• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It's Begun

cottage

I would think that atheists would be more offended by this site than theists- simply because it makes atheism into almost a religion. We all know that atheism is the lack of religion- in other words they aren't a religion, so they shouldn't act like one. ;)

Generally, I just don't get the point of capaigning atheists. And I say that as one who holds the view that all religions are false, fabricated to satisfy human hopes and desires. None of us can explain existence, the atheist no more than the theist. Anti-religion, and by I mean organised opposition, does have a place though, and that is where governments (theocracies) impose on the governed edicts based solely upon supernatural beliefs.

Cottage

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Generally, I just don't get the point of capaigning atheists. And I say that as one who holds the view that all religions are false, fabricated to satisfy human hopes and desires. None of us can explain existence, the atheist no more than the theist. Anti-religion, and by I mean organised opposition, does have a place though, and that is where governments (theocracies) impose on the governed edicts based solely upon supernatural beliefs.

Cottage
Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. There's basically a group for everything, and some groups have a specific purpose. I don't see why the purpose of a group of atheists to undermine religious teachings is any more silly or shocking than the purpose of a church youth group to evangelize their religion.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I was confused because I am not engaged in "assaults on religion" but yet you referred to me.
You asked me a question. I quoted you when I answered to avoid confusion as to who I was talking to. I was never referring to you.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. There's basically a group for everything, and some groups have a specific purpose. I don't see why the purpose of a group of atheists to undermine religious teachings is any more silly or shocking than the purpose of a church youth group to evangelize their religion.
For me, it's the pretense of calling it "the final assault on religion" as if this group is going to make the billions of believers in the world abandon their faith. It's like a gnat declaring a final assault on a bull. Now, I'm unclear as to whether that phrase was from the group itself or just the OP, but it tickled me.

themadhair

I know this is the wrong thread for this, but that is such an annoying thing to read.
Why so? 44+million people claim Scotch ancestry worldwide. Scotland only has around 5 million Scots. Why would it be surprising that the 44 had more than the 5?

Jeremiah

You asked me a question. I quoted you when I answered to avoid confusion as to who I was talking to. I was never referring to you.

I was just pointing out that you are generalizing, Storm. When you say it so broadly "atheists" then yes you are referring to me also.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
For me, it's the pretense of calling it "the final assault on religion" as if this group is going to make the billions of believers in the world abandon their faith. It's like a gnat declaring a final assault on a bull. Now, I'm unclear as to whether that phrase was from the group itself or just the OP, but it tickled me.
Oh, I agree: It does sound extremely arrogant and presumptuous.

I do think that was just the OP though. The mission statement, per the website, says that the group's aim is to "encourage critical thinking and erode the influence of dogmatism, superstition, and bigotry in our world." Hardly a "final assault", though certainly a slow and steady approach to their ultimate goal (I would think) of eradicating religion.

I don't get why some atheists feel you have to go around converting people, what happens then is generally non atheists have little contact with the ones who don't feel this way, for obvious reasons, and label all atheists with the same sticker.

I do get though how If however you are constantly being told that your beliefs are somehow evil you might be inclined to become antagonistic towards others.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

Maybe they are just more self important. ;) It would take a lot more to abandon my faith than some group telling me to, I would guess the same for other theists.:p

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I don't get why some atheists feel you have to go around converting people, what happens then is generally non atheists have little contact with the ones who don't feel this way, for obvious reasons, and label all atheists with the same sticker.
Why should atheists have to keep their opinions to themselves? Why is it strange for an atheist to offer up his or her opinion?

Getting put into the same class as the most vocal of your group is a common disadvantage of all groups of people. The only thing we can do is make sure that people know that all atheists aren't just alike, just as all Christians aren't just alike.

I do get though how If however you are constantly being told that your beliefs are somehow evil you might be inclined to become antagonistic towards others.
Though this group is obviously antagonistic towards religion, all (vocal) atheists aren't necessarily antagonistic.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Though this group is obviously antagonistic towards religion, all (vocal) atheists aren't necessarily antagonistic.

I would go further and say that most atheists are not antagonistic, just a few. And just like the self-righteous in faiths give theists a bad name, although they are a few- the small amount of antagonistic atheists give the rest of them a bad name, too. Whether you mean or want to or not, each person is representative of their faith and lack of faith.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I actually kind of like Richard Dawkins, and I certainly like him a whole lot more than idiots like Robertson, Kennedy, Dobson and etc.

I don't mind a logical argument that sheds light in places where we tend to fool ourselves by making faith into fact. But I think there is an agenda here, and that many times atheists like this are fooling themselves by assuming that they're objective, when they're really not.

Why should atheists have to keep their opinions to themselves? Why is it strange for an atheist to offer up his or her opinion?

I am not talking about offering an opinion, I am talking about actively seeking to convert others and denigrating people based on their beliefs, this is one of my own greatest problems with some religious people, and I don't want to be associated with it

Getting put into the same class as the most vocal of your group is a common disadvantage of all groups of people. The only thing we can do is make sure that people know that all atheists aren't just alike, just as all Christians aren't just alike.

I agree

I would disagree with you their, atheists are often antagonistic towards people as well as religions, I have been in chat rooms where Muslims have be villified as terrorists and Christians are percieved as idiots, if you haven't come across this, then I guess you are lucky.

My point is that the media attention falls on the militant atheists and the others who are not trying to impose their belief system on people are not represented.