• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

It is wrong . And bad?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Is it wrong and bad to believe in reicarnation if you are a christian?

You who Are not christian, what do you think about Christians who believe in reicarnation?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

You who Are not christian, what do you think about Christians who believe in reicarnation?
That those Christian who believe in reincarnation has studied well, expanded their beliefs. And if it does not contradict the bible in any way, it is a personal understanding that can lead to deeper wisdom

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
That those Christian who believe in reincarnation has studied well, expanded their beliefs. And if it does not contradict the bible in any way, it is a personal understanding that can lead to deeper wisdom
Do you believe in reincarnation? I'm Just curious:blush:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not very knowledgeable, but reincarnation was part of Christian beliefs, originally. I think it was the Nicaean Council who threw it out(I invite other members to correct me if this is not where it was tossed out at).

I think there is still a Celtic Christian sect, the Culdees, that believe in it.

Jack11

Nobody really knows what happens at death - we have beliefs - no one has ever gotten an explanation of exactly what goes on. Jesus explained nothing he basically said we wouldn't understand. I don't know of any faith that describes the workings of the afterlife. We see a cycle in nature so its not out of the question. It won't work for a Christian because you would have multiple bodies and personalities. But the part of you that goes on is not really you unless its in your body. The body would give it Identity. He described the body as filters on how you see the world giving us identity - you loss those filters at death go into another body and see with its filters - no two bodies see the world the same way. I heard an explanation by Sadhguru a long these lines. It was interesting I just don't understand the end game of that belief. I did understand the point of life which was to continue to gain experience - its all about experience.

Dogknox20

You who Are not Christian, what do you think about Christians who believe in reincarnation?

Nope Christians do NOT believe in reincarnation.. It goes against Christianity! Jesus died so we would not die!
We will be glorified we will receive our glorified bodies back at the Judgement! There is no room for Reincarnation in the Christian faith! BUT....

Starlight94
but I often thought IF I was to come back Reincarnated I would like to be a "Sludge worm" always having food because I would be swimming in it!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nobody really knows what happens at death - we have beliefs - no one has ever gotten an explanation of exactly what goes on. Jesus explained nothing he basically said we wouldn't understand. I don't know of any faith that describes the workings of the afterlife. We see a cycle in nature so its not out of the question. It won't work for a Christian because you would have multiple bodies and personalities. But the part of you that goes on is not really you unless its in your body. The body would give it Identity. He described the body as filters on how you see the world giving us identity - you loss those filters at death go into another body and see with its filters - no two bodies see the world the same way. I heard an explanation by Sadhguru a long these lines. It was interesting I just don't understand the end game of that belief. I did understand the point of life which was to continue to gain experience - its all about experience.

Everyone knows what death is like.

All of us were most certainly dead prior to being born.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Is it wrong and bad to believe in reicarnation if you are a christian? You who Are not christian, what do you think about Christians who believe in reicarnation?

Bible teaches ' resurrection ' and Not reincarnation.
Jesus resurrected people; Not reincarnated people.
Jesus was giving us a small sample of: resurrection.
In the coming BIG picture, Jesus' thousand-year reign over Earth, what resurrections Jesus did on a small scale he will resurrect on a GRAND scale.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Nobody really knows what happens at death - we have beliefs - no one has ever gotten an explanation of exactly what goes on. Jesus explained nothing he basically said we wouldn't understand. I don't know of any faith that describes the workings of the afterlife...........................

Jesus I find does teach 'what happens at death'.
Jesus teaches the dead ' sleep ' in death at John 11:11-14.
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures which also teaches unconscious 'sleep' in death.
For example: Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5.

Jesus never taught ' afterlife ' ( meaning: being more alive after death then before death )
Jesus taught and demonstrated ' resurrection ' ( restoring back to future life - Acts of the Apostles 24:15 )
While on earth the resurrections Jesus performed restored people back to live life again.
Jesus was giving us a preview, a coming attraction of what he did on a small scale he will do on a GRAND scale.
People who died before Jesus died (John 3:13) resurrected to a happy-and-healthy physical life on Earth.
Some people who died after Jesus' died resurrected to govern with Jesus in Heaven - Revelation 5:9-10; 20:6.
The resurrected majority can be part of the humble meek people who will inherit the Earth as Jesus promised - Matthew 5:5; Psalms 37:9-11.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
All of us were not existing prior to being born. We do not go out of existence at death.
I can agree that all of us were not existing prior to conception.
Adam did Not exist before God breathed the 'breath of life' into life-less Adam - Genesis 2:7
At his death Adam ' returned ' to where Adam started, the dust of the ground - Genesis 3:19
A person can Not ' return ' to a place he never was before.
So, like Adam we go from non-life, to life, and then at death return back to non-life.
Because we are innocent of what sinner Adam did is why God sent Jesus as a ransom for us - Matthew 20:28.
We would go ' out of existence ' at death if it were Not for Jesus' sacrifice for us. Thank you Jesus.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

I think it depends on what type of Christian one is. If one is an orthodox (lowercase o) Christian, one cannot believe in reincarnation. This is because Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Oriental Orthodoxy, Assyrian Christianity, Protestant traditions, and Protestant-derived traditions officially reject reincarnation. On the other hand, Esoteric Christians and Gnostic Christians may believe in reincarnation. With Esoteric Christianity and Gnostic Christianity, belief in reincarnation probably depends on the tradition or the individual.

