• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've some questions please.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I understand that Baha'i believe that founders of all the main religions were manifestations of God, is that correct?

Is it the Baha'i view that everyone has the capacity to be a manifestation of God?

BruceDLimber

Geretings, and welcome to the neighborhood! :)

I understand that Baha'i believe that founders of all the main religions were manifestations of God, is that correct?

Quite so! They had been invested by God with the special status of Divine Messenger and were sent to renew religion and to guide humanity.

Is it the Baha'i view that everyone has the capacity to be a manifestation of God?

Not really, no. This is something that God chooses to do, not anything to which a person can aspire to!

According to the Baha'i scriptures, there are different ranks or degrees in creation. In ascending order, these are:

• mineral
  • vegetable
  • animal
  • human
  • Divine Messenger
Each level has the attributes of the lower ones and adds something new. For example, humans have an immortal soul; animals don't.

And Divine Messengers are an entirely different order of creation from us humans (though They do share our human characteristics also).

Best regards, and further questions are most welcome! :)

Bruce

arthra

Baha'i
Thanks Bruce.

Is the goal for Baha'i people to go to a 'higher place' in the next life so?

Thanks for your question!

The goal in this life is to reflect the attributes of God and prepare ourselves for the next life which will be through the worlds of God:

We know that man's physical body grows in the womb of the mother and acquires limbs and organs which are only needed after birth. The same principle applies to the spiritual realms. For the soul progresses in the womb of this world by acquiring spiritual qualities which are essential to its existence in the next life. The child in the womb of the mother and the soul in this life are indeed counterparts.

and this:

"The purpose of God in creating man", Baha'u'llah proclaims, "hath been, and will ever be, to enable him to know his Creator and to attain His Presence".

And this can be attained through the recognition of His Manifestation. By turning to Him and receiving the outpourings of His glory, the soul becomes illumined with the spirit of faith. It is not unlike the birth of a child. The child cannot come into existence without a father, and the soul cannot acquire the spirit of faith without the assistance of the Manifestation of God. The soul needs to recognize and establish a spiritual link with Him.

arthra

Baha'i
Thanks Arthra,

From a Bahai viewpoint what is the Manifestation of God?

The Manifestation of God is the Intermediary between God and His creation or mankind.. We know of the Manifestations in the Baha'i Writings but we are also told there have been many Manifesations in the ages past thatwe have no record of today and tehre will continue to be Manifestaions in the future..

Here is an essay that may help you understand this concept further..

The Eternal Quest for God: Chapter 6

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Hi,
I've a few more questions if you don't mind:-
How do Bahai's organize themselves?
Do you meet in a place of worship?
If so what do you call it?
Do you meet regularly?
Have you clergy?
Thanks
SW

arthra

Baha'i
Hi,
I've a few more questions if you don't mind:-
How do Bahai's organize themselves?
Do you meet in a place of worship?
If so what do you call it?
Do you meet regularly?
Have you clergy?
Thanks
SW

Stephen:

All excellent questions!

When there are nine adult Baha'is in a community they elect a Local Spiritual Assembly... this is the local administrative body of our Faith.. Baha'is also elect annually a National Spiritual Assembly every year and every five years we elect our international administrative body the Universal House of Justice which is our highest governing institution.

There are what we call a House of Worship on every continent and Australia and these buildings are open to anyone for prayer and meditation. There are some cities that have Baha'i Centers where we meet or most often we meet in each otehrs homes.

There is no class of professional clergy in the Baha'i Faith. Even Baha'is that serve in our Institutions have no inherent station other than when they are officially representing an Institution. thus a Chairman of an Assembly has no inherent power other than say chairing an Assembly meeting.

Every nineteen days we meet in a Feast which is a devotional, social and business meeting for Baha'is. The Baha'i calendar has nineteen months in the year and each month is named after an attribute of God, this month is called SULTAN or Sovereignty...so we just had the Feast of Sultan a few days ago.

There are also regular conventions and conferences that are held ever so often.

Great questions!

- Art

Last edited:

ProudMuslim

I have questions that are not related to marriage so i thought this is probably a better thread for that :)

Let's begin:

- How can one convert to Bahai? What does that person got to do and say?

- Do you believe in eternal heaven and hell?

- If you believe in Hell, what qualify a person to go to hell?

- Do yo have legal laws/justice system specified in the Kitab Al Aqdas?

- Do you believe in pilgrimage? and where is the destination?

- How many are the pillars of Bahai? and what are they?

