• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jains?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Anyone ever met a Jain? I haven't, I would love to talk to one though about their beliefs. Don't suppose we'll see too many of them online though.

Master Vigil

I've never met one either. But the idea of the body being a hindrance to enlightenment is very interesting to me.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
i have. i was just a kid. they didnt seem too different, other than that they were northerners.

they had kids, the first pair of twins i saw that looked identical, but one was a boy and the other was a girl. no, they did not wear the mouth scarves, i think they were modern jains. there are very few jains in the world. many of the rich, many of them own jewelery stores.

fun facts.

Godschild

I feal your pain I have been trying to find a jain for sunniforums and biblebash (people on these forums also wish to meet a jain) I f I ever find one on line ill make sure ill let him no about you uys over here too :)

luhar214

Well, hello guys. I'm new to this Forum, and I'm a Jain. I was just searching on the Net for Jainims forums, and this is the first one i found. Well, I'm kinda surprised that you guys are anxious to meet a Jain, but I don't know what it feels like to be in your shoes. Oh well, gotta run.

Rex

Founder
luhar214 said:
Well, hello guys. I'm new to this Forum, and I'm a Jain. I was just searching on the Net for Jainims forums, and this is the first one i found. Well, I'm kinda surprised that you guys are anxious to meet a Jain, but I don't know what it feels like to be in your shoes. Oh well, gotta run.
Welcome to the forums. Hope to see you around and hear about your beliefs.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've met American Jains and have heard them speak at an animal-rights conventions. I was rather surprised to learn that many "modern" Jains have abandoned the radical harmlessness their religion is famed for, and a surprising percentage is no longer even vegetarian.

luhar214

Seyorni said:
I've met American Jains and have heard them speak at an animal-rights conventions. I was rather surprised to learn that many "modern" Jains have abandoned the radical harmlessness their religion is famed for, and a surprising percentage is no longer even vegetarian.
The majority of the Jains are vegetarians. Yes, it's hard to believe that some Jains are resorting to meat, and that is very sad. Growing up in America, it is difficult to follow all of my Jain principles. I am a vegetarian, and I don't eat raw eggs + fish; a lot of foods in U.S. such as cookies and bread have eggs, so I do break make exceptions My religion states that I'm not allowed to eat carrots or onions, unless they are grown in a different manner. My family never enforced upon me that i shouldn't eat carrots or onions.
In regards to other aspects of my religion, I really don't follow strictly. The lifestyle in America caused me not to follow my religion in a hardcore fashion. I mean I'm supposed to not eat after a certain time during the day, and I don't follow that. I hate killing insects since it's against my religion, but sometimes I end up doing that. However, one major part of my religion I always will follow is that I won't eat meat.

jimbob

The Celt
Why aren't you supposed to kill insects. Forgive my ignorance, but i have never even heard of your religion.

alex60

Yes,I have heard that Jains do not eat any crop that's grown sub-terrain,ie onions,garlic,carrots.any specific reason.How do you garnish your food?.What about potatoes.

swatijain

Well, well, ladies & gentleman. It is nice to meet you all.

I am a Jain. I lived in America for 8 years. Currently I am in Canada; and have been for the past 2 years. I have, always (my whole life) avoided eggs, fish and meat. I've also avoided onions, carrots and garlic. I do slip and eat potatoes at times. And yes, I am quite healthy.

There are different reasons for not eating particular vegetables. i.e. Onion because they tend to increase the (sexual) heat inside the body. Potatoes tend to darken/bring obstacles into life. The general reason for all these "root" vegetables is that they are grown underground (completely), and/or are seeds. i.e. potatoes grow on themselves. There are no seeds for it. So essentially, eating a potato is also eating its "complete" family. However, many of these philosophies make no sense to follow...as the whole point of eating fruits/vegetables over meat/etc. was that you don't have to "kill" plants to eat them. You eat the ones fallen on ground (i.e. already dead).

As for how is it to be around me (a Jain)? Well, my friends tend to avoid eating meat around me. They say it makes them "feel guilty." My closest friends tend to reduce their dosage of meat, though no one avoids eggs. Many of them are quite shocked that I can bake *awesome* brownies and cakes without the eggs or soy or such (use condensed milk!).

Jainism is about the respect of life as well as living by harming as LITTLE as possible. Note that it doesn't say living by harming nothing. It's as little. So at a point, it is OK for a Jain to eat meat. However, Jainism is against doing anything that is not out of "pure necessity." It is quite difficult to be a (true) Jain in this time of life. In fact, it is said, that in this yuva (era) no one is going to achieve salvation.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Swatijain, Namaste.

Nice of you to 'drop in' - I am ashamed to say that I had not heard of 'Jain' before; elements of it sound much like Buddhism - the part about not 'killing anything that grows' - which, If I have understood correctly, you subscribe to. I see there is an official Jain website in the U.K as well as in ther States- I will read up on you when I can. Welcome, by the way.:)

Kotaro

I always liked the teachings of Mahavira, I mean could there be a more peaceful sage? Do you revere him in any way besides just acknowledging him as your founder of enlightenment? He was also living the same time as Buddha was, I wonder if they ever met ;)

Finnyhaha

Buddhist scriptures attest that some of the first Buddhists were in fact Jains (Nirgranthas as they were then called, meaning "the unbonded ones") who "converted", whom Buddha encouraged to maintain their Jain identity and practices such as giving alms to Jain monks and nuns.
The ethical code of Jainism is taken very seriously. Summarized in the Five Vows, they are followed by both lay people and monastics. These are:

1. non-injury (ahinsa, or ahimsa)
  2. non-lying (satya)
  3. non-stealing (asteya)
  4. chastity (brahmacharya)
  5. non-possession (aparigrah)
Jain society is as dualistic as the Jain universe. On the one hand, there are the monks, who practice severe asceticism and strive to make this birth their last. On the other hand, there are the lay people, who pursue less rigorous practices, striving to attain rational faith and do good deeds in this birth. Due to the strict ethics embedded in Jainism, the laity must choose a profession and livelihood that does not involve violence to self and other living beings.

In their effort to attain their highest and most exalted state of beatification (Siddhatva), which is the permanent release of the jiva from all involvement in worldly existence, the Jains believe that no spirit or divine being can assist them in any way. From this viewpoint, Jainism may be termed a non-theistic religion. The Jains consider that gods cannot help the jiva to obtain release. This has to be achieved by individuals through their own efforts.
At approximately 8 to 10 million adherents, Jainism is among the smallest of the major world religions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
I am glad to see such a pacifistic religion out there is still in existance.

I am interested tho is there a tendency towards low self-esteem within the belief?

Because it is difficult to care so much about the welfare of other entities without forgetting to care about yourself.

akshar

Im not Jain, but i thin they belive in person named Mahavira, who achieved enlightenment, like buddha, and like buddha i think he disagreed wtih the vedas so he went of creating his own religion. Many jain saints kind of walk completely naked and some kids make fun of them, when the saints look at them they become paralysed.