As a Hindu, I suspect that heterodox Christians who believe in reincarnation are perhaps closer to the original disciples of Jesus, and perhaps Jesus himself. For instance, the ninth chapter of the Gospel of John, says this:

And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him (John 9.1-3, KJV).​

It is interesting that not one disciple (singular) but the disciples (plural) wondered if the man who was born blind had committed a sin that resulted in him being born blind. If that man was ultimately a soul that experiences many human lives, it would be possible for him to commit a sin before his birth. On the other hand, if his soul came into existence at his conception, there is no way he could have committed a sin beforehand. While Jesus denies that he had committed a sin that resulted in him being blind at birth, Jesus does not explicitly reject the idea of him committing any sin (or good deed, for that matter) before his birth, which would have been in a previous lifetime. Finally, considering that the disciples apparently believed in reincarnation, one has to wonder where they learned that doctrine.

I think it was the Nicaean Council who threw it out(I invite other members to correct me if this is not where it was tossed out at).

Reincarnation was formally rejected at the Second Council of Constantinople in 553 CE. The bishops anathematized those who teach reincarnation and strange doctrines such as having spherical bodies at the resurrection. I read the documents from that council several years ago when I was a Christian.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
All of us were not existing prior to being born. We do not go out of existence at death.

Nor we ever had gone out of existence before we were born. 'You' certainly did exist.

Think on just how old every atom in your body is.

Even before those atoms were formed 'you' were always around as well, through one form or another throughout eternity.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

As long as it doesn't overcome your mind and cause you to do crazy stuff, it's fine.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I can agree that all of us were not existing prior to conception.
Adam did Not exist before God breathed the 'breath of life' into life-less Adam - Genesis 2:7
At his death Adam ' returned ' to where Adam started, the dust of the ground - Genesis 3:19
A person can Not ' return ' to a place he never was before.
So, like Adam we go from non-life, to life, and then at death return back to non-life.
Because we are innocent of what sinner Adam did is why God sent Jesus as a ransom for us - Matthew 20:28.
We would go ' out of existence ' at death if it were Not for Jesus' sacrifice for us. Thank you Jesus.

When our body dies our soul is still alive. Matthew 10:28
Does Adam get a resurrection at the judgement?

Jack11

Jesus I find does teach 'what happens at death'.
Jesus teaches the dead ' sleep ' in death at John 11:11-14.
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures which also teaches unconscious 'sleep' in death.
For example: Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5.

Jesus never taught ' afterlife ' ( meaning: being more alive after death then before death )
Jesus taught and demonstrated ' resurrection ' ( restoring back to future life - Acts of the Apostles 24:15 )
While on earth the resurrections Jesus performed restored people back to live life again.
Jesus was giving us a preview, a coming attraction of what he did on a small scale he will do on a GRAND scale.
People who died before Jesus died (John 3:13) resurrected to a happy-and-healthy physical life on Earth.
Some people who died after Jesus' died resurrected to govern with Jesus in Heaven - Revelation 5:9-10; 20:6.
The resurrected majority can be part of the humble meek people who will inherit the Earth as Jesus promised - Matthew 5:5; Psalms 37:9-11.
There is no description of the afterlife nothing you have posted gives anyone any idea of what it is like. If it does tell us how it all works? You don't know nobody does you have to die to find out.

Is it wrong and bad to believe in reicarnation if you are a christian?...

It is not what Bible teaches. And Bible tells that everyone must die once and after that there can be eternal life, if one is righteous.

Inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once, and after this, judgment,
Heb. 9:27

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

The idea of incarnation is in contradiction with that.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
There is no description of the afterlife nothing you have posted gives anyone any idea of what it is like. If it does tell us how it all works? You don't know nobody does you have to die to find out.
Of course there is No description of the afterlife because 'afterlife' means more alive after death than before death.
Sleep is sleep, the dead know nothing according to Ecclesiastes 9:5
No life for the dead person, just unconscious sleep.
So, as you know nothing while you are asleep, the dead also know nothing. ( No pain, No bliss )
This is why Jesus taught the dead are in a sleep-like state at John 11:11-14
Sleep ( Not knowing anything while dead ) as the OT teaches as Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5.
A dead person 'sleeps in death ' until Resurrection Day.
Resurrection Day meaning Jesus' coming Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years.
This is why the ' future tense ' is used at Acts of the Apostles 24:15 that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection.
It does Not say there was a resurrection ( a coming back to life, awakened from death's sleep ) but that there will be a resurrection in the future for the sleeping dead.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
When our body dies our soul is still alive. Matthew 10:28
Does Adam get a resurrection at the judgement?
I find at Matthew 10:28 B Jesus teaches to be in fear of him who can destroy the soul......
Gospel writer Luke wrote at Acts of the Apostles 3:23 that the soul can be destroyed.
So, it is No wonder Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35 agrees the wicked will be destroyed forever.
We are given the opportunity to ' repent ' if we don't want to 'perish' (<- be destroyed ) - 2 Peter 3:9
Unlike imperfect us, Adam was perfect and could only sin on purpose.
Jesus likened the founding or foundation of mankind being with faithful 'Abel' at Matthew 23:35.
So, No there will be No resurrection for Adam - just that returning to dust - Genesis 3:19
Plus, remember the 'coming judgement' ( see Matthew 25:31-33,37) is for the living.
This coming ' time of separation judgement ' to take place on Earth at Jesus' Glory Time is for living people.