- Can a Bahai leave the religion? Do you believe in physical/spiritual punishment if he/she did that?

- I read somewhere that holy war is forbidden in Bahai, is it right? If yes, what do you do if you get attacked? Does this also mean a Bahai cannot join the army? Does this also mean a Bahai (assuming there is a Bahai country) cannot assist in helping another country from aggression?

The last question is difficult and i hope it didnt came off as rude. I was thinking about it and i wanted to think about all kind of circumstances that incite a holy war.

Thank you again for your prompt replies :)

arthra

Baha'i
Hello again, I will respond in italics:

Proud Muslim wrote:

How can one convert to Bahai? What does that person got to do and say?

They must recognize Baha'u'llah as the Promised One and the Bab His forerunner and Abdul-Baha the Exemplar and Interpreter and that there are certain rules to obey and Institutions to respect.

- Do you believe in eternal heaven and hell?

We believe heaven is nearness to God and hell is remoteness from God, this heaven and hell can be in this life and the next.. we are dependent on God and His mercy after this life..

The one who rejects God and His Messenger and is remote from God (does not reflect the attributes of God)

- Do yo have legal laws/justice system specified in the Kitab Al Aqdas?

Yes indeed but only a segment or so has been enforced .. In the future when there are larger Baha'i communities more will be implemented.

Baha'i males who are able to do so are obligated to go on pilgrimage once in their lives.. Today pilgrimage is approved for visiting the Holy Shrines in Haifa, Israel... The actual sites for pilgrimage which are closed or not available to us due to persecution are in Shiraz, Iran and Baghdad, Iraq.

We have probably a different understanding than Muslims do on this..

Fasting and obligatory prayer constitute the two pillars that
sustain the revealed Law of God. Bahá'u'lláh in one of His
Tablets affirms that He has revealed the laws of obligatory
prayer and fasting so that through them the believers may
draw nigh unto God.
(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 176)

As above we go on pilgrimage .. there are also what we call the Huquq'u'llah or right of God for Baha'is that have means and after expenses are supposed to contribute 19% of profit.

- Can a Bahai leave the religion? Do you believe in physical/spiritual punishment if he/she did that?

A Baha'i can withdraw from the Faith with no penalties or punishment. When we declare our Faith we apply to belong to the Baha'i community.. We can also withdraw but need to submit it in writing. When accepted we are non-Baha'i.

- I read somewhere that holy war is forbidden in Bahai, is it right?

Baha'u'llah abrogated Jihad.. armed struggle in defence of religion is forbidden for Baha'is.

If yes, what do you do if you get attacked?

Baha'is are permitted to defend themselves if attacked if there is no civil authority to keep the peace available.. this is for personal self defence not due to religion.

Does this also mean a Bahai cannot join the army?

A Baha'i is supposed to seek a non-combatant status.. We are not to join.. but if drafted we will cooperate.

Does this also mean a Bahai (assuming there is a Bahai country) cannot assist in helping another country from aggression?

Baha'is support a one world government and international court of arbitration and that this is necessary to support peace.

The last question is difficult and i hope it didnt came off as rude. I was thinking about it and i wanted to think about all kind of circumstances that incite a holy war.

Once again, we do not believe in Jihad an armed struggle to defend religion. The concept we believe has also been so abused over history..

Thanks again for the questions!

- Art

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

Hi again, PM! :)

Here are a few supplemental answers to some of your questions:

- How can one convert to Bahai? What does that person got to do and say?

Joining is an extremely simple process and entails no special ceremony. Once you state your acceptance of Baha'u'llah as God's Messenger for this day, you're in! :)

In many countries you're asked to fill in the equivalent of a post card (address, etc.); this puts you on the mailing list and confers your administrative rights as a Baha'i. But even this depends on the locality: some countries don't even have a card to fill in.

One basically puts oneself into either Heaven or hell (in this life, at each moment!) by our own thoughts and actions! And in this life, one can change between them at will.

As to the next life, our scriptures assure us that God, in His infinite Love and Mercy, will assist even those who have put themselves into the worst sort of hell (i.e., the farthest spiritual separation from Him) eventually to progress and draw near to Him!

- Do you have legal laws/justice system specified in the Kitab Al Aqdas?

Most of this doesn't exist yet and won't for many years! That's for a future society when the Baha'i Faith is more prominent. Now we simply have our own internal administrative system with its elected bodies.

The pilgrimage (which all Baha'is endeavor to go on) is presently to both Haifa and Akka, Israel, where our World Center and holy shrines are.

