refers to) to enter the kingdom of God?

If you think it is good going on exploring this point, please let me know.
I am saying this because it happened once that soon after I started a thread to discuss this saying in an international Christian forum, I was banned :D
It was my understanding that the "eye of a needle" was a reference to the small gate that led into a city.

At night the large gate would be closed - but a smaller gate was available for those who arrived at that time.

In order for a camel to fit into these smaller gates - they would have to crawl on their knees.

I always understood this passage to mean that a rich man could enter into the kingdom of God while humbly on his knees.

We cannot allow the privileges we have received in this life to make us feel superior to anyone else - we must always maintain our humility.

KerimF

It was my understanding that the "eye of a needle" was a reference to the small gate that led into a city.

At night the large gate would be closed - but a smaller gate was available for those who arrived at that time.

In order for a camel to fit into these smaller gates - they would have to crawl on their knees.

I always understood this passage to mean that a rich man could enter into the kingdom of God while humbly on his knees.

We cannot allow the privileges we have received in this life to make us feel superior to anyone else - we must always maintain our humility.

Thank you very much for telling me how this saying could be also interpreted the way you believe.

I personally did never imagine that Jesus who likely knew about that "small gate", he had to call it "an eye of a needle".

I wish I know, if possible, if this interpretation is yours or you heard it from someone else?
Thank you.

Fallen Prophet

Thank you very much for telling me how this saying could be also interpreted the way you believe.

I personally did never imagine that Jesus who likely knew about that "small gate", he had to call it "an eye of a needle".

I wish I know, if possible, if this interpretation is yours or you heard it from someone else?
Thank you.
Well - I know I didn't just make it up - but I couldn't tell you where I heard it either.

I just found it in a simple Google search - but it is not the only interpretation of the verse.

What do you think of this:
{Matthew 5:44-45}
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Good scripture, tells nicely that God is good, even when people don’t deserve it.

KerimF

Good scripture, tells nicely that God is good, even when people don’t deserve it.

I am afraid that, with this saying, Jesus doesn't tell me only that my Father in Heaven is good (as Jesus is, since both have One Will, being unified by the Divine Spirit of Love, the Holy Spirit), but applying any worldly justice on others (which reflects/follows the instincts of survival) is NOT God's Will (for the spiritual humans who look feeding their living soul for eternity, but not for the material ones who are created just to take care of the world temporarily and have, therefore, to apply 'their' justice on others).

Now you know why Jesus adds:
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

In other words, at the end, there will be no losers (just returning back to 'nothing'), but a few possible winners; ending up into a dream-like realm for eternity (God's Realm of Ultimate Love) which is not limited by time and space, and one's dead flesh won't wake up to interrupt it :)

KerimF

Well - I know I didn't just make it up - but I couldn't tell you where I heard it either.

I just found it in a simple Google search - but it is not the only interpretation of the verse.

I bet that none of the interpretations which could be found on the internet or on any international media displeases, in one way or another, any of the powerful rich men/groups in the world.

And I would be real surprised knowing a real rich man who believes really in the existence of what Jesus refers to as the God's kingdom (though this doesn’t prevent him pretending before others that he believes in whatever they like hearing from him).

But, Jesus reminds me that a rich person (privileged by a law) cannot be so (be real rich) without having various secrets (starting from the ones related to his business, if not businesses). And, revealing some of these secrets may also affect badly on other persons of his high class, including the ones who run his formal ruling system, religious or political. In other words, such a rich privileged man, anywhere on earth, cannot be honest and sincere anytime he addresses the multitudes (among whom I am :) ). And He may be capable of fooling all his audience, but not me, thanks to Jesus’ hint. Of course, I also don’t need to judge him or even blame him because he was created to play this exact role. After all, the material world cannot run properly (as in God’s plan) without powerful deceivers. Otherwise, Jesus wouldn’t tell me to believe in the existence of Caesar (who represents the powerful rich world’s Elite and their servants, in any period of time):

Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

KerimF

Christianity is just borrowed theology with a few twists made to fit.

May I ask you if you know one religion whose believers don't have a certain law, said being inspired from Heaven, to obey and rituals to observe?

Only the message, presented on the Gospel and attributed to someone called Jesus (it doesn't matter if he is real or not), has no law to obey and rituals to observe. I guess you knew this if you read the Gospel (about Jesus only).

Therefore, you are right about the today's Christianity. Formal Christians around the world are supposed to believe in a certain imposed law and rituals, claimed being of Jesus.