• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jediism for real?

Tyr

Proud viking :D:D
Some one mentioned this to me today..... For real? I mean come on, tis is like Starwars jedi right? Dark side light side, Darth Vader, the force. Does anyone practice or is it just a joke lol. Kinda funny how that movie influenced so much if its real.

Edit: Well it appears so, officially recognized as a religion in Canada on jan 12th, 09

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Some people practise it, I believe.

If I recall correctly, Jedi is loosely based off of Taosim, with something akin to the following.

The Force = Chi, etc.
Dark Side and Light Side = Yin and Yang

As well as a code of honour.

However, I suspect some people merely use the term "I'm a Jedi" to basically mock religions.

I find it kind of cool, actually. :D

Adso

Some one mentioned this to me today..... For real? I mean come on, tis is like Starwars jedi right? Dark side light side, Darth Vader, the force. Does anyone practice or is it just a joke lol. Kinda funny how that movie influenced so much if its real.

Edit: Well it appears so, officially recognized as a religion in Canada on jan 12th, 09

I think it all started after an internet campaign that stated that if enough people put "Jedi" as their religion that it would become a official recognized religion by the state.

rojse

RF Addict
But how is Jedi any different to more mainstream religions?

Except for the light-sabres. No other religion has something as cool as that.

Jediism could be seen like stated as Taoism. Monks who have few material possessions, meditative states of enlightenment, a uniques style of martial combat attuned to their meditative state, mind over matter, and preserving the purity of their beliefs. The dark side would have been the opposite. Arogue group of those with the same religion who follow a different path of enlightenment which was used for personal gain, not the self-sacrificing ways of the "Jedi". Pretty cool to know that it is now a recognized religion SOMEWHERE in this world. It even seems to hearken a bit to American Indian beliefs of energy in everything and being attuned spiritually to that "force".

rojse

RF Addict
Jediism could be seen like stated as Taoism. Monks who have few material possessions, meditative states of enlightenment, a uniques style of martial combat attuned to their meditative state, mind over matter, and preserving the purity of their beliefs. The dark side would have been the opposite. Arogue group of those with the same religion who follow a different path of enlightenment which was used for personal gain, not the self-sacrificing ways of the "Jedi". Pretty cool to know that it is now a recognized religion SOMEWHERE in this world. It even seems to hearken a bit to American Indian beliefs of energy in everything and being attuned spiritually to that "force".

But when all is said and done, Taoism has no lightsabres.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Except for the light-sabres. No other religion has something as cool as that.

If Jesus had a lightsaber then I doubt there would be many non-Christians. :D
JediJesus.jpg

But when all is said and done, Taoism has no lightsabres.
What can I say but...LMFAO!!! that was funny but true. However, Taoism did teach a form of martial arts didnt it? more for meditation but a martial art all the same? I dunno havent really gotten to them yet in my studies. Would love to learn more though!

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
However, Taoism did teach a form of martial arts didnt it? more for meditation but a martial art all the same? I dunno havent really gotten to them yet in my studies. Would love to learn more though!
I think that the fighting may come from the Shaolin monks blended with the Samurai code of honour. :)

I could be wrong though. :)

I think that the fighting may come from the Shaolin monks blended with the Samurai code of honour. :)

I could be wrong though. :)

were the Shaolin Japanese or Chinese? I know Tao is Chinese so Samurai wouldnt have had much combat influence since the Japanese at that time were very closed off to the world. Like I said MUCH influence but possibly....I thought Shaolin was more Kung Fu and Tai Chi?

gnomon

What can I say but...LMFAO!!! that was funny but true. However, Taoism did teach a form of martial arts didnt it? more for meditation but a martial art all the same? I dunno havent really gotten to them yet in my studies. Would love to learn more though!

The martial arts associated with the monks of China are primarily among Buddhists. T'ai Chi is the art form associated with taoism.

Though it was a taoist priest who led a rebellion against the Later Han at the end of the second century CE. Lots of violence during that time.

were the Shaolin Japanese or Chinese?
Chinese. They practiced Ch'an Buddhism. And Shaolin is not a martial art but a monastery. Kung Fu is a derived form from the Shaolin monks but they taught many forms.

Last edited:
The martial arts associated with the monks of China are primarily among Buddhists. T'ai Chi is the art form associated with taoism.

Though it was a taoist priest who led a rebellion against the Later Han at the end of the second century CE. Lots of violence during that time.

Chinese. They practiced Ch'an Buddhism. And Shaolin is not a martial art but a monastery. Kung Fu is a derived form from the Shaolin monks but they taught many forms.

Thank you. I appreciate the corrections and feedback!