No such expression is used in the Faith.

There are various laws and teachings, but nothing referred to as "pillars."

(One very minor exception: The elected bodies of our Administrative Order are often described via the metaphor of a structure similar to several grave markers of Baha'u'llah's family members at our World Center. These comprise marble pedestals of several steps surmounted by nine pillars upholding a small domed canopy. And in the metaphor, the base is our local spiritual assemblies, the pillars our national spiritual assemblies, and the canopy the Universal House of Justice <our world-level administrative body in Haifa>.)

Most certainly! Our central principal of Individual Investigation of Truth works both directions! If you sincerely investigate, either as a Baha'i or not, and decide something else is better, then by all means follow that with our blessings! :)

[W]hat do you do if you get attacked? Does this also mean a Bahai cannot join the army? Does this also mean a Bahai (assuming there is a Bahai country) cannot assist in helping another country from aggression?

Agression and waging war are condemned in the Baha'i scriptures.

As stated, we are permitted to defend ourselves, although if we're attacked because we're Baha'is (as in Iran), we submit to this without attacking back.

Baha'is who join the military are advised to seek noncombatant status wherever possible (I have it myself), and we're permitted but specifically discouraged from having military careers. (Careers with the police are fine.)

Our scriptures also state that if an aggressor attacks another country, every other nation in the world should arise to stop him.

Finally, as I'm sure you already know, the jihad Baha'u'llah forbade is what Muslims call the "lesser jihad." The Greater Jihad--spiritual struggle with oneself--is not only still permitted but definitely encouraged!

Best regards, and do keep the questions coming; we LOVE 'em! :)

Bruce

Last edited:

ProudMuslim

Arthra & BruceDLimber, thank you very much for your prompt replies.

More as you wished :D

1. There is one thing that captured my attention and that is the legal/justice system. I would like to know more about it. What do you mean by "only segment of it is reinforced and the rest will be in the future"? Can you explain and/or give examples of already-enforced laws and which kind of laws are to be implemented in the future? When exactly in the future and who will have the authority to say "well we have reached that point and it is time to implement the remaining laws"?
  2. Do you believe Baha'ullah is the seal of Prophets and Messengers?
  3. Is the Kitab Al Aqdas written in a specific language (e.g. persian) or can it be written in various languages?
  4. I understand that Kitab Al Aqdas is the main source of Bahai but is it the only, i mean do you have the equivilant of 'sunnah/hadiths' in Bahai?
  5. From my understanding of your replies, 'Hell and Heaven' are state of mind/spirituality and not actual destination. Can you clarify please if what i got is right or wrong?
  6. Can i have access to Al Kitab Al Aqdas online?
Thank you again guys :)

Adib

Lover of World Religions
Hello again ProudMuslim! Excellent questions as usual. :)

ProudMuslim said:
1. There is one thing that captured my attention and that is the legal/justice system. I would like to know more about it. What do you mean by "only segment of it is reinforced and the rest will be in the future"? Can you explain and/or give examples of already-enforced laws and which kind of laws are to be implemented in the future? When exactly in the future and who will have the authority to say "well we have reached that point and it is time to implement the remaining laws"?

Examples of already-enforced laws include but are not limited to the recitation of the Greatest Name (Allah'u'abha) 95 times a day, practicing obligatory prayer, and performing Huquq'u'llah* ("the Right of God"), which is an annual payment of 19% of an individual's capital gain (profit after all mandatory expenses have been paid off, such as that of a car or house) to the Universal House of Justice, the governing body of the Baha'i Faith. That money could be used for various Baha'i projects, such as funding for programs to contribute to the growth of the Baha'i Faith; assistance for communities across the globe in dire need; and upkeep of important Baha'i sites.

Future laws mainly have to do with societal conditions, such as criminal law. When a Baha'i state is established, there will be a specific way to deal with criminals (for example, if thieves repeat a particular offense three times, a mark will be placed on their forehead so that others may know of his status - you'd think after three tries he'd quit stealing!). Another example is the age of maturity: while it is 15 in the Baha'i Faith for both genders, that only applies to the Baha'i Faith itself and not civil law for the time being (meaning you don't get to purchase tobacco at a convenience store just because you're mature according to Baha'i law; you have to obey civil standards).

"When exactly in the future" would be whenever a prominent Baha'i population in a country is achieved or when a Baha'i State is formed, and the Universal House of Justice gets to say "when."

