• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jail, fines. For using improper pronouns.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Except people are screaming and worried such jail times and fines are going to happen, but they haven't. People are also worried about men dressing as women to sneak into the women's restroom with malicious intent, and of course give the green light to homosexuals and transgenders to do their wicked vileness, but it's not happening.
Could it be that people don't want to go to jail or pay excessive fines, so they just keep their mouth shut, it's a win-win for that kind of tatic.

Basic freedom loses though, oh well. Nobody will notice.

What happened to just having the boss fire an a******?

No, that was just doing things too easy. It's better to go after speech itself.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Could it be that people don't want to go to jail or pay excessive fines, so they just keep their mouth shut, it's a win-win for that kind of tatic.
They should be more realistic and not preach about doomsday scenarios that never come. And we should probably remind others of all these failed prophecies that never came, such as the example in Canada were a professor was so sure of himself that he would face consequences and fines and lose his job over it, because he was going to intentionally and deliberately not follow the law, and nothing come of it. He felt a breeze, told everyone it was a hurricane, and this storm just never happened.

Twilight Hue

I like this guy's profane pc un-correct rant...

It strikes into the heart of the emotional aspect of creating proposed legislation like this.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Except people are screaming and worried such jail times and fines are going to happen, but they haven't. People are also worried about men dressing as women to sneak into the women's restroom with malicious intent, and of course give the green light to homosexuals and transgenders to do their wicked vileness, but it's not happening.

let's not conflate here.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
let's not conflate here.
I'm not. You, and others, are the ones going on how something that is supposed to give transgender people an inch is going to take miles and miles away from the rest of society, and you claim it's over things that never happen and are not intended to happen. It's about the same as when the Republicans were screaming that the ACA was going to create "death panels" that would decide who lived and who died. It never happened and wasn't a part of it to begin with. Extremely similar to case in Canada were it said "zomg I'm going to jail" but all that happened was a bunch of chirping cricket noises to fill the void of nothing happening over it.

Twilight Hue

A similar bill came up in Canada recently, and the general response on RF was "nothing to worry about". But I think that fundamental rights like free speech get removed in tiny, incremental steps like this one. I think we need to call out even these little incursions, and stop them in their tracks.
It's a reason why I get passionate about things like this.

There are so many ways you can deal with things like this, but to use a legal system on the basis of people using (verbal) names? ???? Huh?

There's something seriously wrong here that needs to be looked at a lot closer if using names is serious enough to require legislative action of any sort.

Twilight Hue

I'm not. You, and others, are the ones going on how something that is supposed to give transgender people an inch is going to take miles and miles away from the rest of society, and you claim it's over things that never happen and are not intended to happen. It's about the same as when the Republicans were screaming that the ACA was going to create "death panels" that would decide who lived and who died. It never happened and wasn't a part of it to begin with. Extremely similar to case in Canada were it said "zomg I'm going to jail" but all that happened was a bunch of chirping cricket noises to fill the void of nothing happening over it.
Then why and pray tell are people willing to enact things like this if not for enforcement reasons? Of course people are going to be up in arms about it, in hopes of tempering the impact of this kind of thing can cause, or potentially cause.

People know full well that the ramifications can move well past any legislations
original definitions.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Then why and pray tell are people willing to enact things like this if not for enforcement reasons? Of course people are going to be up in arms about it, in hopes of tempering the impact of this kind of thing can cause, or potentially cause.

People know full well that the ramifications can move well past any legislations
original definitions.
They aren't enacting things that are going to do as you claim. People said that about Canada's law, and it was proven not true by someone who was "battering down the hatches" in preparation over this storm of consequences he was so certain and so sure would come that never did.

Twilight Hue

They aren't enacting things that are going to do as you claim. People said that about Canada's law, and it was proven not true by someone who was "battering down the hatches" in preparation over this stor

So you're maintaining that things like this are toothless then. So what do violators actually face?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's a reason why I get passionate about things like this.

There are so many ways you can deal with things like this, but to use a legal system on the basis of people using (verbal) names? ???? Huh?

There's something seriously wrong here that needs to be looked at a lot closer if using names is serious enough to require legislative action of any sort.
Yes, there is something seriously wrong. I agree that it should not be necessary to use the legal system to try to enforce what should simple respect. If someone says "please call me Jim" and I insist on calling him "James" or even "Shirley" that says a lot about me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If you demand I use **** like xe, zir, etc. you're going to have to lock me up.
Tis interesting that Bill Clinton attempted to impose real estate broker speech standards upon ordinary
citizens. He was one of the more anti-free speech Presidents. The case had to do with people
opposing group homes in their neighborhood. Clinton wanted to prosecute them for opposition.
Fortunately, he failed in this attempt.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

SW - this is about the fifth time that you've mischaracterized my position, despite my continued restatements. Why is that? It's almost as if you want to make a strawman ;)