• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jesus and the Problem of Evil

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A contradiction....
A truth is as firm as the cornerstone.....it won't be moved.
A truth, or Truth? So many religious people see Truth, as a propositional FACT. That is not the case. That "cornerstone" Truth, is best understood in terms like the "Groundless Ground". The Center, which is everywhere, and no "where" at once. Don't mistake "a truth" (as you put it), with Truth, from which all truths are but forms. You cannot know that Truth propositionally. You know it in your Being, as that "Groundless Ground".

"A truth" is dualistic. Truth, is nondual.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
A truth, or Truth? So many religious people see Truth, as a propositional FACT. That is not the case. That "cornerstone" Truth, is best understood in terms like the "Groundless Ground". The Center, which is everywhere, and no "where" at once. Don't mistake "a truth" (as you put it), with Truth, from which all truths are but forms. You cannot know that Truth propositionally. You know it in your Being, as that "Groundless Ground".

Instead of all that...why not admit....
a truth is what you can say before heaven...and no one will object.

Straw Dog

Yes, the ground of all being doesn't seem to be solid. It's fluid and shifting. The only thing I am certain of is my own uncertainty.

I don't know that non-duality is Truth. It's experiential and liberating, but I may be more inclined to call it the non-Truth.

As a general aside, won't be taking the "I"s out of sentences. I'm not competing for egolessness, have nothing to prove, and don't see the value in trying to sound more mystical by speaking like Yoda. :D

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And Jesus Christ the only begotten Son of God claimed to be the Truth, not an example of truth, not one who had realized or attained truth, not a teacher/guru showing the truth... but the Truth.

And the Carpenter did say....'Do not call Me good. No one is good but the Father.'

Truth?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And Jesus Christ the only begotten Son of God claimed to be the Truth, not an example of truth, not one who had realized or attained truth, not a teacher/guru showing the truth... but the Truth.
Yes. He is both. He is a teacher too. To be realized, is to know who you truly are, which is not just the flesh. But you are also flesh. Do you not understand Incarnation? "I and my Father are One". The man was a man. To not be a man, makes him not God incarnate.

InChrist

Free4ever
And the Carpenter did say....'Do not call Me good. No one is good but the Father.'

Truth?

Actually, He said, " “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God".

I believe it was a rhetorical question. Jesus was truly good, the embodiment of goodness. If only God was good this therefore reveals that Jesus is God.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, the ground of all being doesn't seem to be solid. It's fluid and shifting. The only thing I am certain of is my own uncertainty.

I don't know that non-duality is Truth. It's experiential and liberating, but I may be more inclined to call it the non-Truth.
I think we are saying the same thing. Truth, with a capital T, is not "a truth" something we can point to as an object. I say nonduality is that, because it doesn't claim any one thing as "truth". It just "Is". It embraces all truths, itself not being one among others.

As a general aside, won't be taking the "I"s out of sentences. I'm not competing for egolessness, have nothing to prove, and don't see the value in trying to sound more mystical by speaking like Yoda. :D
To be egoless, makes us not human. :)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Actually, He said, " “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God".

I believe it was a rhetorical question. Jesus was truly good, the embodiment of goodness. If only God was good this therefore reveals that Jesus is God.

Different copies read differently.
Still.....He refused to be called good.....either way.

And the debate over being one with God....goes on.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
Yes. He is both. He is a teacher too. To be realized, is to know who you truly are, which is not just the flesh. But you are also flesh. Do you not understand Incarnation? "I and my Father are One". The man was a man. To not be a man, makes him not God incarnate.

I understand the Incarnation. God the Son became human. He is the only One who is and ever will be fully God and fully human...Jesus Christ.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Anyone ever notice?.....the Carpenter referred to Himself as the son of Man.

And otherwise as ...'brother and fellow servant'.

InChrist

Free4ever
Different copies read differently.
Still.....He refused to be called good.....either way.

Are you saying that Jesus was bad?

He did not refuse to be called good. He simply asked the question to give them clearer understanding about what they were saying in reference to Himself.

InChrist

Free4ever
Anyone ever notice?.....the Carpenter referred to Himself as the son of Man.

And otherwise as ...'brother and fellow servant'.

Yes. Jesus came to earth in love purposely to become human, as the second Adam, to serve and save humanity.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes. Jesus came to earth in love purposely to become human, as the second Adam, to serve and save humanity.

You jumped to what he did.

My comment was about WHAT He might be.

As for what He did.....He taught parables.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Are you saying that Jesus was bad?

He did not refuse to be called good. He simply asked the question to give them clearer understanding about what they were saying in reference to Himself.

And then clearly stated....NO ONE is good but the Father.

True?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I understand the Incarnation. God the Son became human. He is the only One who is and ever will be fully God and fully human...Jesus Christ.
I don't believe you do based upon your previous responses. You said this:

"And Jesus Christ the only begotten Son of God claimed to be the Truth, not an example of truth, not one who had realized or attained truth, not a teacher/guru showing the truth... but the Truth."​

All you are doing is spouting church doctrines (I challenge you to find "God the Son" anywhere in the Bible). You are not demonstrating an understanding of what this "mystery" implies. In fact, to you there is no mystery at all. Nothing to inspire any higher understanding. It's just facts on paper.

In that fact, you fail, and will continue to do so. This is like trying to describe a three-dimensional universe to someone who lives in a two-dimensional flatland. There is no way they can see beyond it into that "mystery". You make mystery a "fact", and thus a round balloon passing through a two-dimensional world appears only as a moving line. A spherical object must fit a two-dimensional understanding. After all, we are made in God's image, so therefore God is two-dimension too!

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
I don't believe you do based upon your previous responses. You said this:
"And Jesus Christ the only begotten Son of God claimed to be the Truth, not an example of truth, not one who had realized or attained truth, not a teacher/guru showing the truth... but the Truth."​
All you are doing is spouting church doctrines (I challenge you to find "God the Son" anywhere in the Bible). You are not demonstrating an understanding of what this "mystery" implies. In fact, to you there is no mystery it all.

In that fact, you fail, and will continue to do so. This is like trying to describe a three-dimensional universe to someone who lives in a two-dimensional flatland. There is no way they can see beyond it into that "mystery". You make mystery a "fact", and thus a round balloon passing through a two-dimensional world appears only as a moving line.

I am not spouting church doctrine. The main mystery revealed in the scriptures is that the Son is the second Person of the Godhead who became flesh to be the second Adam and save mankind from sin. The term God the Son may not be there word for word, but the theme of this truth permeates the scriptures and anyone with their eyes enlightened by the Holy Spirit does not miss this focal point of the Bible.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am not spouting church doctrine. The main mystery revealed in the scriptures is that the Son is the second Person of the Godhead who became flesh to be the second Adam and save mankind from sin. The term God the Son may not be there word for word, but the theme of this truth permeates the scriptures and anyone with their eyes enlightened by the Holy Spirit does not miss this focal point of the Bible.

Windwalker is right.

It is an image you are making.