*It should be noted that while Huquq'u'llah is obligatory if one has the means for it, this law cannot be enforced by any individual, and the fulfillment thereof is strictly a matter of conscience. People can't go around asking others to pay their Huquq'u'llah or harass an individual if they say they haven't done so - all the judging should be left to God. :)

ProudMuslim said:
2. Do you believe Baha'ullah is the seal of Prophets and Messengers?

He can answer that! :)

"Were any of the all-embracing Manifestations of God to declare: &#8220;I am God!&#8221; He verily speaketh the truth, and no doubt attacheth thereto. For it hath been repeatedly demonstrated that through their Revelation, their attributes and names, the Revelation of God, His name and His attributes, are made manifest in the world. Thus, He hath revealed: &#8220;Those shafts were God&#8217;s, not Thine!&#8221; And also He saith: &#8220;In truth, they who plighted fealty unto thee, really plighted that fealty unto God.&#8221; And were any of them to voice the utterance: &#8220;I am the Messenger of God,&#8221; He also speaketh the truth, the indubitable truth. Even as He saith: &#8220;Mu&#7717;ammad is not the father of any man among you, but He is the Messenger of God.&#8221; Viewed in this light, they are all but Messengers of that ideal King, that unchangeable Essence. And were they all to proclaim: &#8220;I am the Seal of the Prophets,&#8221; they verily utter but the truth, beyond the faintest shadow of doubt. For they are all but one person, one soul, one spirit, one being, one revelation. They are all the manifestation of the &#8220;Beginning&#8221; and the &#8220;End,&#8221; the &#8220;First&#8221; and the &#8220;Last,&#8221; the &#8220;Seen&#8221; and &#8220;Hidden&#8221;&#8212;all of which pertain to Him Who is the innermost Spirit of Spirits and eternal Essence of Essences." [Emphasis mine]

(Kitab-i-Iqan, pp. 178-179)

"Manifestation of God" in Baha'i terminology refers to those personages that perfectly mirror forth the attributes of God (not incarnation, there's a difference here). The Manifestations of God whom we know by name are Abraham, Krishna, the Buddha, Zoroaster, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, the Bab (Baha'u'llah's forerunner, similar to John the Baptist in Christianity), and Baha'u'llah. However, according to our Writings, there were also other Manifestations of God whose names have been lost to time and history.

That being said, Jesus, Muhammad, Baha'u'llah etc. are all the "Seal of the Prophets" because they are one and the same in essence, and all animated by the same Holy Spirit.

ProudMuslim said:
3. Is the Kitab Al Aqdas written in a specific language (e.g. persian) or can it be written in various languages?

Actually, the Kitab-i-Aqdas was originally written in Arabic, and my guess for that is because it's such a rich language and it allowed Baha'u'llah to fully express the meaning behind all of his laws and ordinances as potently as possible. In fact, he has numerous writings in Arabic.

It was officially translated into English in 1992 and is still being translated into other languages (in English, we had a summary of the book until 1992 known as The Synopsis and Codification of the Kitab-i-Aqdas). I believe the most recent version is Norwegian, done sometime last year.

ProudMuslim said:
4. I understand that Kitab Al Aqdas is the main source of Bahai but is it the only, i mean do you have the equivilant of 'sunnah/hadiths' in Bahai?

Actually we regard all of Baha'u'llah's works as well as those of `Abdu'l-Baha, his son, as scripture. The Aqdas focuses on the laws of the Faith, as you know, and Baha'u'llah's other writings focus on other subjects. He wrote over 15,000 documents in his lifetime, although many of them were individual letters to Persian believers.

But back to your question. I suppose the closest equivalent to hadiths or sunnah in the Baha'i Faith would be pilgrims' notes, which are the notes that individuals would write down when in the company of either `Abdu'l-Baha or Shoghi Effendi (`Abdu'l-Baha's grandson and "Guardian" of the Baha'i Faith). However, Baha'is generally consider pilgrims' notes to be unreliable and certainly not authoritative like the works written by Baha'u'llah, `Abdu'l-Baha, or Shoghi Effendi themselves.

ProudMuslim said:
5. From my understanding of your replies, 'Hell and Heaven' are state of mind/spirituality and not actual destination. Can you clarify please if what i got is right or wrong?

Essentially, yes. Remember that in the afterlife, heaven and hell are the spiritual states of closeness to and remoteness from God, respectively.

ProudMuslim said:
6. Can i have access to Al Kitab Al Aqdas online?

