• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've got a new cat

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I've decided I'm keeping her. She was lost on the street and followed me home, can't find her owner, and after being on the fence for so long, I nailed down the decision to keep her.

I don't know if she has had her shots yet, but I am not going to worry about it. She had a collar on her when I found her, and she is almost 6 months old by the looks of her, so I assume she's been given shots. If not, I heard they are not mandatory anyways.

I would like to get her fixed, that'll be pricey. I don't know if she is or not. Seems necessary if I don't want kittens or for her to go into heat.

I think I won't declaw her.

One thing I'm concerned about is litter box training. What's the easiest way to do this?

I plan on keeping her indoors, but I've been letting her go outside with me when I sit outside. I let her roam around and sit in my garage. I think I can trust her to come back, she already left and came back, so I let her go out of my eyesight. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

I need to buy a scratching post for sure. I bought her a few toys she hasn't played with yet. She's been sleeping in my bed with me and on my couch so I don't think I need a bed for her.

Anything else I should know? I'm still a little nervous about this, but I think it's just because I haven't had a pet of my own before and I'm not used to it.
Kitty loves to dig in the box, so if you provide it she will have no problem figuring out what it is for. Just put it in a corner where it's easy to vacuum around it.

It may be costly to get her fixed, but if you do you'll be doing her a favour too, especially if you let her roam. Males will be less inclined to attack her.

Declawing is outlawed where I live, so good decision.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I've decided I'm keeping her. She was lost on the street and followed me home, can't find her owner, and after being on the fence for so long, I nailed down the decision to keep her.

I don't know if she has had her shots yet, but I am not going to worry about it. She had a collar on her when I found her, and she is almost 6 months old by the looks of her, so I assume she's been given shots. If not, I heard they are not mandatory anyways.

I would like to get her fixed, that'll be pricey. I don't know if she is or not. Seems necessary if I don't want kittens or for her to go into heat.

One thing I'm concerned about is litter box training. What's the easiest way to do this?

I plan on keeping her indoors, but I've been letting her go outside with me when I sit outside. I let her roam around and sit in my garage. I think I can trust her to come back, she already left and came back, so I let her go out of my eyesight. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

I need to buy a scratching post for sure. I bought her a few toys she hasn't played with yet. She's been sleeping in my bed with me and on my couch so I don't think I need a bed for her.

Anything else I should know? I'm still a little nervous about this, but I think it's just because I haven't had a pet of my own before and I'm not used to it.

It's good that you have adopted each other.

I'd advise not to let her roam for a couple of weeks while she gets used to you, the house and feeding routine.

I have a couple of stray cats who adopted me, there was no need to train to use the litter tray. At first they went outside but within a few days they found the tray more convenient (and their slave cleaned it up for them) win/win for the cats

At first when she uses the tray how about giving her a treat just to reinforce the use

She needs to be neutered, it will save her a lot of problems later.

I also use frontline spot-on once a month to keep fleas and ticks away.

gnomon

Everybody else has already provided great information, especially do not declaw her........but......

What's her name? If I may I would suggest Bijou. It means jewel. I had a cat run up to me on two occasions coming home from work and she was missing an eye. She was playful but unfortunately would only stay for a little while before moving on. I called her Bijou.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Attachments

• 53645138-4DE4-46F9-9390-A7C423A0A8B5.jpeg
    53645138-4DE4-46F9-9390-A7C423A0A8B5.jpeg
    567.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2228.jpeg
    IMG_2228.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2231.jpeg
    IMG_2231.jpeg
    540.3 KB · Views: 36

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My cat I took in a few months back had a little scuffle today. Nothing bad. She just slapped it on the head every time it moved lol.
I finally picked it up and put it out in the woods.View attachment 78739

One of mine tries to make friends with snakes and brings them into the house to play with her toys. Luckily they are only grass snakes, i don't know what I'd do if she brought in a viper

Schwarzweg

Ullr, Nebet-Het,Wendigowak

Toll, aber ich muß Dir leider was Beschissenes mitteilen und DAS aus Erfahrung :
Erzählung :
Habe Katze angesprochen.............................................
Katze ist mir gefolgt .......................................................
Freigängerin
Lebt in meiner Gegend und sieht nicht GANZ so schön aus
Wie es kommen MUSSTE
Ich nahm sie auf , hatte vordem noch NIE ne Katze
In beiden Ohren je ne Nummer
ICH hab mich nicht gerührt und ich und Katze haben uns bombig eingelebt im Sinne von "sie gehört mir nun"
Musste auch 2 mal mit ihr zum Tierarzt
Nach jetzt ca. 31/2 Jahren wurde ich aufs ätzendste vergiftet und ich werde das Sterben nie vergessen und überwinden , aber
was wollte ich Dir sagen ............................
Es war Diebstahl , weil ich sie nicht abgegeben habe ........................
Ob DU sie mitnimmst, oder SIE bei Dir sein will
Gesetzlich ist es Diebstahl, aber ich verstehe Dich .............................................
Werde Dir im Klaren darüber .................
Was nun hier geschehen ist .......weiß niemand und es fragt auch niemand nach ihr
Sie , ich sag mal vorsichtig .................IST aber noch auf unseren Grundstück .................
Es war alles schlimmer als der Tod eines geliebten Menschen ............
Denk drüber nach und sei Dir bewußt ..........ICH habs aber AUCH getan und wir beide wissen WARUM
DU hast es jetzt AUCH getan
Sie will bei Dir sein, und ihr werdet Euch einleben aber sei anderen Menschen gegenüber vorsichtig bitte
Ich habe sehr viel Verständnis dafür ..........alles Gute Euch beiden !!!
LG

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
exchemist said:
I’ve often heard it said that a female cat should be allowed one litter of kittens before being sterilised, for psychological reasons, or they may become neurotic. Is there any truth in that, do you think?
Why would spinster cats have a psychological need for children? That's imputing human cultural values to a non-social creature.

They have a periodic sex drive. They have a mothering drive when they do have kittens, but they have no social pressure from their cat communities to breed. Their mothers don't even teach them where kittens come from, much less that they have a duty in life to reproduce.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Why would spinster cats have a psychological need for children? That's imputing human cultural values to a non-social creature.

They have a periodic sex drive. They have a mothering drive when they do have kittens, but they have no social pressure from their cat communities to breed. Their mothers don't even teach them where kittens come from, much less that they have a duty in life to reproduce.
Not at all. The mothering instinct is something most mammals have. And some cats most certainly are neurotic, so they do have a psychology, as most moderately intelligent creatures seem to.

But I have no axe to grind. I was simply asking the question.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, a mothering instinct -- once triggered by an oxytocin flood during birth.
And a sex drive -- to have sex. But actual reproduction, as a goal? --- Doubtful.
The connection between sex and reproduction isn't innate knowledge, even in humans.