• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Magic

UnTheist

No. It just has to be improbable. (although some supposed miracles are not very improbable at all)

FatMan

No. Somebody could burn their toasted cheese just enough so that an image of the Virgin Mary appears.

All of that is covered under the laws of science.
toast.jpg

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
No. Somebody could burn their toasted cheese just enough so that an image of the Virgin Mary appears.

All of that is covered under the laws of science.
toast.jpg
But what makes that a religious miracle, then? Don't miracles generally occur spontaneously to the person to whom they are revealed?

FatMan

But what makes that a religious miracle, then? Don't miracles generally occur spontaneously to the person to whom they are revealed?

I was just joking. I don't think it is a miracle anymore than I think it is a miracle when the Virgin Mary appears on a viaduct wall after a rainstorm, or worse yet, after somebody urinated:D

However, some people do classify such events as miracles.

Popeyesays

In1863, Baha`u'llah wasvisited by arepresentative ofoneof the primereligious schools in Karbila. The assembled mullahin requested Him to perform a miracle to convince the divines of Baha`u'llah's claim to revelation.

The younger professor of religion who came to Baha`u'llah with the challenge was very respectful. Baha`u'llah said He would perform any miracle IF the divines could agree as to what that miraclemight be. They also must agree to accept Baha`u'llah as aProphet of God if the miracle was performed.

The young scholartookBaha`u'llah's counter challenge back home.The professors of the school spent months trying to agree on a miracle. They decided they would not match the challenge for fear Baha`u'llah would deliver on Hisclaim.

The young professor was offended by the behavior ofhis masters, and carried their refusal to meet Baha`u'llah's requirements to Baha`u'llah. When he met with Baha`u'llah the young man accepted Baha`u'llah's claim and never returned to his school in Karbila.

Even amiracle that never takes place can convince.

Regards,
Scott

cardero

Citizen Mod
Look at ALL of the "miracles" and once you UNDERSTAND how they are done, then it doesn't seem like magic anymore, does it?

HELLO IT'S ME: An Interview With GOD
Chapter: Jesus The Christ
Pg: 115

Random

What about to complex people?

Complex people might assume that some natural metaphysical powers of the human being, lost in the distant past yet latent in every newborn, are unlocked and restored in some individuals of exceptional DNA bloodlines by certain esoteric religious processes. The use of these powers, especially in an ancient setting, qualified one as a god or super-natural being, whose deeds were deemed "miraculous". Jesus, Buddha, Krsna, Zoroaster...think. Makes sense to me, course, you will probably say I'm crazy, neverheless...

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Does something have to defy the laws of science to be a religious "miracle"?

"Miracles" are for the less intelligent. if it happens, it has a scientific explanation, whether or not that explanation or law is known. As a matter of fact, God and souls may be part of the scientific equation that we just don't understand yet.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"Miracles" are for the less intelligent. if it happens, it has a scientific explanation, whether or not that explanation or law is known. As a matter of fact, God and souls may be part of the scientific equation that we just don't understand yet.
Your attitude has a name, it's called "scientism." :) What makes the person who provides "supernatural" as an explanation less intelligent than the person who claims that there is a scientific explanation, we just don't have it yet? Surely, even from the view of scientism, both are degrees of ignorance?

Random

Your attitude has a name, it's called "scientism." :) What makes the person who provides "supernatural" as an explanation less intelligent than the person who claims that there is a scientific explanation, we just don't have it yet? Surely, even from the view of scientism, both are degrees of ignorance?

I think he means if "miracles" have explanations as superpowers with mechanisms by which they work, then they are not supernatural in the sense simple people mean by "miraculous".