Most certainly! :) You can choose from the following languages:

At one point, you could listen to an entire oral recitation of the Aqdas at Al-Aqdas - I'm not sure if that feature is still available.

As always, please ask more as more comes to you! :)

Adib

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i
Proud Muslim:

Well Adib has done such an excellent job with the replies I certainly can do no better...

I wanted to add a few remarks..

The Kitab-i-Aqdas is not in actual size that large as books go..

When I think of all the law libraries where I live that focus on the Constitution and laws of the State of California it is truly mind boggling. And consider Canon law in Christianity and the four schools of jurisprudence in Islam ...

The Aqdas is such a physically small book by itself and yet for us Baha'is it has monumental implications..

Only portions have been implemented.

The explanations and responses to various questions are also very succinct and they are authoritative for us from Abdul-Baha and the Guardian Shoghi Effendi.

Certain elements of the Aqdas are left for the future to be clarified and implemented by the Universal House of Justice in the future.. It will be the responsibility of that body to explain how and in what manner some of these laws will be implemented.

Someday.. we believe there will be a sufficient number of Baha'is in a jurisdiction or state where some of these laws will be implemented and then the Universal House will provide the guidance..until that time, the Baha'is obey the laws of the lands where they live.

It is also true that the Baha'i community is very unified and our institutions are established to insure that unity and good order will prevail.

- Art:)

BruceDLimber

Hi again, PM! :)

Two more quick supplementary answers (as I see you've already gotten excellent answers from others!):

Huquq'u'llah (the Baha'i payment of 19% of surplus funds, if any, after all expenses have been paid) is an example of progressive change in that this law wasn't binding on us until 1992, at which time the House of Justice made it a universal obligation.

And to give a short reply, no, Baha'u'llah is NOT the "seal" of the prophets in the sense of the last one as there will always be more Divine Messengers sent by God! (Of course as you already know, every Messenger is the Seal in a metaphoric sense.)
One other note: you can find Baha'i books, etc. at these sites:

· www.bahai-library.org (click "Writings" for our scriptures),
· Baha'i Reference Library (this site is multilingual), and
· The Bahá'í Study Center (this site also has videos and talking books).

I would especially suggest The Book of Certitude (aka Kitab-i-Iqan) and Some Answered Questions (the latter by 'Abdu'l-Baha) if you'd like to understand the Baha'i Faith better! You may also want to look at The Hidden Words, which is a shorter, more poetic rendering of religious teachings. (Good hunting!) :)

Best regards, and we're looking forward to the next questions (as always)! :)

Bruce

Last edited:
I have a comment about the Kitab-i-Aqdas, about the fact that it took more than 100 years to translate it to English. It's not that there is a lack of translators in the world, or that Baha'is can't afford translators. It's rather an indication of the state of the world, that only now the Baha'is of the world are able to receive that book. It's also a statement that spirit comes before law.

A very good example is alcohol. Some people decide they want to be Baha'is, but they don't know about the law that Baha'is shouldn't drink alcohol. So I've heard a story of a newly-declared Baha'i who invites all his Baha'i friends to celebrate, opening a bottle of wine. You can imagine the embarassing situation for the Baha'is, who may choose to break the law once to honour the celebration, or not. Sooner or later, the newly-declared Baha'i will need to be told about the rule. And as that Baha'i slowly gets to know more about the Faith, he will probably be touched in such a way that he'll break his drinking habit.

So I think it's very important to keep that in mind: that there are Baha'i laws, but the essential is the spiritual journey, and that doesn't mean to follow all the laws from day one. After meeting the Baha'is, all I knew was that Baha'is needed to say a prayer once a day. So I asked a prayer book, and then I declared! After 9 years, I'm still in the process of aligning my lifestyle to Baha'i laws.

arthra

Baha'i
Well thanks Varion for the post! I heard the same story about the new Baha'i fasting but it was ohhh! I think in the seventies when I first heard it.. It could be an Urban Legend you know or maybe we could find it in that funny book called "Baha'i Lore".

Of course many of us had the Synopsis of the Codiofication by Shoghi Effendi some years before the Aqdas was published in English. I think it's wonderful how much care and accuracy went into publishing that book.

- Art

BruceDLimber

I think it's wonderful how much care and accuracy went into publishing that book.

And of course, that's the reason for the seemingly slow pace at which new translations of the (many) books of Baha'i scripture are released: the translators and the House of Justice do all they can to assure that each translation is perfect before it's released!

Best regards, :)

Bruce