• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jehovah Witnesses

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
it was a different story in the early 1900's. Our organisation was banned in the USA. Our governing body members were all jailed at one time.
I is good now because we fought for our right to worship and practice our form of christianity and we won that right. Bur right now in many parts of the world, our work is still banned and our brothers and sisters are languishing in jails for their faith. Of course we are not the only religion that has bans on it...there are many other minority religions who do too.
Citation needed. And please, no nonsense from the Watchtower or other such publications.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Thank you. So no record of leaders being imprisoned in the years she mentioned. Just some foolish local laws against preaching. Which were unconstitutional by the sound of them.
Yes, they were….

“Rutherford and seven other Watch Tower executives were imprisoned in 1918 after charges were laid over the publication of The Finished Mystery, a book deemed seditious for its opposition to World War I.[8][9]

Joseph Franklin Rutherford - Wikipedia

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
@Subduction Zone
And members around the world that are currently being imprisoned….

Russia….
44 Jehovah’s Witnesses in prison for their faith, according to report by HRWF | IIRF

….and others: Eritrea, Tajikistan, Singapore, S.Korea, etc

HRWF Prisoners Database – Other countires | Human Rights Without Frontiers

Excerpt from Are the Jehovah Witnesses the world's most persecuted religion? » MercatorNet

“One of the reasons Jehovah’s Witnesses are persecuted is their uncompromising position on conscientious objection, based on arguments derived from the Bible. This, the report* argues, is misinterpreted, either because of a lack of understanding or maliciously, as anti-patriotism or “rejection of official values.” In fact, Jehovah’s Witnesses are law-abiding citizens, ready to “serve society in a peaceful way,” if they are offered civil service alternatives that are clearly outside of the military system.”

*A report by the US Commission on International Religious Freedom

(And with China, N.Korea, & Afghanistan, we do not authorize public records, due to extreme violence toward us.)

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
@Subduction Zone
And members around the world that are currently being imprisoned….

Russia….
44 Jehovah’s Witnesses in prison for their faith, according to report by HRWF | IIRF

….and others: Eritrea, Tajikistan, Singapore, S.Korea, etc

HRWF Prisoners Database – Other countires | Human Rights Without Frontiers

Excerpt from Are the Jehovah Witnesses the world's most persecuted religion? » MercatorNet

“One of the reasons Jehovah’s Witnesses are persecuted is their uncompromising position on conscientious objection, based on arguments derived from the Bible. This, the report argues, is misinterpreted, either because of a lack of understanding or maliciously, as anti-patriotism or “rejection of official values.” In fact, Jehovah’s Witnesses are law-abiding citizens, ready to “serve society in a peaceful way,” if they are offered civil service alternatives that are clearly outside of the military system.”

(And with China, N.Korea, & Afghanistan, we do not make official reports, due to extreme violence toward us.)
In Russia there is no doubt that they are not very nice to JW's. I disagree with that, even though some might say that they "earned it'. I am for freedom of religion even for rather extreme cases. Though I might make it easier to sue churches when they harm their own membership.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Go to the library and do some research
That is not the way that it works. But not to worry. Another JW did your homework for you. When making a claim on a forum one takes on a burden of proof. If one cannot support one's claim at best it is the same as if one never made such a claim. In cases that run contrary to evidence already presented (none in this was either way at that time) it is almost the same as admitting that one is wrong when one does not support a claim.

Bree

That is not the way that it works. But not to worry. Another JW did your homework for you. When making a claim on a forum one takes on a burden of proof. If one cannot support one's claim at best it is the same as if one never made such a claim. In cases that run contrary to evidence already presented (none in this was either way at that time) it is almost the same as admitting that one is wrong when one does not support a claim.

yes i know, university education teaches you such :)

And there is a lot of misinformation out there, but our Watchtower is not one of them. You may not like what you read in the Watchtower, but that does not mean it is not a source of true and accurate information. Our writing team are incredible researchers of true facts and the information presented in the Watchtower goes through the most stringent process to present a true and accurate account of events in our past and in many subjects of a secular nature too.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
yes i know, university education teaches you such :)

And there is a lot of misinformation out there, but our Watchtower is not one of them. You may not like what you read in the Watchtower, but that does not mean it is not a source of true and accurate information. Our writing team are incredible researchers of true facts and the information presented in the Watchtower goes through the most stringent process to present a true and accurate account of events in our past and in many subjects of a secular nature too.
Here is a simple test. Do they claim that Genesis is history or myth?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
What about the persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses by their own organization?
Netflix has a tv series called "Scientology: the aftermath." The season three episode one interviews those who have left the Jehovah's witnesses. I highly recommend watching this.
those who have left Jehovah, are no longer His witnesses.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
This doesn't justify cutting them off, especially in cases of families. The practice of shunning, especially by family members, is horrific. It is used as an instrument of fear to keep people in line.

You only heard one side....have you talked with their families?
They’ve cut themselves off. They have hurt their families, then
turn the issue around like they are the injured party. I have been involved in too many cases. And personal experience.... my first wife was disfellowshipped - twice - but came back each time.

Fortunately, most do come back.

If a baptized JW wants to leave and stop worshipping Jehovah, all they have to do is leave. Stop coming to meetings. They won’t get disfellowshipped.

What happened in Judaism during the judges and the Kings, if a Jew stopped worshipping Jehovah? You should know, Judaism is your religion. Tell me.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
turn the issue around like they are the injured party. I have been involved in too many cases. And personal experience.... my first wife was disfellowshipped - twice - but came back each time.

If a baptized JW wants to leave and stop worshipping Jehovah, all they have to do is leave. Stop coming to meetings. They won’t get disfellowshipped.

What happened in Judaism during the judges and the Kings, if a Jew stopped worshipping Jehovah? You should know, Judaism is your religion. Tell me.
The families are ordered to cut them off. This is when it becomes obvious that the JW's qualify as a cult.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

I had a good friend who was raised Jehovah's witness. She was shunned by her family. It was emotionnally damaging. From what I've read and seen by othres who have left the group, this is the norm. There is no excuse for it.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I had a good friend who was raised Jehovah's witness. She was shunned by her family. It was emotionnally damaging. From what I've read and seen by othres who have left the group, this is the norm. There is no excuse for it.
You didn’t answer my question.

No one is ever DF’d for their actions, but their attitude about their actions.

Have you spoken with her family? If not, then you don’t know the whole story.